Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's Talk about Pets

d0ublestr0ker0ll

So I am shook a bit..   i walked my dogs about an hour ago.. beagle mix and a mutt.. neither are small dogs, and neither are big dogs.
A neighbor has two rotts and a pit. (one rott is a puppy) They were outside, no fence.
well, they saw us and charged.
My beagle Taco is a defender. Astro, not so much. 
Anyway, i think the rots wanted to play, they were on us but not really aggressive, The pit was. I had both of my dogs yanked up off the ground by their leashes and am spinning trying to keep them from being attacks. The beagle is going nuts trying to fight, i'm just trying to keep them up and away from being tackled by the pit.
Anyway, long story short, the neighbor came out and got control of her dogs, we beat a hasty retreat.
Astro (not the beagle)..  he goes down on his belly, dragging his back legs like he's hurt. I picked him up and we got away..  his heart is beating VERY hard.
we get in, no obvious signs of any bites, but he is still walking a little slow. No limp, nothing unusual..  but the fact he was on his belly and dragging the back legs right after the incident has me worried.
i have never known a dog to behave this way unless injured. 
Does anyone know anything about hat may have happened? Do dogs have panics, can fear temporarily paralyze them? I did have them suspended by their collars while i tried to get them up and get the other dogs away. But i don't see anything that indicates i may have choked him or damaged him.
Is there anything I should look for?
I love all my dogs, but Astro is my favorite one i've ever had. I'd be sick if anything happened to him. 

I appreciate any info.

~Bang

• Sad 4

Astro... when he was back up walking did he put weight on his paws or did they knuckle under kinda like walking on the back of a fist?

If not, probably ok. If so, check to see if he has feeling in his paws. If you can't ascertain if his paws have feeling get him checked out.

Did he move while dragging back leg? Where the legs in front or back while moving? (Was is a but skooching across floor or legs dragging?) It may be a marking response to the challenge). 

Watch him and see if symptoms persist. If they do, get him checked out. High stress can illuminate underlying problems tha might not yet be apparent.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Aristarchus said:

Astro... when he was back up walking did he put weight on his paws or did they knuckle under kinda like walking on the back of a fist?

If not, probably ok. If so, check to see if he has feeling in his paws. If you can't ascertain if his paws have feeling get him checked out.

Did he move while dragging back leg? Where the legs in front or back while moving? (Was is a but skooching across floor or legs dragging?) It may be a marking response to the challenge). 

Watch him and see if symptoms persist. If they do, get him checked out. High stress can illuminate underlying problems tha might not yet be apparent.

Thank you.
He didn't knuckle under his paws. It was not a butt skooch, he was on his belly.. he didn't seem to be trying to move, but then again, i didn't wait too long to check. I scooped him up and football carried him. That's how i noticed how hard his heart was beating. 

Since then he seems fine.. he's a rather mellow fellow as it is, not a whole lot of fast action, especially during the day.. he lays around mostly. 
When we got back to my yard i put him down and he walked ok, but his tail was down. Not tucked, just flat. Usually when he's outside he will hold it high. Walking, no trotting.
When we got back into the house i checked him over.. i don't feel anything that might be dislocated, he hasn't shown any outward signs of anything.. eyes are clear, and he's attentive.

I offered him a chew to see how he'd react, and he walked over for it rather than the usual jumping around. He has used his back legs since then for normal stuff.. scratching his ears,, he "ploots".. lays flat with his legs out behind him, and he did that too.. i would think if he had a physical problem he'd either not have or he'd have shown some sign of discomfort.
Now as i look around he is on the sofa in his usual spot, so he jumped up. 
I'm relaxing now,, thinking maybe he just had a bit of a fright. I've just never seen it manifest like that.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Both are so cute, sorry they went through that trauma. Glad Astro is feeling better. 🙏

Shoot, no trauma for Taco.. i think that dog would try to fight anything that came his way.

~Bang

• Haha 1

Might want to consider getting harnesses for both with a handle that you can grab and hoist easily. I have Dancer on one of those. The apartment complex supposedly bans dogs over 25 lbs. There are pitties here, some off leash, so I keep a firm hold of Dancer just in case. 

Hope both your doggie guys recover from their scare.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, abdcskins said:

Your neighbor is to blame, should never have her dogs off a leash in her front yard, particularly a pit bull. You may want to look into suing her for damages. Very sorry that happened to you.

Sorry but this part is wrong.  Breeds get blamed when it is really the dogs upbringing.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Sorry but this part is wrong.  Breeds get blamed when it is really the dogs upbringing.  

I agree with you. The reality is though that pit bulls are large dogs that can inflict a lot of damage. There is more of a risk in having it off a leash than say a pomeranian. 

She shouldn't have had her rottweiler off a leash either, particularly in the front yard.

