Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

Y'all do remember we talking about VP of the United States, not a substitute teacher in case Biden has to call out sick, right?

If Texas is in play without a VP even being picked yet, its just getting greedy picking someone who isn't ready just to try to run up the score.

Pick Warren and promise to reform Police Departments on a national level and you won't need a Black Female VP.  Stop talking, start doing, with who you need to do it.

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Y'all do remember we talking about VP of the United States, not a substitute teacher in case Biden has to call out sick, right?

If Texas is in play without a VP even being picked yet, its just getting greedy picking someone who isn't ready just to try to run up the score.

Pick Warren and promise to reform Police Departments on a national level and you won't need a Black Female VP.  Stop talking, start doing, with who you need to do it.

I certainly like Warren but I have a feeling that Joe and his team may also be looking for someone who is a bit younger as well. 

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I certainly like Warren but I have a feeling that Joe and his team may also be looking for someone who is a bit younger as well. 

If he only does one term, does it matter?

I can see the logic in doing that, but only if they know what they doing.  No training wheels, we got a three-prong national disaster on our hands right now, we don't have time for on the job training.

All the sudden I've shifted to us being lucky the Dem candidate is a former VP.  I like Pete, but can you imagine asking him as POTUS to fix all this at 38?

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

I can see the logic in doing that, but only if they know what they doing.  No training wheels, we got a three-prong national disaster on our hands right now, we don't have time for on the job training.

All the sudden I've shifted to us being lucky the Dem candidate is a former VP.  I like Pete, but can you imagine asking him as POTUS do fix all this at 38?

It would matter if the VP is someone who's expected to run if Joe only decides to do 1 term.

As far as knowing what they're doing and experience on the national stage with the ability to step in quickly, I agree and I'd say that would be between Harris and Warren (Klobuchar has the experience but she's more or less irrelevant right now IMO). And if they're looking for someone who could carry the torch after Joe is out of office (whether that's 2024 or 2028), Warren probably wouldn't be the ideal fit because she'll already be 71 this month. 

I'm guessing Harris is definitely the front-runner.

6 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Well, the number one job (by FAR) of the VP pick is to help the ticket win. So, I don't really like the idea of saying things like "don't try to run up the score". We don't know what the final state of the race will be. The person who most helps Biden win is the best choice.

Again, the worry with qualifications is the drag it could be on the ticket. The first thing a VP should do is to not cause any harm, especially when you start off the gerneal election in the lead. And with a 78 year old that many voters are worried won't stay Compos Mentis for four years, doing something like picking a woman with only a year and a half of presiding over a <500K person city is a ridiculous gamble to take. 

And this idea of "gotta pick a black woman" might lead us to Kamala, who black voters had no interest in when she ran for President, who is currently preferred far less by black voters than Warren for VP, has nowhere near the plans or proposals to help black citizens as Warren, and who has a troubling history in prosecutions, which she seems incapable of defending. It would be the most Democrat thing ever to pick her and be like "You're welcome, black people".

19 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

All the sudden I've shifted to us being lucky the Dem candidate is a former VP.  I like Pete, but can you imagine asking him as POTUS to fix all this at 38?

In my opinion his choice should be a strong contender for being the next President. That's part of why age matters. The other is the young people don't really care for old man Joe. I have two daughters who will basically hold their noses when voting for him. Others won't bother. Youth would provide a good contrast to Trump/Pence.

Add: Experience is important but people vote for charisma. 

Several things in this discussion (by which I mean the way people talk about the VP selection process, not just in this thread) I find either hysterical or infuriating:

1. The idea that I need to let Joe Biden pick my next President after him.

2. That, after watching a race where the top 4 contenders were 70+ (3/4 nearly 80) to compete with a 75 year old, the idea that voters are demanding youth.

3. That people talk as if a VP is something like an automatic successor. 

4. Or that it's even necessarily a good idea to nominate a sitting VP (especially if after two terms).

5. That someone who could serve a term as VP, be elected President and then be running for a second term at basically Joe Biden's age now is "too old". 

@Rufus T Firefly and @mistertim

Think yall over thinking this.

These are unprecedented times. We shouldn't overthinking the future while trying to save the present.

Biden and Sanders typically dominated the black vote for much of the primaries until Biden pulled away with Warren typically third. A huge reason why is her appeal to young black voters.

She's also the only one that went everywhere that Trump went after his photo-op as an intentional F U.  Biden is going to need help, I stand that if this stays a 10 point race by August, Biden shouldn't be picking a candidate based on it being a close race.

Obama picked someone he trusted as VP, he coulda picked Hillary.

Edit: I'll add that its up to voters to vote like its a tight race and Biden to assemble whatever team he needs to save the country.

17 minutes ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

In my opinion his choice should be a strong contender for being the next President. That's part of why age matters. The other is the young people don't really care for old man Joe. I have two daughters who will basically hold their noses when voting for him. Others won't bother. Youth would provide a good contrast to Trump/Pence.

Add: Experience is important but people vote for charisma. 

Who's young enough to be the next President with a little more grooming but ready to be President now?

Feels oxymoronic to me, pragmaticly, I'd want to pick one or the other.  This election we don't need the next president on this ticket, we need to save the country to be able to hand off to the next person who will should be younger.

