Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

14 minutes ago, tshile said:

Re: press conference on free and fair election 

in a vacuum she’s got a point. The Dems were doing that in 2016 too. I believe their favorite line was to declare him “not a legitimate president”

Aside from a very few outliers, "Dem" elected officials were not declaring him "not a legitimate president." That's convenient revisionist history.

Telling about some of the quotes, like McConnell's stating "The winner of the November 3rd election will be inaugurated January 20th."  Essentially setting up for the fight that Trump will be leading on election night but mail in votes will take Biden past him later on.  But that's not November 3rd anymore.

Trumps healthcare plan is the political equivalent of writing a paper on the bus ride to school.  He’s just trying to turn something in so Biden won’t point out he’s shown up empty handed at the debate.  He has no healthcare plan, because he hasn’t found a good way to tell the American people “we want you to die horribly, and bankrupt, once your money runs out.”

Trump has essentially rolled back as much Obama policy as possible, but then anything that Obama did that remains popular, he is trying to executive order back in, well actually pretend to do that, to make it look like he is fixing a problem that either didn't exist in the first place, or a mess he created.

Also, can someone from the press please ask Kayleigh McEnany JUST ONCE if she can ever answer a question without flipping through her book of right-wing talking points?  It is so apparent she is just reciting something prepared by Fox and/or right-wing think tanks and she never goes off that script.

Also, I believe she is misquoting Hillary Clinton about contesting the election results.  If I remember correctly. all Hillary said is that with all the mail in voting likely to happen, it could take a day or two to get everything counted, so Biden should not concede the race on election night if Trump attempts to declare himself the winner while votes are still being counted.

EDIT: One more thing....Someone from the press needs to ask Kayleigh why Trump has everyone behind him in the camera shot at his rallies where masks yet the vast majority of the crowd that is packed in like sardines are not wearing masks.  

5 minutes ago, Destino said:

Trumps healthcare plan is the political equivalent of writing a paper on the bus ride to school.  He’s just trying to turn something in so Biden won’t point out he’s shown up empty handed at the debate.  He has no healthcare plan, because he hasn’t found a good way to tell the American people “we want you to die horribly, and bankrupt, once your money runs out.”

It’s a shameless attempt at attracting low information voters. Everything the GOP does is a reflection of how dismal their view of the American public is.

————

As far as recent polling, pretty strong indication that lots of Obama-Trump voters are exiting MAGA buffoonery. 

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

If by "in a vacuum" you mean completely disregard everything Trump has done, said, threatened to do, or is in the process of doing and only focus on a sentence or two that Repubs are saying now...and compare to only a sentence or two that Dems were saying 4 years ago...then yeah, she has a bit of a point.

I do believe that’s exactly what “in a vacuum” means

If I was Biden/Harris, I would be making an effort to turn the police brutality issue into something that effects everyone.  Now, of course to rational thinking people, anyone being abused, beaten up, and/or killed by the police should be a problem everyone is concerned about regardless of who it is happening to, but I really think there is an untapped potential base out there if you start saying something like "while being black certainly increases your chances to be a victim of this, it isnt only happening to black folks unjustifiably, it is also happening to brown folks, and white folks, this is an issue that effects every neighborhood and city"   Which is technically true.

2 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Such as...?

I have no idea if it could work or how much a difference it would make, but what about awarding electoral college votes to the candidate based on the percentage of the popular vote they win in each state?  

12 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Let’s ****ing goooooooooo!!!!!

These new executive orders are just bogus trash trying to sway some of the elderly he’s lost because of covid. Seems desperate. I smell weakness.

Everything Trump is doing now makes complete sense when viewed through the prism of him knowing he's losing. He's desperate and flailing. 

3 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

If I was Biden/Harris, I would be making an effort to turn the police brutality issue into something that effects everyone.  Now, of course to rational thinking people, anyone being abused, beaten up, and/or killed by the police should be a problem everyone is concerned about regardless of who it is happening to, but I really think there is an untapped potential base out there if you start saying something like "while being black certainly increases your chances to be a victim of this, it isnt only happening to black folks unjustifiably, it is also happening to brown folks, and white folks, this is an issue that effects every neighborhood and city"   Which is technically true.