Edited by abdcskins

3 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

I agree with you. The reality is though that pit bulls are large dogs that can inflict a lot of damage. There is more of a risk in having it off a leash than say a pomeranian. 

She shouldn't have had her rottweiler off a leash either, particularly in the front yard.

Then you should have just said "large dog".

34 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Fine. A large dog.

No dog should be in the front yard off a leash unless it is extremely well trained and can listen to an owner's commands to a tee.

Totally agree with you.  Sorry I just get touchy about people talking bad about a specific breed.  Comes from working in rescue I guess.

• Like 1

Bang,....

Looks more likely Astro was just a bit overwhelmed by the experience if he is back to normal self now. 

I've worked in the past in a vet clinic (vet tech trainee, kennel manager, and lab technician) and saw a lot. All my pets are rescues except my Corgi.

On the dog breed temperment scale Pit Bulls are like many other dogs with many personalities much of which has to do with environment, owners, and socialization. However, they are a very strong dog breed and should be respected as such. An unattended free pit in a front yard is not the best management of said dog. Don't get me wrong I love pitties as they make really loyal bonds with people but they can also be protective to a fault sometimes. This goes for Chow Chows as well by the way as they are also strong dogs that need to be respected as such.

I've recently had my eye on a potential Pitty rescue at my local shelter but can't quite convince the wife. 

Guess I'll just continue to train and socialize my kids as they are in their insane teen years now.

Dr. Joe

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bang said:

Thanks so much Dr. Joe. I sincerely appreciate it. 
He seems fine now.

~Bang

Bang!!..I just read what ya went through with your dogs!!...I'm so sorry to hear about astro..that sucks 😢..my wife said possible stroke or heart attack from the leash tight around his neck unfortunately and scared..she recommends blood tests...I'm sure you've heard enough but I had to put my two cents in!!..so glad to hear astro is coming around!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aristarchus said:

On the dog breed temperment scale Pit Bulls are like many other dogs with many personalities much of which has to do with environment, owners, and socialization. However, they are a very strong dog breed and should be respected as such. An unattended free pit in a front yard is not the best management of said dog. Don't get me wrong I love pitties as they make really loyal bonds with people but they can also be protective to a fault sometimes. This goes for Chow Chows as well by the way as they are also strong dogs that need to be respected as such.

I appreciate ya pointing this out..I have a....mut?..I got her off of craigslist..for free...I think she was about to pass from not receiving the correct shots at the proper times..the people I received her from were Hispanic and didnt speak much English so there wasn't much said.. I asked what kind of breed .. and the lady I was speaking with that spoke a little English explained that she was part Pitbull and you can definitely see it in her they also said part Corgi...than the vet said something different..but she's definitely part pit and I see these traits in her and it's been very interesting getting to know her personality..gives me a whole new perspective on pit pulls...I absolutely love mine..I hated them before and damned them to hell..just being honest..but I love them now..I love my ginger!! Lol

Edited by bakedtater1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Totally agree with you.  Sorry I just get touchy about people talking bad about a specific breed.  Comes from working in rescue I guess.

I Iove me a Pit, but I love me a Navy SEAL.  If one goes rogue, that's your worst case scenario.  Their heads are built like tanks, the bodies are compact and muscular like an Olympic wrestler. I'd rather fight a 150+  pound Saint Bernard, Irish Wolfhound, or Mastiff - than a 50 pound Pit.

I'd rather fight G Sheps and Dobies that are heavier than Pits.

Again, Pits are easy to make goofy, funny, sweet.  Great dogs.

Easily the most capable of doing damage.

@Bang same s*** happened to me last winter. I was walking my Maltese, and a Pitbull busted through a chain link fence. I had to reel my dog up like he was being hung.  Afterwards, he was kind of in a shocked state.  Could be blood flow to the head being cut off during a down breath, could just be traumatizing and something the dog has to process.  Luckily, dogs recover from most mental trauma very quickly.  They are extremely good forgivers and forgetters.

That said, wouldn't hurt to get an exam.  Your judgment call.

F***ing idiot owners, man.  They're infuriating.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll
  • Like 1

An update

Astro seems fine..  went for his walk this morning. (My neighbor drives school buses.. she's not home in the mornings, so this will be our time now.)
He is bright eyed, tail up, trotting and curious. 

All is well!
Thanks for the advice and concern everyone!

~Bang

• Like 6

Btw that is step pops chair. He doesnt let anyone else sit in it but magically whenever thanos is sleep in it pops wants to stretch his back and lay on the floor. Which, I cant tell if its his excuse to let thanos stay in it, or his excuses to get thanos to come and lay on him cause thats exactly what happens. 

And he doesnt want a dog. Worst kept secret in the house is that he loves this dog. We can hear him talking to him from the basement when we are upstairs lol. 

• Like 4