Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

D.C. Culture/History Thread

thebluefood

https://www.washingtonian.com/2019/04/23/who-are-the-richest-people-in-washington-billionaires/

Who Are the Richest People in Washington?

A few very famous people (Bezos, Laurene Powell Jobs, Trump), a few scions of old-money dynasties (Mars, Marriott), our sports team owners (Snyder, Leonsis, the Lerners), a few people that are well-known only locally (the Carlyle Group guys, Steve Case, BF Saul) and some people I've never heard of (the Rales brothers?  Enrique Segura?)

I'lll paste in Bezos and Snyder, you can read the rest.

Daniel Snyder
Owner, Washington Redskins

Estimated Net Worth:  $2.2 Billion

How he got it: Founded a company that handled outsourced marketing services—product sampling, sponsored display ads—for Fortune 500 companies. It eventually sold for $2.1 billion, according to the Washington Post.

You give him money whenever: You go to a Redskins game.

Where he lives: Potomac (at least for now). In October, news outlets reported that he put his five-bedroom mansion overlooking the Potomac on the market for $49 million. On the compound: a basketball court with the Skins logo.

Whiff of scandal: Snyder’s former marketing company—along with Verizon Communications—paid a $3.1-million fine in 2001 for changing customers’ long-distance service without their authorization. Also, Snyder agreed in 2005 to pay a $37,000 settlement after he improperly cut down 130 trees on his Potomac property. (He’d gotten approval from the National Park Service but not the county.)

How he’s not like us: Reportedly spent more than $100 million for a 305-foot super-yacht that has an Imax theater onboard and was due to be delivered this year.

His politics: Has mostly donated to Republicans, including $1 million to President Trump’s inaugural committee.

Heroic deeds: He and wife Tanya founded the Washington Redskins Charitable Foundation, which has given more than $23 million to local kids’ education and health programs.

Not-so-heroic deeds: Under his leadership, a once-proud sports franchise has become a laughingstock.

Jeffrey Bezos
Amazon CEO

Estimate Net Worth:  $140.3 Billion

How he got it: Spun his online book depot into the world’s “everything store.”

You give him money whenever: You get the Washington Post, buy groceries at Whole Foods (both of which he owns), and, of course, shop on Amazon.

Where he’ll live while in Washington: The Kalorama neighborhood, near Dupont Circle, where he owns DC’s largest residential property—formerly the Textile Museum, now undergoing a $12-million renovation. Also has a home in Medina, Washington; two in Beverly Hills; a ranch in Texas; and a Manhattan condo next to Central Park—though it’s unclear how all this (and his net worth) will shake out post-divorce from his wife, MacKenzie.

Whiff of scandal: In a 2015 New York Times report, some employees charged that much of the success of Bezos and Amazon—which is, of course, bringing HQ2 to Crystal City—was built using “punishing” and “unreasonably high” work standards that forced people to work “long and late.”

Heroic deeds: This year, he pledged $2 billion to underwrite the Bezos Day One Fund, supporting homeless families and building a network of full-scholarship preschools.

How he’s like us: As a child, adored the TV show Star Trek and dreamed of launching spaceships.

How he’s not: As owner of Blue Origin, actually launches spaceships.

His politics: Amazon’s PAC has given equitably to both parties, and last year the company retained a Trump-leaning lobbying firm—either because of or despite goading from the President. (Bezos’s first personal political contribution came last year—$10 million to a bipartisan PAC that supports veterans running for office.) The prevailing consensus: His politics are “pro-Amazon.”

• 1 month later...

A very fun map by Matt Daniels and Russell Goldenberg shows the people most associated with cities, towns, and neighborhoods around the US. The two say they used Wikipedia’s API to comb the site’s “Category:People from” pages (like this one) to find the most-viewed person by median page views.

