Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

1 minute ago, Larry said:

Now, now.  

He just knows that, if he and the NRA allow Congress to pass a law (closing the "gun show loophole") that is supported by 80% of NRA members, then "these people" (who can't even manage to get a vote on a bump stock ban, after somebody uses one to kill 60 people) will be sending the confiscation troops after his cold, dead, hands, next.  

Your bitterness never ceases to amaze.  Even after all these years. 

• Haha 1

Nothing makes sense to me this kid grabs his rifle puts it in a soft case calls an Uber gets a ride to the school then gets inside gets his weapon out pulls the fire alarm starts mowing children down and teachers somehow manages to escape with everyone else grabs a soda and Big Mac before being caught in a neighborhood walking alone .....and not once in that hour or so did anyone notice anything wrong?

2 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Nothing makes sense to me this kid grabs his rifle puts it in a soft case calls an Uber gets a ride to the school then gets inside gets his weapon out pulls the fire alarm starts mowing children down and teachers somehow manages to escape with everyone else grabs a soda and Big Mac before being caught in a neighborhood walking alone .....and not once in that hour or so did anyone notice anything wrong?

Well he ditched the gun on campus, and the Parkland area is a VERY populated area. And it’s not like everyone knew who to look for. The fog of war and all that.

1 hour ago, Dan T. said:

Ef the 2nd Amendment.  It's time to rethink it.  And I don't give a good goddam what the NRA says or what the "cold, dead hands" wannabe Rambos think either.  It has been an anachronism for a hundred years or more.  

Me too. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Larry said:

They're being conservative.  Taking the constitution back to what it meant, for it's first 200 years.  

I disagree.  What they think it meant.  A portion of the populace in 2018 like to try and rewrite history to serve their own ends. 

25 years ago it was common to see teens in pickups with shotguns and rifles on racks in front of their rear mirror parked at the high school.  Nobody thought it was much of a problem then.  Nobody really questioned it either.  I know.  I was there.   

15 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

Slippery slope fallacy?  Did you and Dan T not just admit (to sum up) that you want to rethink and rewrite the 2nd amendment to be a privilege and not a right?  NRA and ‘Murica be damned?  

Nope, never said ‘Murica be damed. 

And the Constitution was written to be changed as needed. If the Founding Fathers wanted the Constitution sealed forever thrn they’d have never have written in a mechanism for it to be changed.

I have also said that I am a gun owner and wish to be a gun owner. But I’m also smart enough to realize that the 2nd Amendment was written for particular time and place, and that time has past. 

43 minutes ago, zskins said:

Guns will not go anywhere. Guns will still be bought by sane people before they come insane. There is no real human solution for this. The human mind is complex. One could be happy one day and have a total breakdown the next day. Having a gun next to them is always a dangerous out. Too bad these people just lash out on everyone else rather then just quietly going away without anyone noticing them. 

Its like guns only exist in America. 

The rest of the world has them as well - but nowhere else is having one viewed as a ‘right’ or symbol of ‘freedom’. Therefore people own far fewer of them - less guns seems to equal less killing with them.

There ARE solutions to this problem. Just not ones people seem to want to accept.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Nope, never said ‘Murica be damed. 

And the Constitution was written to be changed as needed. If the Founding Fathers wanted the Constitution sealed forever thrn they’d have never have written in a mechanism for it to be changed.

I have also said that I am a gun owner and wish to be a gun owner. But I’m also smart enough to realize that the 2nd Amendment was written for particular time and place, and that time has past. 

Yes, it was written to be changed. But it is VERY difficult to change for a reason. Cause of the week shouldn’t change the founding documents. 

But next time someone says posters in this board openly advocate for abolishing gun rights, all of you in here doing so should show up and correct all the posters saying no one is suggesting the 2nd Amendment be abolished. 

Instead of talking about shredding the Constitution, lets try to walk it back a bit. Abolishing an amendment should only be done to correct a massive wrong. 

EDIT: It really gets tiresome seeing intelligence being thrown around about an opinion. “I’m also smart enough to realize...” is only slightly less insulting than saying, “If you weren’t so stupid you would realize...” 

Edited by Popeman38

6 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

School massacres ... they're exactly what the Founding Fathers had in mind when they wrote the 2nd Amendment.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

=

It's my right as an American to own an AR as a toy.

Where is the ****ing strict constructionism among conservatives when it comes to the second amendment?

I'm for passing a national law that, if you want to own a gun, then you have to join a Colonial Militia and spend four hours every Sunday drilling.

I'm for passing a national law that, if you want to own a gun, then you have to join a Colonial Militia and spend four hours every Sunday drilling.

Of course you are. Because your opinion is that owning a gun shouldn’t be a right. And it’s a way you can advocate stripping a right without actually advocating to strip a right. 

Edited by Popeman38
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

Yes, it was written to be changed. But it is VERY difficult to change for a reason. Cause of the week shouldn’t change the founding documents. 

But next time someone says posters in this board openly advocate for abolishing gun rights, all of you in here doing so should show up and correct all the posters saying no one is suggesting the 2nd Amendment be abolished. 

Instead of talking about shredding the Constitution, lets try to walk it back a bit. Abolishing an amendment should only be done to correct a massive wrong. 

EDIT: It really gets tiresome seeing intelligence being thrown around about an opinion. “I’m also smart enough to realize...” is only slightly less insulting than saying, “If you weren’t so stupid you would realize...” 

“Cause of the week?” How about cause of the last 30 years+? Hell even Republican demigod Reagan fought for the Brady Bill...amazing how Republicans become gun control advocates AFTER they get shot.

