Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

8 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

What did we do in our previous lives to deserve this?

I'm going to spin this positive for a minute...

Maybe we are paying for the way John Riggins treated that Dolphins DB during his iconic Super Bowl run? Maybe we are paying for how images of Doug Williams' sprials still cause the 1987 Broncos secondary to wake up in cold sweats. Or maybe we are paying for how Andre Reed is still getting clocked by Brad Edwards right as the ball arrives?

I know that ineptitude in the front office is the primary reason we suck. But maybe this is the natural balance of things when you have an era as special and enjoyable as the one we enjoyed while Gibbs was here from 1981-1992? 

Even if I'm wrong, it makes me feel better!

1 hour ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Thanks to signing Alex Smith for too much money our cap space is not as good as it might have been.  Allen should be trying to find a way out of the Alex mess he created so we can bring in more depth to deal with these injuries.  If I am Gruden, I cannot wait to be fired so I can find another job.  He has his $25 million already in the bank, so he can leave this dumpster fire for a new Skin head coach to confront.  Also, why keep Colt McCoy around now too?  The next head coach will release him.

The problem is there really is no way out of Smith's contract for another year unless he retires and even that would necessitate some kind of deal. No one knew he'd get hurt. It really was a "**** happens" kind of situation. Having Keenum relatively inexpensively does help cushion the blow a bit.

Gruden will be unemployable when he leaves here, unless maybe as an OC and even then his playcalling has proven to be highly inflexible over the last several years. McCoy should have been gone along with Perine and Grant a year ago.

2 minutes ago, illone said:

The "Universe Is Balanced" angle:cheers:

This means the Patriots are going to suck soon!

Soon? In the 40 years pre-Belichick they were 275-312-9 and made the playoffs only 10 times. They are being rewarded for 1960 through 1999. 

4 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

The problem is there really is no way out of Smith's contract for another year unless he retires and even that would necessitate some kind of deal. No one knew he'd get hurt. It really was a "**** happens" kind of situation. Having Keenum relatively inexpensively does help cushion the blow a bit.

Gruden will be unemployable when he leaves here, unless maybe as an OC and even then his playcalling has proven to be highly inflexible over the last several years. McCoy should have been gone along with Perine and Grant a year ago.

I don't think Gruden has any issue finding an OC job once he's gone. 

4 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Soon? In the 40 years pre-Belichick they were 275-312-9 and made the playoffs only 10 times. They are being rewarded for 1960 through 1999. 

These things usually only last a decade or so, right?

Soon as Brady + Billy are gone, they'll be cellar dwellers.:ols:

Mike Lombardi lambasted Dan in an Athletic article today.  I didn't know that Lombardi grew up a Redskin fan.  For whomever has a subscription its worth a read.  If not here are a few points from it.   I don't agree that the coach is a Dan lackey.  But I agree with the culture stuff and the committee stuff big time. 

Screen Shot 2019-09-13 at 12.34.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-13 at 12.35.01 PM.png

1 hour ago, ntotoro said:

Outside of Cousins himself, Gruden is the guy that helped curate a system to assist Cousins in becoming a franchise QB. Admittedly, I value Grudens ability to get the best out of QBs extremely high skewing my overall perceived value of him higher than most. 

Gruden will have a line of teams waiting to hire him as OC if let go by Skins. I believe he’ll be a head coach again and would t be surprised if it happened right away. 

12 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Outside of Cousins himself, Gruden is the guy that helped curate a system to assist Cousins in becoming a franchise QB. Admittedly, I value Grudens ability to get the best out of QBs extremely high skewing my overall perceived value of him higher than most. 

Gruden will have a line of teams waiting to hire him as OC if let go by Skins. I believe he’ll be a head coach again and would t be surprised if it happened right away. 

Yeah Gruden is seen here by some as garbage but one thing for example both Mike Garafalo and Albert Breer have both said is that he's respected much more around the league than he is from Redskins fans and some others in the national media.   Both thinking he's a good coach.  I think he's a good coach, too.  Not a great coach.  But a good one.  Yes he has weaknesses but they pretty much all do.  Are there coaches I covet over Jay?  Sure.  But do I think any boob that walks in the door will be an improvement over Jay?  Nope.