Here are some of the people most associated with DC-area localities, according to the map. There are many enjoyable weirdnesses: Samuel L. Jackson is listed as the most-Wikipedia’d person from the District, though Ina Garten is the most-Wiki’d from Dupont Circle and John F. Kennedy owns Georgetown. Some people appear twice because people can be “from” more than one area—Sergey Brin, for example, has claims to both Adelphi and Greenbelt, according to the map. Also, and I cannot stress this enough, do not use Daniels’s and Goldenberg’s “A People Map of the US” to drive.

Locality Person
Annandale Mark Hamill
District of Columbia Samuel L. Jackson
Arlington Sandra Bullock
Hyattsville Jim Henson
Landover Martin Lawrence
Bethesda Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Alexandria Jim Morrison
Oxon Hill Taraji P. Henson
Fairfax Jason Sudeikis
Centreville Ludacris
Waldorf Christina Milian
Herndon Sean Parker
Largo Wale
Falls Church Tom Shadyac

I would add Dave Grohl for a Springfield entry. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was wondering why Mix 107.3 started to suck all of a sudden.  

https://www.bizjournals.com/washington/news/2019/02/14/d-c-fm-station-mix-107-3-to-be-sold-as-part-of-103.html

Contemporary radio station WRQX, known as Mix 107.3, will be sold to a Christian radio media organization as part of a larger $103.5 million cash deal involving multiple stations.

Cumulus Media Inc. agreed sell WRQX to Educational Media Foundation along with five other FM stations — WYAY (Atlanta), WPLJ (New York) KFFG (San Francisco), WZAT (Savannah, Georgia) and WXTL (Syracuse, New York). The Atlanta-based Cumulus also entered an agreement with Entercom Communications Corp. to swap three stations each.

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here’s how D.C.-area residents get around town

A3O6XIEY7QI6TGQW3RKR5JNEHM.jpg

While the car remains the dominant means of travel in the Washington region, many residents use a variety of modes to get around — either occasionally or as part of their daily routine, according to a Washington-Post-Schar School poll.

A new analysis of The Post-Schar School survey data found Washington-area residents can be split into four broad categories based on their travel habits, ranging from those most committed to their cars to those who lean heavily on the region’s transit system, ride-hailing apps, bikes and electric scooters.

The groups are:

Transportation Omnivores : Those residents who are early adopters of new services such as e-scooters and ride hailing and incorporate just about every mode of transportation in their travels. They represent 18 percent of the region’s residents.

Drivers Who Dabble : The largest group at 36 percent of residents, these are frequent drivers who will occasionally use Metro or try others modes but eventually return to their cars.

Completely Cars: The 26 percent of the region’s adults who for whatever reason are committed to their cars and only drive.

Homebodies: The 1 in 5 residents who travel less frequently in general.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1

Some of these I agree with, some are comically uninformed.

You Voted: Here Are the Results of Our Best of Washington Readers’ Poll 2019

https://www.washingtonian.com/2019/07/16/you-voted-here-are-the-results-of-our-best-of-washington-readers-poll-2019

Best New Restaurant: St. Anselm
Also popular: Mama Chang, Elle, Chloe

Most Overhyped Restaurant: Le Diplomate
Also unpopular: Founding Farmers, Rose’s Luxury, Pineapple and Pearls, Maydan

Best Burger: Duke’s Grocery
Also popular: Five Guys, Lucky Buns, Good Stuff Eatery, Le Diplomate, Shake Shack

Best Barbecue: Federalist Pig
Also popular: Hill Country, Rocklands, DCity Smokehouse

Best Steakhouse: St. Anselm
Also popular: Medium Rare, Ray’s the Steaks, Rare Steakhouse & Tavern, Bourbon Steak

Best Butcher: Red Apron Butcher
Also popular: Stachowski Market, the Organic Butcher of McLean, Harvey’s Market, Wagshal’s

Best Fried Chicken: Popeyes
Also popular: Bonchon, Astro Doughnuts & Fried Chicken, Central Michel Richard