I have no idea if it could work or how much a difference it would make, but what about awarding electoral college votes to the candidate based on the percentage of the popular vote they win in each state?  

^that would have to be universally adopted among states. Unfortunately right now some Republicans are arguing it should be awarded by Congressional district result, which they have gerrymandered to hell. Popular vote is the only solution that isn’t subject to abuse. 

1 hour ago, Dan T. said:

Aside from a very few outliers, "Dem" elected officials were not declaring him "not a legitimate president." That's convenient revisionist history.

That’s not how I remember it. 

it stuck out to me at the time cause the republicans did the same thing to Obama. Twice I believe. And I had a problem with it then. And I had a problem with it in 2016. And I have a problem with it now. 

if you don’t actually have proof that the election is fraudulent, and you’re a public official, and you’re running around declaring the election is fraudulent without proof, then you’re a despicable person playing the worst of partisan politics. 

calling into question the legitimacy of the election process without proof is absolutely despicable. And you all know it because you said the same things about trump for doing it prior to the 2016 election. And you’ve said the same things about him saying this election is rigged too. And you’ve said it about the politicians/groups that have pushed any number of bogus law changes, for filings claiming fraud they have no evidence exists. 

I specifically recall referring to John Lewis doing it as scum when he went on tv shows claiming he was not a legitimate president right after the election. Trythebeal wasn’t happy with me

(I don’t consider the Russians successfully trolling a portion of our stupid people as legitimate election fraud)

edit: maybe I’m misremembering but I do recall quite an outcry from the left using numerous phrases to suggest the election was fraudulent/rigged/illegitimate/etc

Edit2: if I’m misremembering then it doesn’t necessarily matter. If the quotes from here about those Dems this year are accurate, and a couple did it last time, then the point stands - in a vacuum she has a point. Don’t go around declaring our election process fraudulent without proof. The concept of holding yourself to the same standards you hold others isn’t difficult (yet so many fail at it)

20 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Such as...?

Trying to be short with it because I don’t want to derail:

there are problems with the Ec that can be fixed. I’m open to all of them. 

you can’t fix the problems with the popular votes and in my view the problems with the popular vote far outweigh the problems of a legitimate EC system. 

changing it so that a small subset of areas are all that matters because of population density, and that their problems/desires aren’t like the rest of the country, is an awful idea. 

but the EC has problems of its own that do need to be addressed. And I personally have signed numerous petitions i my state to help address some of them. 

I think in the early days of the Trump admin there might have been some Dem elected officials saying he was illegitimately elected, but it led to actual investigations to see how it went down. It wasn't just hot air bloviating with no substance to it.  What the Trump admin & DOJ are now doing in unison are just making things up in order to delegitimize results that are very likely going to be perfectly "free & fair" as was put at the presser.  They are planting the seeds to justify contesting the results, it is Trump's pattern for his entire Presidency, the only thing that ever matters is "because Trump said so" and then everyone around him has to come up with some way to craft their talking points to match that insane nonsense he says.   The DOJ just happening to release a couple anecdotal incidents right after the FBI head said there is no evidence of mass attempts at mail-in voter fraud was 100% strategic so that it could be brought up at the presser and likely blown all over the right-wing media airwaves for the next week or so.

Brief google search says Hillary Clinton and jimmy carter have and are still making claims of Trump being an illegitimate president. 

that’s about the extent I’m willing to put into this. Ultimately I’m on your all’s side. I just find it funny some people take issue with Trump declaring the election is rigged, but when some Dems start issuing statements about this election being fraudulent if he wins you don’t seem to give a ****. 

I think attacking the legitimacy of the election process without proof sews distrust and social outrage and makes already scary times scarier. It’s dangerous.

1 minute ago, tshile said:

Brief google search says Hillary Clinton and jimmy carter have and are still making claims of Trump being an illegitimate president. 

Hillary Clinton, I'll give you.  Jimmy Carter.......why are people even asking him at this point?  Leave the man alone while he builds homes for habitat for humanity. 

Archived