Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

2 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I plan on being very involved in making a blue wave happen (assuming I can leave my house). 

Amazing how much damage they can do via the Internet from the other side of the planet. Read an article they starting to hire folks in Nigeria via someone from Kenya for Russian troll farms to make them harder to trace back to them. That caught my wife's eye her being from there.

My guess Bernie picks option 1. Have an active campaign but don’t attack Joe. He wants to amass as much delegates as he can; so he can influence the platform and try to pull Joe closer to him.

It’s still possible Joe won’t have 1991 going into the convention. There’s no way the Dems pick Sanders. If the choice isn’t Joe, the Dems will pick someone else.

Admiring the Bernie Bots' argument that Bernie must absolutely keep doing what he did four years ago (but with even more zeal), because we don't want Trump to win again.  

And seriously?  Bernie must keep dividing the Dem vote, or lots of people will die?  

14 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

LOL. What he should do, as the presumptive nominee of a major party and someone who wants to become leader of the free world, is lead. His opponent is increasing his favorably rating by lying his way through press conference after press conference, and no one I talk to is aware Biden has done literally anything to counter him all week. He's going to start doing "shadow press conferences" next week? Great, at least a week too late, but glad he's going to try something. You think it's OK that Trump is helping himself and the Dem candidate can't figure out how to get himself on the news? We'll agree to disagree then.

Imagine if he had been doing press events and was like 25% as effective as Rachel Maddow. 

Edit

I understand what you saying but it is very tricky. Him coming out aggressive against 45 during the pandemic could really backfire. Those that already do not like the man, and those blindly following him will not be phased. But those independents could see it as an attack against the country and the office in time of crisis. 

I think he would do best to mostly stay out of it at this point, now that things are finally being done. It's horribly late and now has to be great overkill to make up for the incompetent late start, not to mention disbanding the commission that could have been out in front of this. But at this point, it will just look petty and political to point what is painfully obvious to most and clearly unimportant to the rest who blindly support him.

Maybe not go completely quiet but you have to be careful. Again, it could really backfire horribly and create sympathy for him. 

10 hours ago, goskins10 said:

I understand what you saying but it is very tricky. Him coming out aggressive against 45 during the pandemic could really backfire. Those that already do not like the man, and those blindly following him will not be phased. But those independents could see it as an attack against the country and the office in time of crisis. 

I think he would do best to mostly stay out of it at this point, now that things are finally being done. It's horribly late and now has to be great overkill to make up for the incompetent late start, not to mention disbanding the commission that could have been out in front of this. But at this point, it will just look petty and political to point what is painfully obvious to most and clearly unimportant to the rest who blindly support him.

Maybe not go completely quiet but you have to be careful. Again, it could really backfire horribly and create sympathy for him. 

Nah. Anyone who thought Biden criticizing Trump for not aggressively producing tests or medical equipment, for attacking governors and the press rather than responding to the crisis and for relentlessly lying qualified as "attacking the country" is a lost cause anyway.

Besides this is all stuff Biden is doing now. It's just a matter of why it's taken him so long.

From the article:

Biden, who indicated he had consulted with his former boss, President Barack Obama, didn’t mention any names. But he said nothing to dispel the speculation that he’s considering the three senators who ran against him for president — Kamala Harris, Amy Klobuchar and Elizabeth Warren.

Advertisement

“Background checks matter. They have to be prepared,” Biden said, adding that he wants to ensure that “there’s not going to be any snafu” with his selection.

“The most important thing, and I've actually talked to Barack about this — the most important thing is that there has to be someone who, the day after they’re picked, is prepared to be president of the United States of America if something happened,” said Biden, who is 77.

Biden said he needs “someone who is comfortable with where I am” on policy. He doesn’t want someone with “a restricted view of the United States and its required influence in the world” and wants to make sure his pick is not “at odds, in any fundamental way, with my attitude toward healthcare or education.”

4 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Have to admit, I can't help but think about how things go if the virus gets Biden. Or Biden and Sanders. They're definitely in the high risk group (Sanders more so). 

The virus would likely finish both men off. One can dream a Dem nominee not being Biden or Sanders.  Get someone in their 40's or 50's.  The 2020 campaign is probably going to be more virtual than actual live interactions with humans.   While Bernie would be okay with that, Biden would probably be pathetic at it. The candidates are going to have to come up with new ways of campaigning. 

26 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

The virus would likely finish both men off. One can dream a Dem nominee not being Biden or Sanders.  Get someone in their 40's or 50's.  The 2020 campaign is probably going to be more virtual than actual live interactions with humans.   While Bernie would be okay with that, Biden would probably be pathetic at it. The candidates are going to have to come up with new ways of campaigning. 

