Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Foster seems like a bad dude, but what harm is there to have his rights and make him earn the right to play? He'll either turn things around and you have a steal or he won't and you release him. It's the type of move that if New England makes people applaud. 

As for what Foster did (or allegedly did), yes it's despicable. But, unless you are going to only sign or draft or trade for choir boys I don't really see how it's any different than someone who was arrested for assault or drug charges or a DUI. I don't know why suddenly this specific type of violence is the only place the NFL and its fans have a moral compass. 

Really dude?  So to you beating a woman is just the same as smoking a joint?  You have serious issues if so.

And the idea that it doesnt matter about bringing in a serial abuser, who also frequently gets in fights(girlfriend, hospital worker) and gets suspended for drugs as well is going to have NO detrimental effects is laughable.  Hes going to be walking around the building, interacting with everyone else, and then when he gets suspended yet again for substance abuse, or gets arrested again for another altercation its going to be yet another drama filled distraction that have sunk the Redskins over the years.  Because God forbid we be known for actually playing decent football, rather than the circus around this team.

Spending time around a serial abuser is ALWAYS detrimental to those around them.

5 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I'm sorry man

OK, then I'm not talking about you. But there are PLENTY of people who are treating this violent act differently than others. And my primary point here is that seems hypocritical to me. As a fan, you should either completely divide the on-the-field stuff from the on-the-field stuff or you should be consistent in what you judge or don't accept (like you seem to be). 

I guess I'd love to ask many Redskins fans why they are a hard no on Foster but have no issues with Peterson here? Or Floyd with his DUI convictions? 

Well, I would say (and this is just a guess) that society looks much harder on physical abuse of women. And of course there are some good reasons for this, such as a huge difference of being able to defend oneself from an attack, ect. But most regular guys are not going to have much of a chance against a 270 pound elite athlete either. So I don't see a difference, but because it's another dude, I'm sure many people feel differently.

Substance abuse is another matter. I think it's more of a medical issue rather than not having enough self control. And the medical field agrees with that, so I don't agree that it's equal equivalency.

And I'm not the one that equated smoking pot to beating someone. Your message got lost as soon as you did that.

11 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Did this team attempt to do any research other than talking to his former Alabama teammates?

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/instagram-photo-reuben-foster-new-girlfriend-posted-after-hes-out-jail

The irony is (and I like Larry, clearly there is no way he could have anticipated this) Larry ran this as part of the can you believe segment on Redskins Nation a few days ago.  The incident coupled with the new girl friend photo.   I'd bet they'd want to bury that show now. 

9 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

AP was charged with child abuse, that the public is near split on whether it was actually child abuse or not.  Otherwise his resume is that of a hall of fame player, with no other blemishes on his long record. 

Foster has has numerous charges of domestic violence and documented problems just in the last few years.  He has no resume to fall back on in a short period of time.

Not even close to the same.

I think you're downplaying the AP stuff...the images are pretty bad for a spanking. This is a 4-year old child! 

peterson-child-abuse.png?w=351&h=703&q=7

Here's a summary:

The child suffered cuts and bruises to his ankles, buttocks, legs, scrotum, and hands. The injuries to his hands are the result of defensive wounds.

My point isn't that I love the signing or that I think domestic violence is OK, only that the world is selectively assigning outrage here. 

Hell, our beloved Sean Taylor got in trouble twice in about a year. Once for assault and once for driving drunk...

7 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Well, I would say (and this is just a guess) that society looks much harder on physical abuse of women. And of course there are some good reasons for this, such as a huge difference of being able to defend oneself from an attack, ect. But most regular guys are not going to have much of a chance against a 270 pound elite athlete either. So I don't see a difference, but because it's another dude, I'm sure many people feel differently.

Substance abuse is another matter. I think it's more of a medical issue rather than not having enough self control. And the medical field agrees with that, so I don't agree that it's equal equivalency.

And I'm not the one that equated smoking pot to beating someone. Your message got lost as soon as you did that.

I just think it's hypocritical to pick and choose which violent or endangering crimes we are going to clutch our pearls about. And, as to substance abuse, my example was meant to be more around endangering others on the road under the influence...not smoking pot while playing Fortnite or something. 

