Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Atlantic: The Most Common Error in Media Coverage of the Google Memo

Destino

On 8/12/2017 at 10:20 AM, s0crates said:

Or do you mean to tell me that biology is not a factor at all?

I have already said that men and women are different due to natural biology, which might result in differences is some career fields, and there is just no evidence that those differences are a significant driving force in the stem gap in the US and there is a lot of evidence for other things.

• 1 month later...

The interesting thing is, he's clearly not an idiot. I think he's the kind of person who is so convinced of (and so dependent on as a part of his identity) his powerful intellect he assumes he has hit on some clever insights that others are unable or unwilling to see. 

The problem is he's wrong. 

Fun fact: My brother works at Google, although in a different department. When the original post came out, my brother was like, "James Damore...I'm sure I know that guy..."

Turns out my brother bought some used board games off of him at some point a few weeks before the rant. 

5 hours ago, dfitzo53 said:

The interesting thing is, he's clearly not an idiot. I think he's the kind of person who is so convinced of (and so dependent on as a part of his identity) his powerful intellect he assumes he has hit on some clever insights that others are unable or unwilling to see. 

That makes him a idiot in the real world. Until you understand that you dont know everything you dont really know anything. 

On 8/13/2017 at 1:26 PM, LadySkinsFan said:

Women used to dominate in tech fields until men pushed them out. 

Admiral Grace Hopper and the women showcased in Hidden Figures are examples.

http://thewisdomdaily.com/women-used-to-dominate-tech-until-men-pushed-them-out/

Gender is a scial construct, dont forget!

This entire argument seems pointless now, doesnt it?  Lets get half of tech workers to identify as women.  Voila

9 hours ago, Destino said:

While we're on the subject does anyone know why the KKK sounds like a racial terrorist LARP group?  I've never seen an explanation for why they call themselves knights and their leaders wizards and dragons.

Neil DeGrasse Tyson gives an explanation in a reply to the guy's Twitter post. Supposedly it was specifically so that people wouldn't take them seriously. I'm not 100% sure of the evidence for that. 

2 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

Part of it but the add generation as poker implies can't read all that. 

It doesn't matter though.did you see his tweets about grand wizards? Google made the right call firing him. He's a dolt. 

what did you think was the most egregious part (of both the tweets and the memo)?

2 hours ago, dfitzo53 said:

Neil DeGrasse Tyson gives an explanation in a reply to the guy's Twitter post. Supposedly it was specifically so that people wouldn't take them seriously. I'm not 100% sure of the evidence for that. 

If they didn't want to be taken seriously, why did they go around terrorizing people, burning their houses/churches, hanging them? 

That excuse seems weak.

2 hours ago, grego said:

what did you think was the most egregious part (of both the tweets and the memo)?

Well I think making references to Grand Wizards and the Klan is quite offensive, don't you think? Listen, I'm a guy who's very tolerant. I listen to a lot of ****. I listen to a podcast which is as vulgar as can be. But this guy is going too far. Are you one of those people who thinks he has a right to just offend everyone and everything just because he can? What he's saying is just pure garbage and indefensible. 

Oh, just for reference sake so you can see with your own eyes what everyone else is so pissed off about...

james-damore-tweet.jpg

FYI I can't link the tweet because it got deleted. There it is. 

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

Well I think making references to Grand Wizards and the Klan is quite offensive, don't you think? Listen, I'm a guy who's very tolerant. I listen to a lot of ****. I listen to a podcast which is as vulgar as can be. But this guy is going too far. Are you one of those people who thinks he has a right to just offend everyone and everything just because he can? What he's saying is just pure garbage and indefensible. 

Oh, just for reference sake so you can see with your own eyes what everyone else is so pissed off about...

FYI I can't link the tweet because it got deleted. There it is. 

assuming he thinks the klan is horrible and that he doesnt support them in any way (a good assumption), i suspect that he thinks 'grand wizard' and 'dragon' are cool names, despite the fact that they are used by the kkk (rather than 'because of' that fact).

that seems pretty clear to me. 

i would actually expect more confusion over the “you can’t criticize its heroes or acknowledge any positive aspect of its villains.” tweet, as hes saying 'positive aspects' when it comes to the klan. the positive aspects hes referring to, of course, are the names that he thinks are cool, not anything related to beliefs that they hold, being that hes made his feelings about the klan clear, but i still would not have worded that sentence that way.

Archived