Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nationwide Removal of Confederate Statues

No Excuses

When looking at it...the paths of the 2017 and 2024 solar eclipses kinda look like the confederate flag when together. We should probably cancel them, just in case...

ASYSK1016_03.jpg

(...and just so there's no misunderstanding - I'm all for tearing down the statues, getting rid of that flag, etc.)

Edited by Skins24
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb down 1

• 1 month later...

Shenandoah County School Board votes to restore Confederate names to 2 schools

In front of a lively crowd and after a long meeting, the Shenandoah County School Board voted 5-1 early Friday morning to restore the names of two schools on the southern end of the county that had been named after Confederate generals. 

Voting “yes” to change Mountain View High School back to Stonewall Jackson High School and to change Honey Run Elementary School back to Ashby Lee Elementary School were Chairman Dennis Barlow, Brandi Rutz, Gloria Carlineo, Thomas Streett and Michael Rickard. Vice Chairman Kyle Gutshall was the lone "no" vote. 

The exact language of the motion that was approved was: “I move that the names of Stonewall Jackson High School and Ashby Lee Elementary School be restored to the schools now named Mountain View High School and Honey Run Elementary School respectively. The funds required to implement the restoration must be provided by private donations exclusively and not be borne by the school system or government tax funds, though the SCPS will oversee disbursements relating to restoration costs.”

https://www.nvdaily.com/nvdaily/shenandoah-county-school-board-votes-to-restore-confederate-names-to-2-schools/article_ed83aa54-093b-50fa-ae8c-a56340e77f09.html

• Thumb down 4

1 hour ago, Cooked Crack said:

The people on the school board and those who worked tirelessly to get them elected are so soft. Participation trophy generation in effect.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Posted (edited)

“I ask that when you cast your vote, you remember that Stonewall Jackson and others fighting on the side of the Confederacy in this area were intent on protecting the land, the buildings and the lives of those under attack,” said a woman urging the board to restore the Confederate names. “Preservation is the focus of those wishing to restore the names.”

Obviously this woman is a blinder-wearing freak. The Confederacy rightly ended in 1865. Yes, Stonewall Jackson was "intent on protecting the land, the buildings, and the lives of those under attack"...protecting rich slave-owners and their 'property' from the federal government of their own country. People forget to mention that it was a violation of the Constitution for a state to secede from the USA...not that it will prevent it happening again if this woman's ignorance is more widely-held than we believed.

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Schools in One Virginia County to Reinstate Confederate Names

After a meeting that lasted for hours, the Shenandoah County school board voted early Friday morning to restore the names of three Confederate officers to schools in the district.

With the vote, the district appears to be the first in the country to return Confederate names to schools that had removed them after the summer of 2020, according to researchers at the Montgomery, Ala.-based Equal Justice Initiative.

The vote rolled back a decision made four years ago, when the killing of George Floyd prompted nationwide demands for a racial reckoning. At a virtual meeting in July 2020, the summer of pandemic and protests, the board voted 5-1 to drop the names of two schools — Ashby-Lee Elementary and Stonewall Jackson High — that it deemed incompatible with a recently passed resolution condemning racism. The schools were renamed the next year as Honey Run and Mountain View.

But a fury had been unleashed in the rural county in the mountains of Virginia. People crowded into school board meetings, denouncing the naming process as secretive and rushed, and voicing deeper resentments about cultural changes they saw as being foisted upon them.

After a re-vote ended in a tie in 2022, the name changes stood. But opponents swore that Stonewall Jackson would be revived. And on Friday, he was.

Click on the link for the full article

• Thumb down 1

Posted (edited)

It seems cultural movements are like a pendulum...push too hard in one direction, and it only comes back harder in the opposite direction. While the goals were admirable in 2020, I do think some people pushed way too hard to certain changes to occur overnight, although I don't believe anything should be named after slave-owning secessionists in the 21st century. That pushing from the left also caused this team's name to be dropped and to be replaced with a mediocre name and image which inspires no one.

I'm fearing that this country is becoming more like the Balkans.

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen

6 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

While the goals were admirable in 2020, I do think some people pushed way too hard to certain changes to occur overnight ....

Just pointing out, the Civil War was 150 years ago. (And they fere fighting against the US, even then.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What a bunch of crap.

This thread bump piqued my interest because I was looking for some reading for the airplane and happened on W.E.B Dubois "The Soul of Black Folk" in 1903.  Holy crap - what would he be thinking now (probably "people still trying to create two worlds for black folk in America").  

**** anyone who glorifies the old racist institutions.

It was gutting for me to read that he felt more comfortable in Europe.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I wish we could fix some of the demographic populations of the former states of the confederacy.