Just now, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Here's a summary:

My point isn't that I love the signing or that I think domestic violence is OK, only that the world is selectively assigning outrage here. 

I don’t like how AP chooses to discipline his children.  But like I said, otherwise never a peep of an infraction out of Peterson.  With a HOF resume.  Took his medicine and returned from suspension. Foster has no resume but talent, domestic violence allegations and poor decision making.  

Whether or not folks appropriately place their outrage is a different discussion.  But the two situations aren’t equal.  Nobody had any idea AP would lead the team to a good record when we signed him.  

1 minute ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I just think it's hypocritical to pick and choose which violent or endangering crimes we are going to clutch our pearls about. And, as to substance abuse, my example was meant to be more around endangering others on the road under the influence...not smoking pot while playing Fortnite or something. 

Well, once again, drug addition is a medical issue, not some "weakness", matter what the drug is. No one goes out to get drunk and drive around and kill someone. It's incredibly dangerous to mix the 2, but there is a difference between in how cognitive you are when you're ****ed up on some drug, or just pissed off.

17 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Really dude?  So to you beating a woman is just the same as smoking a joint?  You have serious issues if so.

And the idea that it doesnt matter about bringing in a serial abuser, who also frequently gets in fights(girlfriend, hospital worker) and gets suspended for drugs as well is going to have NO detrimental effects is laughable.  Hes going to be walking around the building, interacting with everyone else, and then when he gets suspended yet again for substance abuse, or gets arrested again for another altercation its going to be yet another drama filled distraction that have sunk the Redskins over the years.  Because God forbid we be known for actually playing decent football, rather than the circus around this team.

Spending time around a serial abuser is ALWAYS detrimental to those around them.

Can everyone stop telling me I have issues please? I'm trying to have somewhat of a reasonable discussion around where we draw the line and don't feel like I should have to defend myself like I'm endorsing domestic violence. 

I'm not even DEFENDING THE SIGNING OR HIS ACTIONS...I'm asking why this is too much but AP's transgressions or ST's assault or Floyd's DUI are OK. That's it. 

7 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I don’t like how AP chooses to discipline his children.  But like I said, otherwise never a peep of an infraction out of Peterson.  With a HOF resume.  Took his medicine and returned from suspension. Foster has no resume but talent, domestic violence allegations and poor decision making.  

Whether or not folks appropriately place their outrage is a different discussion.  But the two situations aren’t equal.  Nobody had any idea AP would lead the team to a good record when we signed him.  

So, feel free not to answer as I don't want to put anyone on the spot, but how do YOU feel about AP on the team given you don't like what he did to his son? 

To me, if you don't like what AP did and don't like what RF did, shouldn't we have the same standard? Both men beat another human whom they could physically overpower (one a child and one a woman). I don't understand how the HOF resume plays into this if it's a principle thing. 

8 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Well, once again, drug addition is a medical issue, not some "weakness", matter what the drug is. No one goes out to get drunk and drive around and kill someone. It's incredibly dangerous to mix the 2, but there is a difference between in how cognitive you are when you're ****ed up on some drug, or just pissed off.

I get that one isn't violent...but it's potentially much more damaging to drive drunk on a road than it is to take a couple swings at one person. And, it's not like the NFL doesn't offer free rides to every player to avoid this very situation. 

8 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I get that one isn't violent...but it's potentially much more damaging to drive drunk on a road than it is to take a couple swings at one person. And, it's not like the NFL doesn't offer free rides to every player to avoid this very situation. 

I believe I covered that part. I also covered the part that you're don't have a lot of cognitive thought processes if you're high as **** on something. And if you're an addict it's not simply as easy as "just stopping". It's much deeper than that, and for decades treatment was never a option. It barely is now.

The fact of the matter is that when you're sober and beat on someone, it's a conscious decision to do so. Getting into a car drunk is a highly impaired decision.

5 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

So, feel free not to answer as I don't want to put anyone on the spot, but how do YOU feel about AP on the team given you don't like what he did to his son? 

To me, if you don't like what AP did and don't like what RF did, shouldn't we have the same standard? Both men beat another human whom they could physically overpower (one a child and one a woman). I don't understand how the HOF resume plays into this if it's a principle thing. 

