Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

2 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Now, if Bernie actually won the nomination and still held out on releasing them? We can re-visit this issue. 

Isn't it too late at that point?

All candidates running should have to disclose tax returns and confirm they will divest any financial interests that could be a conflict of interest into, at a minimum, a blind trust.

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Isn't it too late at that point?

All candidates running should have to disclose tax returns and confirm they will divest any financial interests that could be a conflict of interest into, at a minimum, a blind trust.

Agree on the returns, but the last part would cripple many business owners.

Even allowing someone else to manage the business wouldn't be enough.

1 minute ago, twa said:

Agree on the returns, but the last part would cripple many business owners.

Even allowing someone else to manage the business wouldn't be enough.

Then I'm sorry but if your need to run your business interests is a stronger motivator than serving your Country as POTUS then you will not be/should not be able to run. And I get that might disqualify some very able candidates from running but IMO thats a price worth paying to avoid some of the **** show we are seeing right now. Same rules should apply to VP and Cabinet level appointments. 

28 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Then I'm sorry but if your need to run your business interests is a stronger motivator than serving your Country as POTUS then you will not be/should not be able to run. And I get that might disqualify some very able candidates from running but IMO thats a price worth paying to avoid some of the **** show we are seeing right now. Same rules should apply to VP and Cabinet level appointments. 

Trump is unique in his corruption.  I have to ask, if someone liquidates their possible co flicting assets or sells their business interests that might be co flict of interests, what are they supposed to do when they are out of office?

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Trump is unique in his corruption.  I have to ask, if someone liquidates their possible co flicting assets or sells their business interests that might be co flict of interests, what are they supposed to do when they are out of office?

Besides which doing so doesn't prevent you benefiting family or friends which can return the favor later.(which we see quite often under current rules)

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

They don't need to liquidate their business or assets - just place them into a blind trust. 

And is Trump unique? Hes uniquely unfit for any public office but he's arguably not unique in his level of corruption (just too dumb or arrogant to hide it). Dick Cheney springs to mind.

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

They don't need to liquidate their business or assets - just place them into a blind trust. 

And is Trump unique? Hes uniquely unfit for any public office but he's arguably not unique in his level of corruption (just too dumb or arrogant to hide it). Dick Cheney springs to mind.

Trump is just a whole nother level, even Cheney had lines or some sort of compass that didn't always point to himself.

I'm fine with blind trust idea, is everyone else?  I've mentioned before how Id rather tax returns released to FBI for conflicts of interests instead of being made public.  I want privacy to matter so we can get more candidates who wouldn't normally run, we keep getting people with no shame in their game.

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

I've mentioned before how Id rather tax returns released to FBI for conflicts of interests instead of being made public.  I want privacy to matter so we can get more candidates who wouldn't normally run, we keep getting people with no shame in their game.

I think that would be better than nothing.

The problem with that approach is the FBI issue a report of some kind that goes to, let's say at random someone like the Attorney General, who issues a letter which says something along the lines of "I have read the FBI report and everything is fine - nothing to see here".  Then about a week later people in the FBI who were involved in the report start leaking that actually the report did not say everything was fine.

I mean something like that could happen ...

4 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I think that would be better than nothing.

The problem with that approach is the FBI issue a report of some kind that goes to, let's say at random someone like the Attorney General, who issues a letter which says something along the lines of "I have read the FBI report and everything is fine - nothing to see here".  Then about a week later people in the FBI who were involved in the report start leaking that actually the report did not say everything was fine.

I mean something like that could happen ...

Fair, I just have more faith in our institutions then that (especially now). OMB may be better place for something like that, but I (unpopular) want people to have the chance for a government entity to look over what they have and give chance to rectify items that might be on the line. 

Having FBI and OMB involved may scare of folks who know they will get caught up, I want to scare off the corrupt, not people that just want to help but don't want their life story out for everyone to see.  Did anyone really read a candidates tax returns before Trump said no?  I asked this not to long ago, I never met someone that said yes.

