Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Harvey Weinstein, Fired Amongst Sexual Harassment Allegations

Spaceman Spiff

Institutional patriarchy, where the men in charge do everything they can to protect men's supremacy. We see this in all strata of society, political, entertainment, sports, really any place. 

We have exposure but even the women in the Senate can't get a hardline rule through that chamber to protect people from predation from Senators and staffers. 

28 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Institutional patriarchy, where the men in charge do everything they can to protect men's supremacy. We see this in all strata of society, political, entertainment, sports, really any place. 

We have exposure but even the women in the Senate can't get a hardline rule through that chamber to protect people from predation from Senators and staffers. 

While bashing men and patriarchybis all fine and good, lets bear in mind that many times women institutional leaders are involved in these cover-ups too. This IMO has more to do with institutional protectionism than a penis problem. 

Women who are invested in keeping patriarchy alive and well are being used by patriarchy for short term power considerations and to keep other women in line. 

And I didn't say it was a penis problem, it's patriarchy, a system designed to keep males superior to females.

For example, female genital mutilation is enforced by women on girls, ostensibly to keep women from having sex with men other than her bubba because she will never experience sexual pleasure because her clitoris is cut off. It also causes problems with childbirth.  This practice benefits men but is enforced by women.

This is an extreme example. Here's another. I had a female supervisor once who supported male management against me for an expense that was prior approved by male management who got in trouble with his male management for wrongful approval. To save himself, he denied giving me approval and the female supervisor backed him up, throwing me under the bus. I had documentation, emails, plus numerous atta girls in my defense. I was put on written warning and the planned promotion cancelled. After six months of toeing the line, the male manager approved my promotion using the very same atta girls as documentation. My point is that the female supervisor could have stood up for me but looked out for herself to keep her own illusion of power.

There are examples every day of women wanting to keep her little corner of power protected by enforcing the male power dynamic.

think how many women who voted against Hillary because only men should be president. If that's not patriarchal brainwashing I don't know what is.

Plus since you're not a woman you don't experience patriarchy as females do.

Edited by LadySkinsFan

Tom Brokaw Accused of Sexual Harassment By Former NBC Anchor (EXCLUSIVE VIDEO)

Linda Vester had a reputation for covering tough stories. As a war correspondent for NBC News in the ’90s, she spent three tours of duty in the Middle East and took two assignments in Africa.

But as it turned out, her biggest battle at work wasn’t in the field. She says it was as a victim of sexual harassment by Tom Brokaw, the legendary newsman who manned the anchor desk for “NBC Nightly News” for 22 years and hosted “Today” and “Meet the Press.”

In a series of interviews with Variety conducted over several months, Vester alleged that Brokaw physically tried to force her to kiss him on two separate occasions, groped her in a NBC conference room and showed up at her hotel room uninvited. Two friends who Vester told at the time corroborated her story with Variety, and she shared her journal entries from the time period. Brokaw, who has been married to Meredith Auld since 1962, has never before been publicly accused of sexual harassment.

In a statement from him supplied by a NBC News spokesman, Brokaw said of the allegations, “I met with Linda Vester on two occasions, both at her request, 23 years ago because she wanted advice with respect to her career at NBC.  The meetings were brief, cordial and appropriate, and despite Linda’s allegations, I made no romantic overtures towards her at that time or any other.”

Vester, who was 28 at the time of the alleged incident, says she didn’t report Brokaw’s conduct to the police or NBC human resources because she was scared it would end her career. She left NBC in 1999 and went on to anchor her own show on Fox News through 2006.

Click on the link for the full article and video

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/04/16/the-silence-the-legacy-of-childhood-trauma?mbid=social_facebook_aud_dev_kw_paid-the-silence-the-legacy-of-childhood-trauma&kwp_0=765519&kwp_4=2673392&kwp_1=1134547

The Silence: The Legacy of Childhood Trauma

I never got any help, any kind of therapy. I never told anyone.

Last week I returned to Amherst. It’s been years since I was there, the time we met. I was hoping that you’d show up again; I even looked for you, but you didn’t appear. I remember you proudly repped N.Y.C. during the few minutes we spoke, so I suspect you’d moved back or maybe you were busy or you didn’t know I was in town. I have a distinct memory of you in the signing line, saying nothing to anyone, intense. I assumed you were going to ask me to read a manuscript or help you find an agent, but instead you asked me about the sexual abuse alluded to in my books. You asked, quietly, if it had happened to me.

You caught me completely by surprise.

I wish I had told you the truth then, but I was too scared in those days to say anything. Too scared, too committed to my mask. I responded with some evasive bull****. And that was it. I signed your books. You thought I was going to say something, and when I didn’t you looked disappointed. But more than that you looked abandoned. I could have said anything but instead I turned to the next person in line and smiled. Out of the corner of my eye I watched you pick up your backpack, slowly put away your books, and leave. When the signing was over I couldn’t get the **** away from Amherst, from you and your question, fast enough. I ran the way I’ve always run. Like death itself was chasing me. For a couple of days afterward I fretted; I worried that I’d given myself away. But then the old oblivion reflex took over. I pushed it all down. Buried it all. Like always.

But I never really did forget. Not our exchange or your disappointment. How you walked out of the auditorium with your shoulders hunched.

<more at link>

Reading this made me bawl like a little baby :(   

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2018 at 11:03 AM, Spaceman Spiff said:

At this point you start to question how many men in powerful positions have not let their status inflate their ego to the point where they felt they could force themselves on people they felt power over.

Freeman has always had a bit of a creepy vibe, like Kevin Spacey. 

Edited by Corcaigh
  • Like 2

I'm worried there won't be satisfying justice at the end of this: massive fine, lengthy, compounded jail sentence. 

He's got an estimated net worth at the low end of $240M, $1M bond is nothing—not that he's going to run from the law (literally or figuratively). 

24 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

I'm worried there won't be satisfying justice at the end of this: massive fine, lengthy, compounded jail sentence. 

He's got an estimated net worth at the low end of $240M, $1M bond is nothing—not that he's going to run from the law (literally or figuratively). 

Don't know about that. They charging him with rape. He's probably facing some real time.

4 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

Weinstein is already at the referred to prosecutors stage (although he had got away with it for so long). At this point he's got a 54% chance of being incarcerated. I think he serves time in the end. It's going to be another Cosby situation but Weinstein was never America's dad.

1 minute ago, Cooked Crack said:

Weinstein is already at the referred to prosecutors stage (although he had got away with it for so long). At this point he's got a 54% chance of being incarcerated. I think he serves time in the end. It's going to be another Cosby situation but Weinstein was never America's dad.

I'd give the edge to a rich white guy vs rich black guy (taken down a couple notches) in not doing time. 

1 hour ago, Cooked Crack said:

He was never America's dad but he did donate a lot to causes and stuff.  He was viewed as a philanthropist of sorts.  Cosby had a different platform being able to be in America's living room.

But if either one of them serve time, I wonder if it's going to be in federal pound me in the ass prison or white collar resort prison.  Either way, I hope both of them serve time.  

17 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

He was never America's dad but he did donate a lot to causes and stuff.  He was viewed as a philanthropist of sorts.  Cosby had a different platform being able to be in America's living room.

But if either one of them serve time, I wonder if it's going to be in federal pound me in the ass prison or white collar resort prison.  Either way, I hope both of them serve time.  

Not to highjack the thread, but nice "Office Space" reference!

• Like 1