I think another underrated thing about Jay is his ability to evaluate talent.   Most (including personnel people who were quoted anonymously) think he's one of the better evaluators in the league among head coaches. 

I think there is some value in continuity.    Dalton played well under Jay.  Kirk played better under Jay then he did under Shanny or in Minny thus far.   Keenum had a career type game last Sunday.  Jay IMO isn't the moron that some label him to be when you read some of the descriptions in different posts.

But yeah if you can get a Lincoln Riley type or name that intriguing HC prospect.  I am interested.  But I doubt they are coming here. 

2 hours ago, ntotoro said:

**** doesn’t happen if you don’t make the deal to begin with.  Alex’s contributions when healthy weren’t worth the deal he got.  Getting Case for cheap doesn’t soften the blow at all.  It hits harder because he could have been had much cheaper.

Going .500 with the Skins is an automatic ticket to a job elsewhere.  You’re nuts if you think Jay is unemployable.  Sounds like typical Redskins fan delirium where a new coach is going to make this otherwise great franchise great again.

1 minute ago, TK said:

Jordan Reed OUT

Allen OUT

Brantley OUT

Dunbar Questionable

Moreau Doubtful 

Guice or McCoy could go to IR to open up space with the current injuries

Yep been posting that in the prediction thread.  Scary considering Dallas sadly is loaded.    Be wild if they get romped in front of a stadium full of Cowboys fans.   Wonder how Dan would react. 

13 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

**** doesn’t happen if you don’t make the deal to begin with.  Alex’s contributions when healthy weren’t worth the deal he got.  Getting Case for cheap doesn’t soften the blow at all.  It hits harder because he could have been had much cheaper.

Going .500 with the Skins is an automatic ticket to a job elsewhere.  You’re nuts if you think Jay is unemployable.  Sounds like typical Redskins fan delirium where a new coach is going to make this otherwise great franchise great again.

Other than Schott, who was already a known HC before coming here, how many former HC's here... have gone on to do anything? The best thing would have been to get rid of Gruden and promote McVeigh, but optics and all...

56 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Then he makes a great QB coach, not a HC , but Cousins also has the same weaknesses as a QB that Gruden has a HC: Neither one is capable of improvising off the plan and both cough it up when it matters. Dislike of and disdain for the FO and Gruden are not mutually exclusive.

The other thing I'd add about week #2 is all that happened in week #1 is that we almost upset on the road a team that some believe is the best in the NFL.

Maybe the season isn't lost?  Jay has some time to recover.  😀

My position on Dan-Bruce have been steady.  I don't care for either one of them but I don't feel anything different about them today then I did before Sunday.   There is nothing that happened on Sunday that makes me feel worse now about the season.

Keenum was better than I expected.  The receivers were as good as I expected.   The defense was worse than I expected.   But on the aggregate, I saw nothing in that game that made me want to throw in the towel for the season.   All is not lost. 😀

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

There is nothing that happened on Sunday that makes me feel worse now about the season.

I wasn’t expecting the defense to fail to get off the field in 3rd and long and have miscommunications.  

The offense was a very pleasant surprise.  

The defense was a massive disappointment.  Given they have, in theory, more talent on defense.

14 minutes ago, TK said:

Jordan Reed OUT

Allen OUT

Brantley OUT

Dunbar Questionable

Moreau Doubtful 

Guice or McCoy could go to IR to open up space with the current injuries

Couldn't the Redskins just cut McCoy and re-sign him later if they need to?  He's in the final year of his deal and his $3M salary is guaranteed at this point so there's no injury settlement needed.  What teams are going to be lined up to sign him when it's unclear if he'll pass a physical?  

1 hour ago, ntotoro said:

Other than Schott, who was already a known HC before coming here, how many former HC's here... have gone on to do anything? 

Spurrier - should have never been hired in the first place.

Gibbs - Old & chose to retire again.

Zorn - should have never been hired in the first place.

Shanahan - Old & that certainly factored into him "retiring".