12 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Fair, I just have more faith in our institutions then that (especially now). OMB may be better place for something like that, but I (unpopular) want people to have the chance for a government entity to look over what they have and give chance to rectify items that might be on the line. 

Having FBI and OMB involved may scare of folks who know they will get caught up, I want to scare off the corrupt, not people that just want to help but don't want their life story out for everyone to see.  Did anyone really read a candidates tax returns before Trump said no?  I asked this not to long ago, I never met someone that said yes.

That's not an unreasonable position and would be a big improvement on the status quo. I'd prefer full transparency personally but I get the privacy issues you raise.

Sell your business. Period. 

If you don’t want to, fine. Don’t run for President. Those are the standards. Any other way just leads to corruption and conflicts of interest. 

———

Also Joe Biden is done. You don’t get to say you are learning amidst newfound information that your behavior was inappropriate and then immediately turn around and make jokes about it. 

A tan suit doesn’t impact a single person. Non-consensually kissing them on the back of the head while they are at work (or otherwise) does. As does getting handsy with people trying to be professional at work etc. 

they arent close to being comparable. I doubt you just walk up and kiss your coworkers on the back of the head when you want to show your support 

3 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I agree 200% with this.

Bernie should release his tax returns, along with everyone else. My only issue is why are people ONLY attacking Bernie over this?

Competition. Anything to hurt your competition, you do it.  Bernie is the big guy, the current front runner.  You have to knock him down, if you want to take his place.

Here's some things that should be required to run for President:

1.  The age of candidate will be from 35 to 65, on the day of the election.  For presidency, we don't need someone older than 65.  While it isn't with everyone, it's just a fact; one's mental capacity declines with age.  Will need a constitutional amendment for this one.

2. The candidate will disclose all their financial information, including taxes; upon entering the race.

3.  Every candidate should be given a mental evaluation by a psychiatric panel of 2 or more persons.  You don't have to reveal the results of that examination but you would issue a statement; whether you feel the person is mentally fit to run.

4.  Anyone running for President, shall immediately put all their holdings in a Trust. If you want to run for President, then that's your focus.  You can't use the run, as a benefit to you or your businesss; while running.

5.  No candidate, can enter the race before Jan 1; the year of the election.  These 2-3 year election cycles are unnecessary 

6.  Full disclosure of all campain donations.  If someone is going to give you a huge amount of money, we should know who it is.

I'm sure there's some more changes but those are some of what I would do.

I love her but I just don’t think she can win. For all the things she does have she is lacking in the things that turn out voters and swing undecideds 

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

Lot of fake outrage in this thread.  This is the reason why Trump wins again.  Dems and their platitudes.

The Dems aren’t toast because 78yr old centrist Biden, whose only real platform is being friends with Obama, might be out of the race. 

They also arent toast because they correctly acknowledge and rebuke  inappropriate behavior, even among their own. 

34 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I love her but I just don’t think she can win. For all the things she does have she is lacking in the things that turn out voters and swing undecideds 

The Dems aren’t toast because 78yr old centrist Biden, whose only real platform is being friends with Obama, might be out of the race. 

They also arent toast because they correctly acknowledge and rebuke  inappropriate behavior, even among their own. 

Theyre toast because they’re fighting amongst themselves about who is the holiest of thou.  Between Biden being too nice and Bernie not releasing his taxes and Warren not having the savvy to realize that she’s getting played by Trump... they’re murdering each other.

That said, the Republican race was pretty cutthroat too.  I just think that democrat voters have a willingness to withhold votes because they don’t like one of their own for whatever reason.

Also, I’m still team Biden.  Ride or die ****es.

•  
9 hours ago, Simmsy said:

Campaign finance violations happen in EVERY campaign, but thanks for doing the "whattabout" with Obama instead of the "whattabout" with Hilary, that was mildly refreshing. You see, when a campaign finance violation happens, you pay a fine and give the money back, like every normal campaign has done. Now, do you REALLY want to talk about campaign finance violation?

5yv39.jpg

Archived