Yes, the previous generation should try to fix their mess best they can before turning it over to us.  A lot needs to get done in four years.

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

@Rufus T Firefly and @mistertim

Think yall over thinking this.

These are unprecedented times. We shouldn't overthinking the future while trying to save the present.

Biden and Sanders typically dominated the black vote for much of the primaries until Biden pulled away with Warren typically third. A huge reason why is her appeal to young black voters.

She's also the only one that went everywhere that Trump went after his photo-op as an intentional F U.  Biden is going to need help, I stand that if this stays a 10 point race by August, Biden shouldn't be picking a candidate based on it being a close race.

Obama picked someone he trusted as VP, he coulda picked Hillary.

I'm not sure why you're directing a lot of this at someone who has stated that picking anyone but Warren would be a mistake. 

But the number one priority is winning. Really, all of the top 10 priorities are wing, because nothing else matters if you lose. And thinking "well, I've got this won", ever, but especially vs an incumbent, is suicidal hubris. 

Hillary picked Kaine because she thought she had her race won and wanted someone she was comfortable with, by the way. That was in late July 2016.

8 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I'm not sure why you're directing a lot of this at someone who has stated that picking anyone but Warren would be a mistake. 

But the number one priority is winning. Really, all of the top 10 priorities are wing, because nothing else matters if you lose. And thinking "well, I've got this won", ever, but especially vs an incumbent, is suicidal hubris. 

Hillary picked Kaine because she thought she had her race won and wanted someone she was comfortable with, by the way. That was in late July 2016.

It's just a conversation, relax.

"I got this won" is just as bad as picking the wrong person because their afraid of losing an election you have a 10 point lead in.

If this is a ten point lead in August, pick Warren and double down on fixing the country.  It was joked about in this thread earlier about assembling the Avengers, seriously, that's what we need right now.

We just had a black president who couldn't get this "fixed" in two terms, I know addressing institutional racism is a process that just being black won't expedite. He picked Biden because he trusted him, I really don't know why Hillary picked Kaine.  She won that state and still lost the election.

12 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

It's just a conversation, relax.

There's nothing I need to "relax" about.

12 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

"I got this won" is just as bad as picking the wrong person because their afraid of losing an election you have a 10 point lead in.

No it isn't. Though it depends on what you mean by "wrong person" which sounds like a Straw Man.  

You can, should, must pick someone who is not only ready to be President and an asset to an administration, but who can also help you win (which is Warren, imo). If you think you're choosing between those things, then something has gone horribly off the rails in the section process. 

14 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Gavin Newsom

I would've put his name out there if his state wasn't a sure blue.  I can still get behind that, but can't now that Biden promised his VP would be a woman.

Another reason I don't like making promises like that.

10 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

There's nothing I need to "relax" about.

Ok.

No it isn't. Though it depends on what you mean by "wrong person" which sounds like a Straw Man.  

Being black I've lost patience with tickets that are supposed to make me feel better versus actual policy.

You can, should, must pick someone who is not only ready to be President and an asset to an administration, but who can also help you win (which is Warren, imo). If you think you're choosing between those things, then something has gone horribly off the rails in the section process. 

If we agree it should be Warren for different reasons, we should just drop this. 

5 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

That was never at issue, just the thought process behind choosing a running mate, which should be about 98% based on winning the election. 

If you gonna say I'm too far to "can do the job" and probably right, I think you're too far to "winning the election" and should come back closer to the middle, too.

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

If you gonna say I'm too far to "can do the job" and probably right, I think you're too far to "winning the election" and should come back closer to the middle, too.

Nah. If you lose, it really doesn't matter if you "can do the job".

Maybe tell me someone who can help win but isn't capable of doing the job and I'll consider amending my statement. 

Just now, Rufus T Firefly said:

Nah. If you lose, it really doesn't matter if you "can do the job".

Maybe tell me someone who can help win but isn't capable of doing the job and I'll consider amending my statement. 

Stacey Abrams

14 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I'm not at all convinced Abrams helps Biden win, but I am confident she could do the job quite well.

So, no. 

I feel opposite of you on her, on what basis are you confident she can handle VP based on her actual government experience?

She'd definitely help him push Georgia over the edge to get two Dem senators, it may be worth it.

This whole conversation feels constructive yet frustrating because I'm not convinced Biden was the best candidate but he was picked because of how badly folks wanted to beat Trump, and complained the whole way about it.

I again am tired of focusing so much on winning elections that we almost forget why we have them, its not to win them, this isn't track.

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I feel opposite of you in her, on what basis are you confident she can handle VP based on her actual government experience?

Based solely off of her experience? Nothing. Based on who she is, her dedication and brains? No doubt about her at all. 

Based solely on  a resume of experience, George W Bush was definitely more qualified than Barack Obama to be President. But I never had any doubt Obama could do the job, while I never thought W could. Was I wrong?

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

She'd definitely help him push Georgia over the edge to get two Dem senators, it may be worth it.

No, she wouldn't definitely do any such thing. Georgia remains a long shot for Biden. If he wins it, it's probably because he's crushing Trump and didn't need Georgia anyway. Winning that state probably doesn't hinge on Abrams being on the ticket, and winning the Presidency certainly doesn't hinge on Georgia. 

Archived