I’m also not calling for the Abolishment of the 2nd Amendment...just admended. It’s name actually implies such.

As far as the calls for intellence, well we tried it your way, it didn’t work. An insistance that just a few more kids need to die in order for the “more guns makes us safer” philosophy to is insulting to say the least.

On 2/14/2018 at 8:37 PM, Kilmer17 said:

Carry on folks.  Remember the tears Obama shed after Sandy Hook and the impressive legislation he and the Dems enacted when they ruled the roost. 

You mean like how the Republics moved toward a balanced budget when they’ve had control, now and under W? I mean, aside from Obamacare, the debt is what they’ve been bleating about for 8 years straight prior to Dump.  

Regarding your prior question about fixing the problem, I’d go straight for the root cause, i.e. campaign finance reform. I’d limit all contributions to say a few hundred bucks from individuals only, including the candidate him/herself. I’d also ban all campaign ads other than those directly from the candidate. Getting special interest $$ out of elections would go a long way toward neutering the NRA and other special interests. As for the SCOTUS’ prior rulings on this issue, if this happened under a Dem administration, I’d pack the court or do whatever else is needed to git ‘ur dun. “But, but, that’s against the rules” you’d say. Well, your boys have crapped all over the rules and long established conventions so what’s good for the goose...

The GOP hasn’t had a problem with Ruskie help, financial and otherwise in getting into the WH. I wonder what they’d think about the issue if say China started giving similar help to the Dems. I guess it would all of a sudden be a grave threat to national security under those circumstances. ? We’ll either deal with the outsized political influence of money on the system or watch our alleged democracy get divied up between special interests and foreign governments.

@twa

Everytown explains on its website that it defines a school shooting as “any time a firearm discharges a live round inside a school building or on a school campus or grounds.”

But yes, by all means lets get outraged by the way they count so we can act like 17 people aren’t laying dead because of inaction and obstruction.

And lets pretend that 560 weren’t shot receny NOT IN SCHOOL.

This isn’t a SCHOOL problem, this is a gun problem.

Edited by AsburySkinsFan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

Of course you are. Because your opinion is that owning a gun shouldn’t be a right. And it’s a way you can advocate stripping a right without actually advocating to strip a right. 

I think it's very clear that the purpose of protecting the right to own and bear arms in the second amendment was to maintain militias.  If owning arms is still such a vital, relevant right, then what happened to compulsory militia service?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

“Cause of the week?” How about cause of the last 30 years+? Hell even Republican demigod Reagan fought for the Brady Bill...amazing how Republicans become gun control advocates AFTER they get shot.

I’m also not calling for the Abolishment of the 2nd Amendment...just admended. It’s name actually implies such.

As far as the calls for intellence, well we tried it your way, it didn’t work. An insistance that just a few more kids need to die in order for the “more guns makes us safer” philosophy to is insulting to say the least.

If you advocate for a right becoming a privilege, you are in fact calling for the 2nd to be abolished. We don’t have Amendments to the Constitution that grant privileges, only rights. You know that. 

Bolded: Have you read a single ****ing post I’ve written? “My way” involves implementing common sense regulation. Quit being obtuse and insulting. 

Edited by Popeman38

Just now, AsburySkinsFan said:

@twa

Everytown explains on its website that it defines a school shooting as “any time a firearm discharges a live round inside a school building or on a school campus or grounds.”

But yes, by all means lets get outraged by the way they count so we can act like 17 people aren’t laying dead because of inaction and obstruction.

And lets pretend that 560 weren’t shot receny NOT IN SCHOOL.

This isn’t a SCHOOL problem, this is a gun problem.

More a people problem and one of perception.

6 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think it's very clear that the purpose of protecting the right to own and bear arms in the second amendment was to maintain militias.  If owning arms is still such a vital, relevant right, then what happened to compulsory militia service?

That’s one way to interpret it. I can say that in order to have a militia, the people have the right to bear arms. Doesn’t make the militia portion a qualifier. In case you needed to stand up a militia, you needed people to own guns. If the militia is never called upon, the people still had the right to bear arms. 

16 minutes ago, twa said:

Remember that 18 school shootings in 2018?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/no-there-havent-been-18-school-shooting-in-2018-that-number-is-flat-wrong/2018/02/15/65b6cf72-1264-11e8-8ea1-c1d91fcec3fe_story.html?utm_term=.0790621398ec

Local
 Analysis

No, there haven’t been 18 school shootings in 2018. That number is flat wrong.

This article is moronic. 

Ok, so there weren't 18 shootings.  Everyone should sleep better knowing there were 8. 

1 minute ago, LD0506 said:

So, we're actively arguing for the CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT to slaughter random teenagers........the blood of children, torrents, RIVERS of blood carry no weight. There is simply no argument to be made to even TRY to slow it down.

Ok

Got it

You need to quote the post you are responding to. 

4 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

If you advocate for a right becoming a privilege, you are in fact calling for the 2nd to be abolished. We don’t have Amendments to the Constitution that grant privileges, only rights. You know that. 

Bolded: Have you read a single ****ing post I’ve written? “My way” involves implementing common sense regulation. Quit being obtuse and insulting. 

I’m fine with it remaining a right so long as the NRA stops forcing the narrative that it is absolute. And just a tinsy bit of honesty regarding the fact that the 2nd Amendment was written to maintain the citizen militia and that the necessity of a well regulated citizen militia has past with the establishment of a standing army.

Just now, AsburySkinsFan said:

Well like I’ve said many times before, you get busy changing hunan nature, we’ll work on restricting the means by which these atrocities take place.

The people are the means.....but feel free