Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's Talk about Pets

d0ublestr0ker0ll

On 4/14/2020 at 1:34 AM, kfrankie said:

So got a new puppy in late February.  It a Springer spaniel poodle mix. Supposed to be 50 lbs when full grown.  Do has been great 95% of the time, very sweet and almost too docile do or a puppy.

In in the past 3 weeks she has become more confident and, in my view, a bit agressive especially with my elementary school age kids.  She basically goes through these spurts where she gets really nippy and growls like she's angry, and it's difficult to get her to stop right away.  Not a huge practical problem now because she's still so small.  But moving forward, as she gets bigger I hope this doesn't continue.   I've heard about "Springer rage" and I'm starting to wonder if there's something like that going on.  Any thoughts?

I typically don't have time to train dogs properly, even my own. So I go the Hardline route.  For example when my dogs were puppies they would all want to chew on wires.  That was a stout NO, while holding the wire and pointing to it, even tapping it with my finger. It established me being leader of the pack and the only enforcer.  Repeat yourself, stand firm, no leniency.  Some dogs like to defy leadership, wanting to become the leader of the pack themselves.  Nope.  YOU are.  Period!

The kids shouldn't do much avoiding of the dog, as it will give the dog a sense of dominance over them, but they should also respect it with love and not being so rambunctious around it.  Chaos can be a trigger.  Teach the dog, but the kiddos too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

I just had to say goodbye to RG. 😿 

May my little muffin rest in peace. 

I am so sorry for your loss. It is hard to lose a friend like that. And they are truly friends. Only difference is they never disappoint you. 

I lost Zoe, who I had for 13 yrs, just before I moved here - about 3 yrs ago. There is still not a single day that goes by without me thinking about her. The good news is the longer it goes the more good I remember. I so want to get another cat but I am afraid it will just not be anything like Zoe and I will just miss Zoe more. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

$195.00 ?

So we had to put a cone on earl from him scratching at his ear..the cone belonged to Ralph once..now ralph is absolutely pissed earl is wearing it...ralph is intimidating earl wanting to fight him...why is Ralph acting like this?..its weird..my wife said that she thinks ralph sees earl as wounded and wants to take earl out...Ralph dosent like earl...he tolerates him but that's it..lol it's funny... ralph is the o.g(our first dog)..than ginger than earl...ginger knows Ralph is king..she is fine with that but earl is on there hit list..if Earl shows ralph attitude ginger attacks him..vise versa..earl gives ginger attitude Ralph attacks earl.

• Like 2

A follow-up to the above pic:

My daughter was outside and comes excitedly in saying Zeke (our other cat, not the one pictured above) had just caught something.  As she came in, so did Zeke, with the animal (another chipmunk, possibly the mate of the poor fellow above) in his mouth.  This time however, the chipmunk was still alive and Zeke of course let it go so he could have some fun and chase it some more.  Dear god, I didn't want a live chipmunk running around our house.  The chipmunk ran into our kitchen and got too close to me, whereupon I stepped on its head, holding it in place until I could get it in a container.  Although it was initially wiggling, by the time I got the container over it, it was dead, as evidenced by an amount of blood leaking from its mouth.  At least I don't have a live chipmunk running around our house.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone ever had their dog have a negative reaction to vaccinations and/or medicine?  My 7 year old dog Cinnamon got some annual vaccinations on 6/5.  Like 3 shots, rabies and some other stuff.  Then I gave her a chew of Bravecto (anti flea and tick medicine) on 6/7.  You are supposed to give it after a meal to prevent an upset stomach, and I gave it to her after she ate like half a bowl of dog food.  She has never had a bad reaction before, I've given it to her like 3-4 times previously.  I am worried I damaged her liver or something.  She hasn't touched her dog food in a few days, she only eats the dried lamb hearts I give her.

Ever since then she has been super lethargic, nowhere near the same dog.  When I give her treats she doesn't get excited, she usually jumps for joy.  She just lays around all day showing no energy or spirit.  I took her for a car ride today, which is her favorite thing in the world, and she got a little excited, but she usually goes bonkers.  I can just tell something is wrong.  I thought she may have had a fever the other day, I don't have a thermometer, but my roommate said she saw her shivering early in the morning.  I felt her ears and they were slightly warm, but I couldn't tell any significant difference.  I've got a vet exam scheduled for Friday.  I am not one of those anti-vaccination people, but I am wondering if the shots did something to her.  If not then the Bravecto.

• Sad 1

On 5/30/2020 at 10:32 PM, clietas said:

Seen this cat around my townhouse for the past year. Been feeding it for the last six months since I saw it creep outta my firewood pile on my security camera. I sooooo want. Its a cute lil black witches kiki. 😍

20200530_221821.jpg

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, abdcskins said:

Has anyone ever had their dog have a negative reaction to vaccinations and/or medicine?  My 7 year old dog Cinnamon got some annual vaccinations on 6/5.  If not then the Bravecto.

Is she drinking water? If not, you have a kidney issue. 

I read this a couple hours ago, and have tried to recall if I ever encountered this while working at the doggy day care, (specific to meds etc.) and I don't think I did. 

Keep an eye on her water. 

13 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Is she drinking water? If not, you have a kidney issue. 

I read this a couple hours ago, and have tried to recall if I ever encountered this while working at the doggy day care, (specific to meds etc.) and I don't think I did. 

Keep an eye on her water. 

Thank you.  She is drinking water.  She is not eating her food whatsoever, although she eats the treats I give her.  Mainly, it is her behavior that has changed dramatically, which I have read is an indication something is wrong.  She has been shivering a bit tonight, my gut feeling thinks it is a fever/infection of some sort.  I am going to take her to the vet today for a checkup.  There is a possibility that I am just overreacting and she is just tired or something, but she never acts like this.  I pulled out her harness and leash to go for a walk and she barely reacted.  Completely not like her.