Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins at Ratbirds GAME DAY THREAD

TK

Just now, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

You sure?  Maybe you showed up late but there's lots of wadded up panties in here. :)

It seems to me most of it is about how unaware the team seems to be about how poorly they play

I might be just seeing things that way though. I tend to do that

29 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

He wasn't bad in preseason games.  He just didn't care about winning them.  

But his team's were always prepared for the season.

Not entirely true. Gibbs team were bad in preseason and also had a bit of a trend of slow starts. Not necessarily always week one, but over the first quarter or so of the season. His teams generally gained steam and finished strong. 

8 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Let's see what happens next week.  I'd assume that they'll come out at home with a little more energy.  Also, starters will play more.  

Defense better get its **** together or Rodgers will make film study the next several days very painful.

This team couldn't come out with energy for a week 16 game at home against an NFC East rival for a playoff spot but I hope you're right 

I mean, the offense sucked and I'm very concerned, but I'm not worried about Gruden's actual ability to call the plays. That's taking it a step too far imo. He's proven in that regard and it didn't just go away. Our issues on offense are more micro than macro. The OL and running game was a disaster overall, but I'm not going crazy over the playcalling yet. The thing with playcalling in the preseason is that they aren't trying to exploit the other team's defense or run any type of game script...they're trying out different concepts and doing specific things to get plays/players on tape that they need to evaluate. Its not just vanilla, its almost completely out of the context of whatever the defense is doing, unlike a real game of football.

So to me its not the playcalling that should be questioned right now--we aren't privy to what the coaching staff's goals were going into today, what they needed to get on tape. The play selection didn't really matter--it was the execution that consistently concerned me. That's what matters in preseason. 

• TK unpinned this topic
3 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

The play selection didn't really matter--it was the execution that consistently concerned me. That's what matters in preseason. 

I'd go a step further and say that a unit's execution doesn't even matter in preseason, good or bad. Only thing that can be gained in preseason is seeing how individual players look, and even that can be tough since we don't know what calls are made. 

But, yeah... if you see a guy physically incapable of winning that's not a good sign. If you see otherwise it doesn't mean much either, because opponents can take him out of the game through game planning. That's when the surrounding talent and scheme comes into play.

But you want to see guys dominate against 2nd stringers and 3rd stringers. That's when you know you might have something with a guy. Lanier and Marley were those guys, me thinks. Maybe Grant and Davis on offense. Colt McCoy should be embarrassed, I'm sure he is. 

Last year I came away with one big thing from the preseason and that was our Dline was going to get killed, specifically in the running game. You could see them losing almost every one on one battle. They were just man handled. 

I went into this game uninterested in the offense and really wanting to see the defensive players, specifically the linemen (as indicated by my first post here, no one can claim I'm just saying that now, lol).

I can't bring myself to give a crap about our offensive ineptitude right now knowing what that side of the ball has accomplished, when it actually matters, for some time now. That's not going to change at all from the first preseason game, lol. But I was just glad to see our Dlinemen look good for the most part, no one seemed physically incapable. And Anderson is a total gamer. 

The young secondary players disappointed, though. Thought they'd show better. Those were some bad individual performances. But they're young. We'll see as time goes on throughout the preseason. 

Archived