Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

D.C. Culture/History Thread

thebluefood

• 1 month later...

That METRO spot is great ! 

Blue, start with... you are jealous of that one guys fro towards the end. 

I've been on the train systems in other parts of this country. Metro is by far the best and easiest to learn. 

Heck my wife has only been in DC twice. I took her on the train last trip and I feel confident that she could meet me at any stop without much confusion. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

That METRO spot is great ! 

Blue, start with... you are jealous of that one guys fro towards the end. 

I've been on the train systems in other parts of this country. Metro is by far the best and easiest to learn. 

Heck my wife has only been in DC twice. I took her on the train last trip and I feel confident that she could meet me at any stop without much confusion. 

1.) Ha! Well, I did get my hair trimmed a few months back because I couldn't handle the tangles and I didn't want to spend money on product (picking that out every morning alone added an extra 5-10 minutes to my morning routine) 

2.) Metro is easy to get around and I sill love using it when I visit but my folks still living there and using it to commute have been...not so happy with it lately: delays, ongoing infrastructure work, derailments/fires, more delays, etc. They certainly remember when it opened back in '76 and they've made it clear that Metro has seen better days. 

Also, has there been any new action on that light rail/Purple Line project in the Maryland Suburbs? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In honor of Jhoon Rhee's passing:

and another one I remember from my youth:

Some other DC TV commercials (giving me flashbacks)...

This is Baltimore, but I remember seeing these on DC TV as a kid:

• Like 3

On 4/11/2018 at 2:06 PM, Kosher Ham said:

Hell, not the still the best. 

We never used the purple. That's because I was taking her sight seeing mostly. Stayed in NOVA. 

You can't use the purple because its not built :x 

Gogo.  It's been the heartbeat of Washington DC for over 35 years.  In terms of what represents "DC culture," nothing else even comes close. 

The music, the style of dress, the DC lingo, the cars, the violence.  Everything about inner-city DC culture funnels into the gogo scene.  At it's height in the mid-late 90s, there were 4 or 5 different gogo shows on any given night across the city.  

The 808 bass that rattles your intestines, the callout/callbacks between the band and the crowd, the fights, the booty shakin', the drugs, dancing with your friends, the smell of gunpowder outside.  That's how DC parties.  :headbang:

Flightposites?  Check.  White T-shirt?  Check.  Black swishy pants?  Check.  Redskins hat?  Check.  You're ready for the gogo!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, thebluefood said:

"These are not passive hockey fans."

Eagle parking the dancing decibels and Ron Webber the reasons why I am a loyal Capitals fan still

This place all though kinda run down was awesome 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, c slag said:

This place all though kinda run down was awesome 

If your team is winning, playing at a run down venue is always the way to go. RFK Stadium is hideous, run down, and was the first of the unfortunate trend of cookie cutter stadiums. But by all accounts it had one of the best home-field advantages in the NFL because of (not in spite of) its flaws (i.e. the bouncing bleachers). When you're winning, a place doesn't even have flaws - they have "quirks."

Edited by thebluefood
  • Like 3

Local ads?  Here's the greatest of all time. Joe "And Yes" Jacoby  (and Mark May) for TheatreVision. 

Notice the jump cut when they had to edit out "Super Bowl" - "and I am Joe Jacoby of the [snip - cut to Redskins logo] Washington Redskins."

The awkward delivery.  The tight polyester shorts. Revel in its awfulness.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, pjfootballer said:

I like when Jacoby says: Yeth and too can have this...

Classic lisp with the awkward lead-in.

Also, the staging.  There is a “theater sized“ TV on the wall, yet they are sitting in chairs facing AWAY from the screen. It is one of my all-time favorite ads, for many reasons. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

What radio guys are people in the DC area going to remember?  I'm thinking the Greaseman from the 1980s, and the Junkies will have a place in the pantheon. 

Nino Greasmanelli. Hobble-da-gee!

Edited by Dan T.