I chose the word "fix" so imaginations could run wild with creativity.🤓👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

It seems cultural movements are like a pendulum...push too hard in one direction, and it only comes back harder in the opposite direction.

Should we be afraid to do the right thing because of potential backlash?

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

No, but real lasting change takes time. Sometimes left-wingers want to ram changes through at a very fast pace, and not everyone is on board with rapid change. But a slow, gradual strategy doesn't seem to be an option in the age of social media and instant gratification.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

I wish we could fix some of the demographic populations of the former states of the confederacy.

I chose the word "fix" so imaginations could run wild with creativity.🤓👍

Isn't that what the brain worms are for?

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

No.

And when the time comes we think we're "done" in such momentous ventures as emancipation of a slave population and preserving our democracy by crushing a racist, traitorous, sickly-religious, murderous collection of hateful ignorant meat sacks, we need to regroup and re-engage with double the ferocity.

But that may just be me being grumpy again.

I'll revisit the question after I have my Farina. The attendant says we get chocolate flavor today!!! 👍🤓

• Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

If a majority of people disagree with a decision and overrule it, then is it clear that it was the right thing to do? It's possible that, at least in that community, rushing to rename every school and remove every statue was *not* the right thing to do or there wouldn't be so much backlash. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumb down 2

Just now, TD_washingtonredskins said:

If a majority of people disagree with a decision and overrule it, then is it clear that it was the right thing to do? It's possible that, at least in that community, rushing to rename every school and remove every statue was *not* the right thing to do or there wouldn't be so much backlash. 

Of course. Gotta allow the wishes of ignorant racist morons to manifest in continuing the glorification of the pile of feces that was the confederacy.👍

Good thing they have a reasonable  thoughtful  spokesman among the lost souls of this hellacious forumscape. 😎

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Jumbo said:

Of course. Gotta allow the wishes of ignorant racist morons to manifest in continuing the glorification of the pile of feces that was the confederacy.👍

Good thing they have a reasonable  thoughtful  spokesman among the lost souls of this hellacious forumscape. 😎

OK. I just don't think everything is always that cut and dry. I don't believe that you can always draw a direct line from "wanting to keep names of schools and streets" to "support every ideal held by the individual" 

Otherwise, we better just rename every city and take down every statue...

• Haha 2
  • Thumb down 1

34 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

No, but real lasting change takes time. Sometimes left-wingers want to ram changes through at a very fast pace, and not everyone is on board with rapid change. But a slow, gradual strategy doesn't seem to be an option in the age of social media and instant gratification.

Lol how long the neo Confederates need ya think? Another 150 years? 🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

The "reasonable thoughtful enabler of evil" is as much the problem.*

(*Holocaust survivors.)

It's a relevant and rational claim in the larger sense with this matter.

Well mannered politeness while (hypocritically) expressing supportive "philosophical" (lmao)  considerations that enable vile actions are a problem.

The attempt to "pretty up" something vile via contortionist rationalization is intellectually and morally bankrupt.

It's like layering mascara on a melania and claiming you're bringing beauty into the world.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

36 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Since when did the mob determine what justice is?

• Thumb up 1

Weren't Stonewall Jackson and Lee heros for the Union cause? Their wasteful loss of troops and military resources helped ensure a Union victory. Someone who had a basic understanding of military strategy would understand that it was a war of attrition and the Union had more to waste.

Maybe if we portrayed history more accurately the losers would be less inclined to put Jackson and Lee's names on all the buildings.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

It's always fun to be reminded that every topic is completely black and white in here. It really is exhausting sometimes. Sorry to rock the boat. 

You don't rock the boat. That's laughably pretentious on your part. As is your other allegation. 

You just embarrass yourself with most of your posts. And it has zero to do with "right" or "left."

It has to do with the large number of very. critical adjectives that can accurately be attributed to a majority of your comments.

And since you want to gratuitously insult the forum at large one more time, make sure you remember no one is forcing you. 😉

If you need to be cut off for your own peace of mind but can't stop yourself, let a mod know you need help. 👍

We like a wide range of intelligent debate, including dissention with any "majority view" here, in any discussion.

You routinely offer drivel-laden drive-bys followed with frequent whininess when you get absolutely appropriate feedback.

• Haha 1
  • Thumb down 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

51 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

every topic is completely black and white in here

Interesting choice of phrase.

POINT: Enslaving black people is bad and the white people who fought their countrymen to continue this abomination should not be honored on our publically funded buildings.

COUNTERPOINT: The argument is NOT black and white but so nuanced only a local person could understand it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1