Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Marvel's Punisher Netflix -- November 17

Riggo#44

12 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

Punisher will need a strong performance from the main villain to be great. Even in the comics, the best punisher runs were moreso because of who he was playing against

Absolutely, the quickest way to kill this series is to make it into a comic book, strong plotlines w/ deserving villains well cast! Can't stress that enough, casting is a key element and the wrong hire can utterly kill a scene.

7 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

I guess I need to go watch the DD series now to get all the intro.

That, and the Daredevil series is fantastic. And Deborah Ann Woll is in that too.

15 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

Absolutely, the quickest way to kill this series is to make it into a comic book, strong plotlines w/ deserving villains well cast! Can't stress that enough, casting is a key element and the wrong hire can utterly kill a scene.

What do you mean?

maxresdefault.jpg

Daredevil season one was truly great television.  All the rest have been underwhelming and filled with silliness, frustrating repetitiveness due to budget constraints, and plot holes.  They've been riding on the wave of goodwill that the surprising excellence of Daredevil season one created.  The quality of that series is due largely to Steven DeKnight's and Drew Goddard's talent and Vincent D'Onofrio's brilliance.

I think Luke Cage was the second best season Netflix has produced because it  had such a good stylistic voice.  It captured the spirit of his comics so well without falling into camp.  It was genuinely cool and I think Cheo Hodari Coker is a talented writer and showrunner.  It did run out of steam towards the end though, and made the mistake of revealing the Big Bad too early and made him too underpowered and too straightforward.

I have high hopes for Punisher though.  Jon Bernthal is the most talented lead actor in the Netflix Marvel canon and he can carry a show.  They've got a real showrunner too.  This kind of show is Netflix's wheelhouse.  I think this season can be the best Heroes for Hire show yet.

7 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

Punisher will need a strong performance from the main villain to be great. Even in the comics, the best punisher runs were moreso because of who he was playing against

He's got a moral philosophy/raison d'etre that's not as complicated or interesting as it seems over the course of a long story arc.  To me he's always been a C-List Marvel Hero with the popularity and name recognition of a B-Lister or fringe A-Lister.

12 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I'm kinda excited to check this out.

But, I'm really sick of the using hit songs in trailers epidemic.  It's really tired and feels like something a first year film student would do in his spare time.  What the **** does Metallica have to do with The Punisher?

"Now the World is gone, I'm just one" fits pretty well.

23 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

<sigh>

Ok, I finished sitting through two seasons of DD to see the prequel **** for Punisher, and I gotta say, I am seriously sick of DD's choirboy moralizing. OMG don't bring me back from the dead Nobu, I can't take any more!

That's why I loved the dynamic between DD and Punisher--they were perfect foils for each other. The writing and casting for these two roles has been just about impeccable. I thought they played off each other very well.

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

That's why I loved the dynamic between DD and Punisher--they were perfect foils for each other. The writing and casting for these two roles has been just about impeccable. I thought they played off each other very well.

I know, I get that, who wouldn't considering how blatant they made it? But dayum son, just dayum, an army of ninjas that come back from the dead and you're worrying about killing them? Stick had it right, cut the ****ing head off, come back from THAT mother****er!

Still a nice run up to Punisher though, not complaining...... well, not too much anyway

Kinda interesting, I am not a huge Netflix junkie and I really haven't followed any of their homegrown series, this was better than I expected.

• 1 month later...

Ok gang, who else is watching Punisher?

I was looking forward to this, I like a good asskicking no questions asked kinda cartoon for guys, was wondering how they were going to do this from his appearance in DD.

I am.............hmmmm, I'm not sure tbh. It is not at all what I expected, it is way more psychodrama than Rambo, they are doing a very deep job on the anguish here, this guy is utterly haunted and his friends? They are too, just as much or more whether they know it.

Personally, I can't say that I like it, it is painful almost but I can respect the honesty in that.

I'm not the kinda guy that gets invested in this kinda ****, it's a ****ing Netflix show fer crissakes, but right now, it's like a splinter in my flesh.

