Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's Talk about Pets

d0ublestr0ker0ll

Anyone have experience with a dog who has EPI?  Long story short, our German Shepherd pup (10 months) had to have intestinal surgery where they removed a chunk of her large intestine at ~4 months old and has now started to experience gastro issues over the past couple weeks and reading the symptoms of EPI, it sounds like it's usually an afterthought for vets and common for GSs

Thanks for the good vibes, ES fam. Sadie is okay! Her older sister has a treatable kidney disease, though.

They’re both old and we know we don’t have many more years with them but we’re feeling mighty grateful. I plan to spoil them both shamelessly.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

It's amazing how much my dog likes playing with other dogs. I mentioned when I first got him, he has to be the most energetic dog in the world. I take him to the dog beach in Huntington, he could probably run around for 3 hours a day and still want to play when we get home. It's astonishing.

Guess I'll add a photo since that seems to be what this thread is about.

imagejpeg_0(8).jpg

Edited by abdcskins
  • Like 5

On 8/1/2021 at 7:59 AM, The Evil Genius said:

Sadly I had to say goodbye to Bogey yesterday. 

download-20161220-121125.jpg

He adopted us in December 2005 and I could never ask for a better friend.

Just discovering this thread, so sorry to read about Bogey. It's sucks, we've all been through it and know it's the deal when we sign up. Still so hard to go through, the pain we feel is the price for being so invested in our pets.

I lost Terra, the long coat shepherd in my avatar (along with Molly, a rescue we lost a few years earlier) on September 11 of last year.  She was the best dog I've ever had and I was surprised at how long it took to recover, Hell I'm still not over it. Fortunately we are getting another from the same breeder in a month, I can only hope she will be as good.

I've had dogs terrified of thunder and loud noises. I lost my 9 month at a farm party until the next morning after fireworks, she was found half a mile away at another farm.  That was terrifying for me.  Molly the rescue always told us it was about to storm as she started trembling 10 minutes before the first thunder.  She was so scared of loud noises, it was heart breaking.   I've heard you can fix this with firecrackers when the dog is very young.  I'm not so sure about that, I guess I can try but the firecrackers will be far away from the puppy. Still sounds cruel but may save her all this anxiety for the rest of her life. Thoughts?  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

32 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Just discovering this thread, so sorry to read about Bogey. It's sucks, we've all been through it and know it's the deal when we sign up. Still so hard to go through, the pain we feel is the price for being so invested in our pets.

I lost Terra, the long coat shepherd in my avatar (along with Molly, a rescue we lost a few years earlier) on September 11 of last year.  She was the best dog I've ever had and I was surprised at how long it took to recover, Hell I'm still not over it. Fortunately we are getting another from the same breeder in a month, I can only hope she will be as good.

I've had dogs terrified of thunder and loud noises. I lost my 9 month at a farm party until the next morning after fireworks, she was found half a mile away at another farm.  That was terrifying for me.  Molly the rescue always told us it was about to storm as she started trembling 10 minutes before the first thunder.  She was so scared of loud noises, it was heart breaking.   I've heard you can fix this with firecrackers when the dog is very young.  I'm not so sure about that, I guess I can try but the firecrackers will be far away from the puppy. Still sounds cruel but may save her all this anxiety for the rest of her life. Thoughts?  

Please don't set off firecrackers when the dog is a puppy! It will scar them for life. Your Molly, as a rescue, had a history you knew nothing about so you didn't know why she was so scared of loud noises. 

I choose to remain calm around loud noises with Dancer, treat it like normal. Dancer doesn't budge when we have thunderstorms unless there's a very loud crack of thunder then she might get up and look around. Even vacuuming, she just walks around or stays on the couch. The trick is to remain calm and comfort them when they are puppies so they learn that it's okay. Plus there are "thundershirts" for animals who still get upset at times. 

Much happiness with your new puppy! Dancer will be 10 in January and the vet recently said she's in great shape. (Heartworm test for drugs).

• Like 1