Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's Talk about Pets

d0ublestr0ker0ll

44 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I've heard you can fix this with firecrackers when the dog is very young.  I'm not so sure about that, I guess I can try but the firecrackers will be far away from the puppy. Still sounds cruel but may save her all this anxiety for the rest of her life. Thoughts?  

Who or where did you hear this from?

I can see the idea of introducing the noises early working, but also see it helping to permanantly instill fear in a dog.  One loud POW that rattles the brain and soul at however many weeks?  Perhaps that's what creates the fear?  Perhaps, hypothetically, young pups get startled by a person closing their pickup truck gate strongly...hence they hate thunder?

I can see it going both ways, but have no formal insight on it.

My personal experience of having 7 dogs in my life...3 who HATE(D) fireworks, thunder, and even rain (because they associate it with thunder)...they just get thru it and are normal afterwards.  It's like a hangover.  ughhhhhhhhhh for a day...then back to surfing monster waves off the Hawaiian coast.

My maltese didn't start being fearful of fireworks, thunder and rain until he was around 4 years old.  My theories are that he learned from his older brother who hates those noises, or he was actually struck by lightning once, which would explain his energy level.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

45 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Please don't set off firecrackers when the dog is a puppy! It will scar them for life. Your Molly, as a rescue, had a history you knew nothing about so you didn't know why she was so scared of loud noises. 

I choose to remain calm around loud noises with Dancer, treat it like normal. Dancer doesn't budge when we have thunderstorms unless there's a very loud crack of thunder then she might get up and look around. Even vacuuming, she just walks around or stays on the couch. The trick is to remain calm and comfort them when they are puppies so they learn that it's okay. Plus there are "thundershirts" for animals who still get upset at times. 

Much happiness with your new puppy! Dancer will be 10 in January and the vet recently said she's in great shape. (Heartworm test for drugs).

Thanks. I'm still undecided about the firecrackers, need to do more research. There has to be a way, I highly doubt every retriever is born without a noise fear yet there they are just yards away from duck hunters as they blast shotguns.

As for the dogs it's just a crap shoot, Jessie was the shepherd who ran away from fireworks and she came as a puppy with no baggage. Terra the long coat didn't blink at loud noises.  One time I was taking Jessie and Molly out to our field and they were trotting single file.  A gun shot came from the woods, that happens in the country, and they immediately made a U turn, never breaking formation, and trotted towards the house. It was funny as Hell.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 1

I guess they train sporting dogs to gun blasts. Some dogs don't make it. My grandfather was a sportsman in Lycoming County in Pennsylvania and always had English Setters that he all named Sport so they all came when called. He was a taxidermist too. People really into shooting sports will send their dogs off to be specially trained. 

Dancer seems to respond to my demeanor, so if I'm calm and don't react, she won't either. My Dalmatian Mimi hated the vacuum cleaner, tried to bite it every time it came out of the closet. It doesn't faze Dancer at all. Sometimes she follows me around and other times stays where she is. But I think she follows me around anyway.

Best of luck with your new family member!

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I guess they train sporting dogs to gun blasts. Some dogs don't make it. My grandfather was a sportsman in Lycoming County in Pennsylvania and always had English Setters that he all named Sport so they all came when called. He was a taxidermist too. People really into shooting sports will send their dogs off to be specially trained. 

Dancer seems to respond to my demeanor, so if I'm calm and don't react, she won't either. My Dalmatian Mimi hated the vacuum cleaner, tried to bite it every time it came out of the closet. It doesn't faze Dancer at all. Sometimes she follows me around and other times stays where she is. But I think she follows me around anyway.

Best of luck with your new family member!

That's what I'm saying, hunting dogs are trained to ignore the shotgun and I have to believe the only way is with exposure. So it can be done, I just have to learn more about it.  