I don’t like what AP did to his son, but I’m aware that unfortunately that type of parenting gets passed down the line and it happens more than you think, particularly in the south.  I’m not condoning it and I’m glad his situation got put out there, perhaps it helped shed light on how it’s illegal and can easily go too far.

Foster is a bigger distraction than AP.  He literally just got out of jail again for his 2nd set of domestic abuse allegations.  My take on him is the juice isn’t worth the squeeze, where AP was.    AP has 1 issue in a long career that he paid the price for.  Foster has several when you include his other transgressions in a much shorter period of time.

Sounds like Jay didn’t want him. But he’s a good soldier and will roll with it. FWIW, he didn’t have anything to do with the Alex Smith trade either. That was all Bruce. It’s pretty clear Jay was fine with rolling with Colt for better or worse.

So earlier this season we had the cheerleader's pimping story, then we add a guy with what looks like a beating women habit. Sure that both stuff will go along well.

Mrs. Snyder, Allen & Gruden must be really happy right now.

I believe that will go into what @Skinsinparadise qualify as PR nightmare that this team has been under Bruce Allen. Guy really have no clue about making us relevant and classy.

7 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

S

I believe that will go into what @Skinsinparadise qualify as PR nightmare that this team has been under Bruce Allen. Guy really have no clue about making us relevant and classy.

Some forget that Vinny had defenders too.  I recall it because we had threads just like this and there were some people that had Vinny's back.  Years later, he's pretty much seen as a joke across the board.  I predict the same thing exactly is going to happen with Bruce.    I didn't think it was even possible when Vinny was fired that the next dude would be a punchline in similar fashion -- but alas here we are.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Some forget that Vinny had defenders too.  I recall it because we had threads just like this and there were some people that had Vinny's back.  Years later, he's pretty much seen as a joke across the board.  I predict the same thing exactly is going to happen with Bruce.    I didn't think it was even possible when Vinny was fired that the next dude would be a punchline in similar fashion -- but alas here we are.

Bruce was done in the NFL when the skins hired him. That got lost in the shuffle because everyone was so excited about Shanahan and because Vinny got kicked to the curb.

Snyder has yet to hire a true GM. 

3 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

What a bunch of cowards.  At least have the stones to take questions about Foster.

They have a tendency to want to make ****ty decisions but not stand up or speak/defend them. 

I'm no Gruden fan, but I think it's ridiculous that he (and Doug Williams especially) have to be the people trotted out to the press to defend Bruce and Danny's stupid decisions.

It's why this franchise will never succeed or be something we as fans can be proud of until Danny is no longer the owner.

4 minutes ago, Hooper said:

Bruce was done in the NFL when the skins hired him. That got lost in the shuffle because everyone was so excited about Shanahan and because Vinny got kicked to the curb.

Snyder has yet to hire a true GM. 

Why would he want to? He doesn't want anyone boxing him out of making personnel decisions.

26 minutes ago, Hooper said:

Sounds like Jay didn’t want him. But he’s a good soldier and will roll with it. FWIW, he didn’t have anything to do with the Alex Smith trade either. That was all Bruce. It’s pretty clear Jay was fine with rolling with Colt for better or worse.

Not sure either Bruce or Jay come out of that statement with much credibility to be honest.

2 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

They have a tendency to want to make ****ty decisions but not stand up or speak/defend them. 

I'm no Gruden fan, but I think it's ridiculous that he (and Doug Williams especially) have to be the people trotted out to the press to defend Bruce and Danny's stupid decisions.

It's why this franchise will never succeed or be something we as fans can be proud of until Danny is no longer the owner.

Why would he want to? He doesn't want anyone boxing him out of making personnel decisions.

At least Jerry Jones doesn’t pretend.

26 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Maybe I phrased myself wrongly, but it was more that this is another rock in the long list of things that Bruce made that makes us looks dumb.

As you've said earlier, even in this thread, at least Cerrato was a football guy, albeit not a good one. He was not really embarassing us with off the field stuff. While Bruce is.

Hopefully, as Englishmen say it: "Third time's a charm". Though with Snyder I would rather go with our french saying: "Never 2 without 3"...

So we should get ready for the Apocalypse to come if Dan fizzle on his 3rd football guy hiring...

Archived