Best Farmers Market: FreshFarm Dupont Circle Market
Also popular: Eastern Market

Best for Vegetarian: Fancy Radish
Also popular: Chaia, Shouk, Pow Pow, Fare Well, HipCityVeg, Busboys and Poets

Best for Fresh Crabs: Fish Market at the Wharf
Also popular: Quarterdeck, Cantler’s Riverside Inn, Bethesda Crab House

Best Sushi: Sushi Taro
Also popular: Rakuya, O-Ku, Sushiko, Kaz Sushi Bistro

Best Raw Bar: Hank’s Oyster Bar
Also popular: Rappahannock Oyster Bar, Old Ebbitt Grill, the Salt Line

Best Pizza: All-Purpose
Also popular: Timber Pizza Co., 2 Amys, Wiseguy

Best Pasta: Sfoglina
Also popular: Osteria Morini, the Red Hen, Filomena

Best Tacos: Taco Bamba
Also popular: California Tortilla, District Taco, Chaia, Taqueria Habanero

Best Sandwiches: Sundevich
Also popular: Jetties, Bub and Pop’s, the Italian Store, Stachowski Market

Best Fast-Lunch Spot: Cava
Also popular: Sweetgreen

Best Food Stand at Nats Park: Shake Shack
Also popular: Ben’s Chili Bowl

Many more at link.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Sundevich is easily the best sandwich shop in DC. Love that place.

I like Taco Bamba too.

Have not been to Sundevich.  Bub and Pops is really good.  The Deli in the Watergate (not on the list) is criminally underrated.

LOVE Taco Bamba and go every Saturday b/c the one in Springfield is next to where my daughter does gymnastics. 

1 hour ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

Popeyes got best chicken in DC? :ols:

This is the one I was specifically referring to by "comically uninformed."

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Haha 1

Maydan unpopular and overrated? Bad list. 

Haven’t been to taco bamba, but my new taco joint in DC is Bandit Taco. It was district taco for a long time but I think after dining there for almost 10 years, it’s gotten stale. 

Edited by No Excuses

On sandwiches: 

most underrated place in DC is GW Deli. If you can tolerate the hungover obnoxious undergrads, best breakfast sandwiches in the city. Lunch options are solid too. 

Also a huge fan of Bagels etc in DuPont for breakfast food. 

Don’t care much for Bub and Pops. Tried it once, felt “meh”. 

Edited by No Excuses

Bartaco is a pretty good place for tacos in NoVa, in Reston and Mosaic District.

____

Time for a quick confessional.  I read somewhere that the new chicken sandwich at KFC, which sounds like an abomination, is actually pretty good. It’s the KFC Cheetos Chicken Sandwich, and after reading the review, I went and tried it on a whim. Against my better judgement.  

And damn, that review was right.  It was surprisingly good. I was flabbergasted with every bite.

2 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Time for a quick confessional.  I read somewhere that the new chicken sandwich at KFC, which sounds like an abomination, is actually pretty good. It’s the KFC Cheetos Chicken Sandwich, and after reading the review, I went and tried it on a whim. Against my better judgement.  

And damn, that review was right.  It was surprisingly good. I was flabbergasted with every bite.

The KFC Double Down

kfc.jpg

Where You'd Get It:

KFC, and then again in hell.

Why You'd Get It:
We can no longer avoid the fact that our way of life is entirely unsustainable. Population is spiraling out of control and we are eating up resources at a rate faster than we are renewing them, and we have absolutely no planned fix for this. Our relationship to Earth isn't symbiotic. We are parasites, selfishly and thoughtlessly feeding off of this planet until both of us die.

What is it?

We've covered this death threat masquerading as a sandwich before, but it really requires special attention. Basically it's a bacon, cheese and fat sauce sandwich with pieces of fried chicken instead of buns. You can also get it with grilled chicken buns instead of fried chicken buns if you're trying to eat healthier, but you're not, because you hate yourself, and everyone you know will either die before you, leaving you alone, or live long enough after your death to completely forget about you.