• Like 1

I am going to post this here simply because I have had good luck finding homes for two dogs previously with 2 dogs who needed homes.  The differences were the previous dogs were our dogs who needed new homes because our house did not work well for them.  Now my wife and I foster animals (cats and a dog) for Anne Arundel county.  We have had Ghost for about 4 months now (longest time period of any dog in Anne Arundel county foster care).

I know dogs in particular are stuck in shelters in record numbers right now.  With the COVID lock down, many people adopted dogs who now don't want/need them anymore as things open back up.  We have been told that is likely why Ghost hasn't been picked up yet by a rescue group or a forever home.  He is a roughly 1.5 year old shepherd mix who is smart and eager to please.  He is learning more and more which helps with his anxiety.  He walks and runs on his leash without a problem.  He plays extremely well with other dogs and has been great playing with our kids.  

https://www.facebook.com/jill.erickson.73/posts/10161233559590884

If you are interested or know somebody else who is looking for a good dog, please reach out to me.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, gbear said:

I am going to post this here simply because I have had good luck finding homes for two dogs previously with 2 dogs who needed homes.  The differences were the previous dogs were our dogs who needed new homes because our house did not work well for them.  Now my wife and I foster animals (cats and a dog) for Anne Arundel county.  We have had Ghost for about 4 months now (longest time period of any dog in Anne Arundel county foster care).

I know dogs in particular are stuck in shelters in record numbers right now.  With the COVID lock down, many people adopted dogs who now don't want/need them anymore as things open back up.  We have been told that is likely why Ghost hasn't been picked up yet by a rescue group or a forever home.  He is a roughly 1.5 year old shepherd mix who is smart and eager to please.  He is learning more and more which helps with his anxiety.  He walks and runs on his leash without a problem.  He plays extremely well with other dogs and has been great playing with our kids.  

https://www.facebook.com/jill.erickson.73/posts/10161233559590884

If you are interested or know somebody else who is looking for a good dog, please reach out to me.

I checked your link and it says it's broken or page not there.

I guess my wife has proper facebook privacy settings.  Here is a screen shot of the post:

ghost facebook.pdf

As I said before, feel free to share with anyone who might want a dog.  Ghost is a good dog who deserves a forever family. Added bonus, all adoptions are free right now in large part due to overcrowding. I can also share video of him playing with other dogs if it will help anyone decide he should be their dog.

Edited by gbear
  • Like 4

Playing with the puppies... Layla and our foster puppies...I wish imgur video files could be embedded here.

https://imgur.com/gallery/K2bzEqh

I think we are keeping Buck - he has some joint issues that hopefully resolve as he grows, but we don't want to risk giving him to someone else. We got his DNA test results, and he is a mix of 12 breeds, including Chihuahua, Australian Shepherd and American Bulldog.

bTBxKic.jpeg

Edited by Riggo-toni
  • Like 7

Add:  If an employee pulls up and needs to get inside, a random vehicle parked there will at least delay them - if not make them abandon the idea altogether.  Then the cops will be called.  I guarantee you if it wasn't me last night, dude would've had the police called on him.

This is private property.  You are either employed here, are going to do business or you are trespassing.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, my name is Meatloaf, and I would do anything for love (but I wont do that).

This is our newest foster dog looking for a home. He is rediculously loving towards kids, and friendly towards all adults. He really just wants love. I can't stop laughing when I look at his goofy face and/or his prancing walk. He isn't the brightest bulb as he keeps barking at his reflection in any glass or mirror, but it is part of his charm.

What I hate is looking at why this neglected dog was probably left uncastrated. I think my wife is correct and he is a pocket pittie. That he is 60 lb and needs weight to,me indicates breeding gone wrong. I looked them up, and pocket pitties go for between $5-10k. He has all the temperament of the breed. He just looks to have been terribly neglected. We take him back in less than two weeks to have him fixed. At least whoever takes him next,it wont be to breed him.

0924212004a.jpg

Edited by gbear
  • Like 6