I watched it, and I liked it, but I don't think the Punisher they depicted was effective enough at what he does to qualify as a hero.  His most impressive ability in the show is surviving all the damage he takes and getting authorities to let him go.  I was hoping for Punisher to be more of a relentless angel of death type character, and what I got was certainly more believable and human.

29 minutes ago, Destino said:

I watched it, and I liked it, but I don't think the Punisher they depicted was effective enough at what he does to qualify as a hero.  His most impressive ability in the show is surviving all the damage he takes and getting authorities to let him go.  I was hoping for Punisher to be more of a relentless angel of death type character, and what I got was certainly more believable and human.

Is that somehow a bad thing?

I understand what you're saying, I was looking for it to be a.....well, a cartoon, no issues, no nuance, blood-n-guts and fun for the whole fambly but it is something very different and IMO, much better.

I don't consider him a hero, but I get where he's coming from, he's a survivor, he survives whether he actually wants to or not.

Watched the whole thing, I liked it.  I thought it was pretty gritty.  Definitely got his ass beat and came back for more.  Didn't really care for the Micro character, really thought he was more of a fat slobby likable type.  The chemistry between Punisher and Micro was pretty good at times, though.

Didn't think the villain was bad enough.  But I thought Bernthal was great.  I like how they worked "Welcome back, Frank" a few times into the dialogue.  Heard a mention in the first or second episode of a Gnucci gangster, maybe they'll have Ma Gnucci in the next season.

I was never huge into comic books or comic book characters but I always liked the Punisher most.  No bull**** superpowers or special outfits.  His backstory is perfect, and he's just hell bent on cleaning the streets.  Someone said in the thread earlier that they were so tired of Daredevil being a choir boy and I got sick of that too.  What I don't get sick of is a guy who's full steam ahead, pedal to the metal laying waste to everyone in his path and just not giving a ****.  As good as the Daredevil series is, there's too much handwringing and worrying.  There's none of that here.   

12 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I haven’t watched a second of a Marvel tv/Netflix series. I love Barenthal and this one interests me. Will I be completely lost with all he tie-ins and references or is it fairly standalone? 

It's pretty standalone.  The only thing I think you'd miss out on is the Deborah Ann Woll character, Karen.  They met in the Daredevil series and are confidants to each other but you don't need to watch DD to understand that.  

21 hours ago, LD0506 said:

Is that somehow a bad thing?

No.  You'll have to excuse my lack of clarity.  I do not think they were mistaken in making the Punisher the way they did.  It makes for a much more compelling story, plus it goes a long way towards selling a serial killer of sorts to the audience as a protagonist.  The early scene in Juarez Mexico gave me a taste of the "angel of death" style of Punisher that I expected.  While I found the rest very entertaining it just sort of left an itch unscratched.  I hope that makes sense.   

19 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Watched the whole thing, I liked it.  I thought it was pretty gritty.  Definitely got his ass beat and came back for more.  Didn't really care for the Micro character, really thought he was more of a fat slobby likable type.  The chemistry between Punisher and Micro was pretty good at times, though.

ft9P2FJ.jpg

I liked Micro. 

On 11/23/2017 at 5:13 PM, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I haven’t watched a second of a Marvel tv/Netflix series. I love Barenthal and this one interests me. Will I be completely lost with all he tie-ins and references or is it fairly standalone? 

I finished ep 4 Tues. night, so still a ways. Fairly standalone (so far), but you would enjoy the rest. Iron Fist is a noticeable drop off compared to Daredevil, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage, but once you get past the pilot it's not all that bad.

Bernthal basically plays the same character that he played in Fury and TWD. Tough, gritty, 50/50 honorable/psychotic, thinks he's the only one willing to go to the limit to get things done, and will take your wife if you aren't man enough to protect her. Born to play the Punisher, basically, which was what i thought when I heard he was cast

1 hour ago, Gamebreaker said:

I do kinda wish it involved the previous Marvel/Netflix events more, but it’s entertaining so I can’t complain. 

Check out the framed articles on the wall in Karen's office. There's 2 different references there. ;)

Archived