Gruden on the other hand is much younger and well respected in league circles.  Some would say being .500ish 4 years in a row here is actually a massive accomplishment.  I am certain that Jay Gruden at minimum will get an OC job the moment he wants one.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

But on the aggregate, I saw nothing in that game that made me want to throw in the towel for the season.   All is not lost. 😀

I'm going to have to see a really strong offensive performance for four quarters this Sunday not to think that what happened in the first half was somewhat of an aberration based on the fact that the Eagles starters had barely played at all in the preseason and were clearly a bit rusty. The way they shut us down in the second half - on both sides - does not bode well for optimists. 

Also not throwing in the towel, but I no longer have a towel to throw. Snyder has driven me to "interested observer" status. Looking at the latest and unsurprising list of injuries, seeing that we are outmatched at every skill position, pretty much knowing that our stadium will be overrun with opposing team's fans, knowing that Gruden's record against division opponents is abysmal (only one win against Dallas at home, only 3 wins total since 2014), I'm expecting Mr. T's prediction in the Rocky III fight to ring true on Sunday. 

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I wasn’t expecting the defense to fail to get off the field in 3rd and long and have miscommunications.  

The offense was a very pleasant surprise.  

The defense was a massive disappointment.  Given they have, in theory, more talent on defense.

I agree but I'll give the defense an opportunity to bounce back.

The vibe on some of these threads is like we got blown out by some runt team like the Jets at home.    I get the sadness and disappointment of a loss.  I felt it too. But on the surface all that happened is that they almost upset what some seem to think is the best team in the NFL on the road.  

There were somethings that I really liked in that soup from Sunday.  A QB and good receivers who can move the ball in the air -- that was shades of 2015 and 2016.  I enjoyed those offenses.  It was fun to see that back and I hope its back to stay.  If they can get the run game started and the defense settles down -- they can actually have a good season.  It doesn't seem that crazy to me.

Frankly, I was stunned by Keenum's performance.  If he plays like that this season then maybe the if only he played like 2017 narrative might actually come to life.

Or maybe it all goes south.  But I am not in the doom or gloom crowd about the season based on last Sunday.  There was plenty to like about it.  I am not debating that it could go south and it happens fast.  But for me I will wait for that to happen before panicking like some seem to be. 

2 hours ago, Dissident2 said:

I'm going to have to see a really strong offensive performance for four quarters this Sunday not to think that what happened in the first half was somewhat of an aberration based on the fact that the Eagles starters had barely played at all in the preseason and were clearly a bit rusty. The way they shut us down in the second half - on both sides - does not bode well for optimists. 

Also not throwing in the towel, but I no longer have a towel to throw. Snyder has driven me to "interested observer" status. Looking at the latest and unsurprising list of injuries, seeing that we are outmatched at every skill position, pretty much knowing that our stadium will be overrun with opposing team's fans, knowing that Gruden's record against division opponents is abysmal (only one win against Dallas at home, only 3 wins total since 2014), I'm expecting Mr. T's prediction in the Rocky III fight to ring true on Sunday. 

Part of my optimism is I was big on McLaurin and Harmon before the draft.  So I am predisposed to think they might be the real deal.    As for Keenum, I don't know.  But he was really good last Sunday.  it's not that i am brimming with optimism.  But nothing I saw on Sunday fuels any pessimism either.  That game to me was no disaster.  

As for all the hits on Jay, he tends to do poorly in openers but to stick with your Rocky analogy, he tends to win the next round.    Jay has his faults but they don't tend be 3-13 seasons that spiral out of control right out of the gate.

Yeah Snyder depresses me too.  I get that angle.  but I guess I am not in the same place as you -- at least not yet as to be an interested observer.    What I hang my hope on is the college drafting here which has starkly improved IMO.    So at least they have something going for them as to the FO.  Not enough though as I've spelled out on this thread many times.   But as to the season, it felt to me like an 8-8 before Sunday.  Nothing I saw that game made me feel worse about that take. 

I want to be clear.  I like Jay Gruden.  But he cannot be expected to achieve with a run down beater of a car that's in the shop every few weeks.

The reality is he will want out I think.

Bruce has to go, clean house in the personnel department, keep scouts  And bring in someone who has done personnel before.

Now I ruin the thread with my Cowboys prediction.  Redskins win by 3 scores or more

The fan base breathes a sigh of relief, maybe we arent as bad as we thought.

Then the following week we loose case for most of the remaining season due to injury.

I don't know what happens beyond that as the magic 8-ball is clouding up

Archived