Ordering:

I've had the KFC Double Down twice. The first time was during the day and, when I asked for it, the KFC clerk asked "Are you sure?" which I think they're legally obligated to do. Refusing to repeat myself, I simply expressed my seriousness by saying, "and a side of that buttery macaroni and cheese ... for now." I let the "for now" linger itallically in the air as a way of letting her know that, if she questioned me again, I'd order a family style bucket of chicken faces, and then my death would be on her hands.

The second time I ordered the Double Down was at about 11:00 at night on a Wednesday and they didn't bat an eye. It takes a serious eater or a seriously depressed person to actively want a Double Down, and I guess they just expect that sort of customer to only come out at night.

Eating It:

Is it obvious to say "chickeny?" Because it's extremely chickeny, very salty and in no way worth it twice. As an affront to God, it is successful, but as a sandwich, it falls flat. By not making the bread the star of the show, it breaks a pretty fundamental sandwich rule in its lack of consideration for what goes in between the meat buns. I don't care if your buns are made of chicken or beef or gold-plated-arsenic; that's no excuse for skimping on the center of the sandwich. Ignoring the buns, the Double Down is a bacon/cheese sandwich with two pieces of bacon which (check your local Bacon Laws), is illegal. I found myself drowning in a sea of chicken-flavored chicken buns when all I wanted was a life raft of more bacon, cheese and fat sauce.

I'm saying I don't recommend it, but I'm also saying I already ate two of them.

Immediately After Eating It:

While the sandwich is undeniably dense, it's still very small, about a fistful of chicken all told. Even though I was full, my body still wanted more food because my mouth isn't used to not chewing after, like, four minutes of eating. Make sure you order a side dish, and most KFC's come equipped with a lawyer on retainer, so make sure he's there to help you make out your will.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

The KFC Double Down

kfc.jpg

Different sandwich than the one I tried:

cheetos_sandwich_KFC.jpg

Here's the review I read which led me to give it a taste:

https://thetakeout.com/taste-test-kfc-cheetos-sandwich-review-1836364299

I’m no Malcolm Gladwell, but surely he could pithily coin a psychological term for that moment of realization when doubt turns to epiphany. It’s the light switch being flipped, the red phosphorous of the match igniting, the step over into the event horizon. You know, when your knee-jerk reaction is to think revulsion, but then you stew on it for a few, and at some point reach that moment when you think: “Wait a minute, this might work.”

I thought that way about watermelon and feta. Peaches and black pepper. Wendy’s Frosty and French fries. And now I think that way about the KFC Cheetos sandwich. Back in January when it was announced I stared at the picture of that sandwich from all angles, and after that momentary stun grenade of shock, immediately saw its potential.

This is ostensibly a glorified take on stuffing potato chips into your ham sandwich. It’s biting into a pillowing texture only to find unexpected crunchiness in the center. I’m glad they kept the frills to a minimum here—the only elements are the buns, breaded white meat chicken, mayonnaise, Cheetos, and an oily substance referred to as “Cheetos sauce.”

About that sauce, KFC uses an oil of similar viscosity to drench its Georgia Gold, Nashville Hot, and Smoky Mountain BBQ fried chickens. It’s terribly messy, but that oil is flavor-dense and gets into the nooks and crannies of the fried batter, which is the goal here with the chicken fillet (think Frank’s Red Hot + butter = Buffalo wings sauce). The problem, as you can see from the photo above, is that the sandwich gets pretty oily, and eating it without napkins can be detrimental for your dry-cleaning bill.

