Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

pcgamesn: Bethesda issue statement confirming Nazis are Bad, as Wolfenstein 2’s ad campaign draws flak

Destino

You’d think that this wouldn’t be a point of debate. Not only was there a fairly significant war fought over this point (the Nazis lost), but the Wolfenstein series has been running since 1981. You’d think that after 36+ years of stabbing, shooting and generally killing Nazis, someone might have picked up on the themes of this franchise. Apparently not.

Gearing up for the release of Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus at the end of this month, Bethesda have stepped up the marketing for the game, including a swathe of new trailers and clips on Youtube accompanied by the #NoMoreNazis hashtag, and featuring the slogans ‘Not My America’ and 'Make America Nazi-Free Again', referencing the setting of the game; an occupied America in an alternate history where the Nazis won WW2.

Contrary to all common sense, this has upset a subset of very angry individuals, some of whom seem to be proudly flying swastika flags on social media. They are keen to impress on Bethesda that it is impolite in this day and age to suggest that violence ever be considered a valid tactic to use against people with different political views, even if those views are centered around militarily enforced genocide and/or ethnic cleansing.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/wolfenstein-the-new-colossus/wolfenstein-the-new-colossus-nazis-bad-statement

World's gone mad.

26 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Bethesda is doing a brilliant job marketing this game, it looks really good. Sorry the Alt Right is so offended!! 

Serious. If they really wanted to make it good. They'd have the good guys covered with America flags and the bad guys with nothing but Nazi/Confederate flags. 

Oh man, this game brings back memories.  I played a ton of Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny in the early/mid 90's......no problem shooting Nazis and monsters...some problem shooting dogs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfenstein_(series)

BTW, if the networks would run some of the WW2 era looney tunes cartoons mocking the Germans, I would watch them.

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

Bethesda is doing a brilliant job marketing this game, it looks really good. Sorry the Alt Right is so offended!! 

They really are.  I only buy one game every six months or so, and I'll be picking this one up.  Plus, Bethesda games usually rock anyways. 

It's ridiculous that Bethesda even has to deal with this, but it scores a larger point about the need for standards of what we will tolerate and not tolerate. If you tolerate things that are inherently intolerant, out of some blind aim to be "one who practices complete (extreme) tolerance" then your tolerance has no meaning, no shape, or ability to differentiate itself. And if you stand for nothing, you'll fall for anything.

Everything has to have boundaries and standards, because those lines are what create context and allow for the opportunity to exercise the development of its integrity.

Even freedom has boundaries, that's why the more freedom you have, the more responsibility you have to maintain that freedom and deal with the consequences that come from exercising it... or else it's not freedom at all, but anomie (a breakdown of standards and values in a person or society).

5 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

It's ridiculous that Bethesda even has to deal with this, but it scores a larger point about the need for standards of what we will tolerate and not tolerate. If you tolerate things that are inherently intolerant, out of some blind aim to be "one who practices complete (extreme) tolerance" then your tolerance has no meaning, no shape, or ability to differentiate itself. And if you stand for nothing, you'll fall for anything.

Everything has to have boundaries and standards, because those lines are what create context and allow for the opportunity to exercise the development of its integrity.

Even freedom has boundaries, that's why the more freedom you have, the more responsibility you have to maintain that freedom and deal with the consequences that come from exercising it... or else it's not freedom at all, but anomie (a breakdown of standards and values in a person or society).

This is an excellent post, but I don't think Bethesda is a victim here.  I'm 99% sure they stoked this "controversy" on purpose to build up some hype around this game (and it's working).

Bethesda is owned by ZeniMax Media, which is run by Robert Altman, who is sharp as **** (and married to the original Wonder Woman). 

Everything else you posted I totally agree with.  

2 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

This is an excellent post, but I don't think Bethesda is a victim here.  I'm 99% sure they stoked this "controversy" on purpose to build up some hype around this game (and it's working).

Bethesda is owned by ZeniMax Media, which is run by Robert Altman, who is sharp as **** (and married to the original Wonder Woman). 

Ah cool, I didn't know that and yup, I agree. Either way it's good press for them.

51 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

You don’t make a slogan “Make America Nazi Free Again” and expect it NOT to stoke a few feathers.

The online gaming community was always destined to end up as the racist and sexist ****hole that it is today. 

You merge the anonymity of the internet, with the competitiveness of gaming, and you get the absolutely worst behavior you possibly can out of a lot of people.

The ****head 4chan meme culture is a plague on the gaming community.

Nazis. I hate these guys.

1 minute ago, No Excuses said:

The online gaming community was also destined to end up as the racist and sexist ****hole that it is today. 

You merge the anonymity of the internet, with the competitiveness of gaming, and you get the absolutely worst behavior you possibly can out of a lot of people.

What does one really expect from 14-22 yo males who largely live in rural and suburban areas?

1 hour ago, Fresh8686 said:

Great post. Going to copy and paste this to every jerk who likes playing the "you are being intolerant of my intolerance" card.

30 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

The online gaming community was also destined to end up as the racist and sexist ****hole that it is today. 

You merge the anonymity of the internet and sexually frustrated teen males with the competitiveness of gaming, and you get the absolutely worst behavior you possibly can out of a lot of people.

Light revisions, redlined. 

16 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Great post. Going to copy and paste this to every jerk who likes playing the "you are being intolerant of my intolerance" card.

Thanks, I thought this was cool and you might like it.

The paradox of tolerance, first described by Karl Popper in 1945, is a decision theory paradox. The paradox states that if a society is tolerant without limit, their ability to be tolerant will eventually be seized or destroyed by the intolerant. Popper came to the seemingly paradoxical conclusion that in order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance.

Back to the game, anyone watch the trailer?  I see a KKKlan member getting lit up too.  Can't wait.  If it's only as good as the last Wolfenstein I'll be thrilled.

5 hours ago, Springfield said:

You don’t make a slogan “Make America Nazi Free Again” and expect it NOT to stoke a few feathers.

Wolfenstein has only ever been about killing Nazis.  Sometimes zombie nazis.  The game is about killing nazis that have taken over America.  “Make America Nazi Free Again” is literally what the game is about.  

16 minutes ago, Destino said:

Back to the game, anyone watch the trailer?  I see a KKKlan member getting lit up too.  Can't wait.  If it's only as good as the last Wolfenstein I'll be thrilled.

Wolfenstein has only ever been about killing Nazis.  Sometimes zombie nazis.  The game is about killing nazis that have taken over America.  “Make America Nazi Free Again” is literally what the game is about.  

I get that.

Donald Trump’s campaign slogan was, as we all know, “Make America Great Again”.  Before that, nobody was about making anything, anything again.  Obviously it’s a dig on Trump.

9 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I get that.

Donald Trump’s campaign slogan was, as we all know, “Make America Great Again”.  Before that, nobody was about making anything, anything again.  Obviously it’s a dig on Trump.

That's a fair point.

Archived