Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's Talk about Pets

d0ublestr0ker0ll

In case you're unaware, beagles are a species used in pharmaceutical nonclinical research studies.

4,000 beagles will be rescued from a Virginia breeding facility

The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) will transfer 4,000 beagles from a research facility in Cumberland, Virginia, to humane societies across the United States where they can be adopted, under a plan approved by a federal judge last week. 

A series of inspections over the course of nine months found more than 70 animal welfare violations at the Envigo breeding facility. Mortality records reviewed by the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) showed over 300 puppy deaths from January 1, 2001, to July 22, 2021, that were attributed to unknown causes. The facility also did not take any additional steps to determine the cause in order to prevent similar deaths in the future.

A motion filed in June said federal agents had already seized 446 beagles. HSUS will transport the remaining beagles from the facility at its own expense over the next approximately 60-day period.

Following last week's ruling, Inotiv, Inc., Envigo's parent company, said in a statement it "will implement an orderly closure plan" of the Cumberland facility. 

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

There was just a huge raccoon eating Cameron's food on the back deck, and he was in the corner watching.  I got it to scram, didn't wanna get too close in case it was rabid, but it just looked fat.  I don't wanna close the gate at the top of the stairs because Cam would have to make some crazy jumps over the rails to get in...but it may be coming to that. 

• Like 1

It's been a long road and we got her a good half a year more than we thought, but tomorrow morning we're going to put our sweet Sadie to sleep. Gutted but we knew it was coming and we're grateful for the extra time.

photo (2).JPG

• Like 2
  • Sad 13

10 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

There was just a huge raccoon eating Cameron's food on the back deck, and he was in the corner watching.  I got it to scram, didn't wanna get too close in case it was rabid, but it just looked fat.  I don't wanna close the gate at the top of the stairs because Cam would have to make some crazy jumps over the rails to get in...but it may be coming to that. 

Pretty sure no gate is gonna stop a raccoon. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

On 7/15/2022 at 1:24 PM, JCB said:

It's been a long road and we got her a good half a year more than we thought, but tomorrow morning we're going to put our sweet Sadie to sleep. Gutted but we knew it was coming and we're grateful for the extra time.

photo (2).JPG

Sorry man. I just lost mine about a month ago.

Somebody once told me that every time you lose a dog, it breaks a little piece of your heart but the dog gives you a piece of their own heart so that our human hearts become more like the dog’s heart and that’s a good thing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

10 hours ago, BleedBNG said:

This reminds me of the time, many years ago, when my, then fiancé, and I had made a cake, and we’re letting it cool before icing it. We put it on top of the refrigerator before we went out to get some things, and grab a quick bite. At that time, I had a 12+ year old golden, and 2 year old lab/springer spaniel mix.

Came home after about an hour to find plate on the floor, and cake gone. 35 years later, and I still have no idea how those dogs managed that. 

• Haha 5

• 2 weeks later...