That said, the Cheetos oil tastes like—get ready—Cheetos in oil form, as if cheesy dust was blended into melted butter. You can imagine how that would taste sauced over fried chicken. The mayonnaise serves as a binding agent and adds some creaminess, but it’s the crunchy Cheetos itself that proves to be the revelation. The thing, though, is that the Cheetos used in my sandwich appeared to have sat out for a while, and while there was some crunch, you could tell it had been exposed to oxygen and is beginning to turn stale. The takeaway here is to imagine its potential, how fresh Cheetos would taste on a sandwich, and how if ever the opportunity comes where you have a fried chicken sandwich on hand, a bag of unopened Cheetos may elevate the sandwich to heights heretofore unexperienced. It’s as attractive as frizzled fried onions on a burger, only cheesier and more audibly crunchy.

Oh, and to get the thread back on track... through Saturday, see a full-scale hi-def animated image of the Saturn V rocket that blasted Apollo 11 into orbit projected onto the  east facade of the Washington Monument.

In addition, on Friday and Saturday nights, "Apollo 50: Go for the Moon," is a 17-minute show that will combine full-motion projection mapping artwork and archival footage to recreate the launch of Apollo 11 and tell the story of the first Moon landing. The show will unfold on the face of the Washington Monument and supporting screens, including a 40-foot-wide recreation of the famous Kennedy Space Center countdown clock. 

The free show will run at 9:30 pm, 10:30 pm, and 11:30 pm on Friday, July 19, and Saturday, July 20.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

It’s too bad the weather is ****. Friday and Saturday night are going to be muggy, humid and everyone sitting outside will be mosquito food. Going to pass on this one. 

It is past my daughter's bedtime, so I can't do it either.  

Saturday I will be going to this for as long as the kiddo, dog and my balls can stand the heat:

https://www.washingtonian.com/2019/07/17/all-day-outdoor-bar-and-restaurant-the-garden-is-open-in-del-ray/

There’s a lot more than brews and brats on tap at The Garden, a 100-seat outdoor bar and restaurant that opened last week in Del Ray. Owners Jeremy Barber and chef Justus Frank, the duo behind adjoining Charlie’s on the Avenue sports bar and nearby Southern restaurant Live Oak, wanted to build a beer garden that would appeal to the whole neighborhood. To that end, there’s a kid’s menu, dog’s menu (coming soon), and regular menu filled with summery items like draft grapefruit crushes, soft-shell crab sandwiches, and sno-cones.

TheGarden1-1.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

It’s too bad the weather is ****. Friday and Saturday night are going to be muggy, humid and everyone sitting outside will be mosquito food. Going to pass on this one. 

Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins experienced crushing G-forces, temperature extremes, and the real possibility of being left stranded in space for eternity, yet you're going to be deterred by a little temperature spike?!!?!? What kind of candy-ass patriot are you?

38804fd454848f511a32a956e7a29178ce972b48

• Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/goingoutguide/forget-chicken-sandwiches-which-chain-makes-the-best-fried-chicken/2019/08/28/05b2ae4c-bf8e-11e9-b873-63ace636af08_story.html

Forget chicken sandwiches. Which chain makes the best fried chicken?

There’s no shortage of fried chicken from which to choose in the D.C. area, from the high-end offerings of such chefs as David Burke, David Deshaies, Tom Power and Cedric Maupillier, all following in the footsteps of the late Michel Richard, to the down-and-dirty — er, make that delicious — mom-and-pop carryouts such as Crown on H Street NE, where they serve collard greens as a side. Yum. Then there’s hot fried chicken, Korean and Japanese fried chicken, popcorn fried chicken and so on.

Somewhere in the middle lie the chains.

In the DMV, there are six: Bojangles’, KFC, Pollo Campero, Popeyes, Roy Rogers and Royal Farms. And there are more differences between them than the presence of an apostrophe (Bojangles’) or the absence of one (Popeyes). Read on for an opinionated, highly unscientific yet completely true ranking of the area’s best franchises to get whole, cut up, bone-in fried chicken (please, no nuggets, tenders or wingettes).

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...