I don't like the term "dreaming up" a different nominee, as that implies this is something being wished for, which I would assume nobody is.

I find it funny people keep talking about younger candidates as if this is something to obsess over. The top 4 delegate getters were in their 70s, fighting to oppose a mid 70s President. There is no clamor for a young nominee.

And Bernie is the oldest and was pioneering virtual campaigning. Buttigieg would have been good at it, I'm sure, but so would Warren. It's not really about age.

Though clearly Biden isn't the ideal person for it:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/joe-biden-digital-campaign-coronavirus_n_5e751d72c5b6eab779481358

18 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Biden has to be visible but I agree that he has to avoid the obvious traps here.  America is in crisis and a lot of people will be annoyed by someone adding only attacks and criticisms.  I know I don’t want Biden to turn into some sort of back seat driver during a pandemic.  I’m guessing I’m not alone.  He has to position himself as a person that wants to help and knows how to help, but that also intends to hold Trump accountable.  It’s about balance.

Some may enjoy a steady stream of insults, Trump is proof of that, but I don’t think democrats respond as well to that sort of messaging.  

22 hours ago, Springfield said:

Bernie die hards are out of their ****ing mind.

I honestly wonder how many of them are actually Russian bots. Wasn't there evidence recently that Russia is trying to aid Bernie's campaign? I know there are true blue die hard Bernie Bros but I'm guessing there's at least some infiltration there. 

22 hours ago, Springfield said:

Bernie die hards are out of their ****ing mind.

Bout to unfollow the subreddit, it's gone off the deep end of desperation and laffy taffy stretching of Biden quotes.

11 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Have to admit, I can't help but think about how things go if the virus gets Biden. Or Biden and Sanders. They're definitely in the high risk group (Sanders more so). 

So is Trump, Pence and Pelosi.

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

I honestly wonder how many of them are actually Russian bots. Wasn't there evidence recently that Russia is trying to aid Bernie's campaign? I know there are true blue die hard Bernie Bros but I'm guessing there's at least some infiltration there. 

the truth is there are plenty of bernie bros that fit the well-bandied negative stereotype...if you're a bernie person and you doubt that  is so, then you're absolutely in denial...at the same time,  there are bots no doubt and likely plenty of them...that's one aspect how basic moves often work in such manipulations, you mold the clay combining something real with something false

if you take it from 30, 000 ft., bernie and the movement would have been (and are) an excellent tool for the russian in terms of milking divisiveness for many years because that group represents a more "extreme" wing of a major political party with a semi-cultish figurehead who embraces the idea of "disruptor" along with his "followers"....their "movement" (that has turned out far weaker supporting numbers in voting to date than last effort) positions several core demographics in conflicting ways (mill vs boomer, far left vs moderate left) before we even get to the opposing party, and does so to a high degree ....thus an obvious target for manipulation to exacerbate the very real non-manipulated already-high divisiveness.....in fact, i would figure the intelligent conspiracy theorist would suspect that bernie has been an attractive object to the rookies for a long time and they've likely been using him for longer than since 2015 with or without "collusion", witting or otherwise by bernie & co

the vast majority of bernie supporters are perfectly representative of their younger more liberal demographic vs the older "slow down there sonny and missy" folks throughout much of history and i find many of "them" reminiscent of the 60's generation in terms of active rebellion against long standing social injustices ...which of course are quite real except in the minds of many "conservatives" 

truth is often more complicated on most substantive topics than not, part of which is what can be seemingly contradictory or conflicting aspects at times on the same matter that are equally factual or valid....reductionism is common cuz it makes it easier to dance to

boy, this is some good and strong coffee :806:

40 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Thread title now reflecting BernieBro/Russian talking points, “Decrepit Joe”

agreed...for me, it's something i don't think "ordering" a title change as a mod seems ideal since it also is a common take (easily challenged in fact and questionable in terms of value/intention) on joe from many who just really don't like joe (often i think it's mainly his lack of "on camera sharpness" in these days of how you come off on a screen is one of the biggest of big deals)....

@Redskins20000---do you have a take on the title parroting that meme? 

while i'm making this post (there's a connection) i want to remind that for many years here what sources you use in serious topics are particularly subject to scrutiny as to their validity and posters can be held accountable in all the standard ways (the judge will be the same as in rule 12)...so first consider if the claim you're making should include a source for the claim to be more credible, then consider your choice of source thoughtfully :)

i can tell ya that i will be applying a demanding eye/attitude to dis/mis-information on any topic of substance these days

outrageous, i know

Archived