Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Have A lot Of Linebackers. Who Do We Keep?

RawRebel

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

We also love giving young players time to turn their potential into production before dismissing what they can do. Or at least I do.

No, we love acting like the PS hopefuls like Chase Minfield or Kieth Marshall will somehow be our saviors, but when it takes a LB 3 years to hit stride (Murphy), he generally gets labelled a bum at first or a G/C isn't a probowler out of the gate (Long), he is constantly considered a hole.

You may have the patience. I try to as well. I'm high on Everette for instance, but most folks around this joint are high on guys who will never play and harsh af on the guys who do.

24 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

No, we love acting like the PS hopefuls like Chase Minfield or Kieth Marshall will somehow be our saviors, but when it takes a LB 3 years to hit stride (Murphy), he generally gets labelled a bum at first or a G/C isn't a probowler out of the gate (Long), he is constantly considered a hole.

You may have the patience. I try to as well. I'm high on Everette for instance, but most folks around this joint are high on guys who will never play and harsh af on the guys who do.

Isn't that somewhat what you were doing with Smith, though? lol...This whole discussion started because I said he showed promise his rookie season and hoped he'd start delivering on it. That was only two years ago...

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

Isn't that somewhat what you were doing with Smith, though? lol...This whole discussion started because I said he showed promise his rookie season and hoped he'd start delivering on it. That was only two years ago...

No, I said it was a few games not a season. He could develop into a better player, but he's been more of a liability in almost every game, except that small string of games. Here's to hoping he improves.

8 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

No, I said it was a few games not a season. He could develop into a better player, but he's been more of a liability in almost every game, except that small string of games. Here's to hoping he improves.

Again, that's why I said "promise" lol...by definition it conveys that the player isn't consistently good enough yet, but has shown what he could bring week in and week out. Kinda like I said "He showed what he could be in several games. Hope he starts doing it for an entire season.", and you said "Yeah, but it was several games, not an entire season" lol...leaves me saying "Um...yeah, I just said that." Not sure if you were agreeing with me or disagreeing with me :ols:...

59 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Again, that's why I said "promise" lol...by definition it conveys that the player isn't consistently good enough yet, but has shown what he could bring week in and week out. Kinda like I said "He showed what he could be in several games. Hope he starts doing it for an entire season.", and you said "Yeah, but it was several games, not an entire season" lol...leaves me saying "Um...yeah, I just said that." Not sure if you were agreeing with me or disagreeing with me :ols:...

Oh okay, I got you now. Yes, every player to ever have a short set of good games is full of promise that we are waiting patiently for.

I guess when you said that he showed all the promise during his rookie year, you meant that he looked good for his rookie year, which he didn't. He looked pretty bad actually, except for a short stretch when he got a bunch of sacks. But sure. Same exact thing.

34 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Oh okay, I got you now. Yes, every player to ever have a short set of good games is full of promise that we are waiting patiently for.

I guess when you said that he showed all the promise during his rookie year, you meant that he looked good for his rookie year, which he didn't. He looked pretty bad actually, except for a short stretch when he got a bunch of sacks. But sure. Same exact thing.

You must be one who bases how well a LB plays on how many sacks he gets. Got it.

Unless he's just a lazy asshole, it would mean a failure on the part of this coaching staff if he's cut after two years and a training camp, period. Hes got too many tools to be that bad unless someone isn't getting it out of him, and I just don't see that happening. Like we're stacked in the front 7 all of a sudden lol.

1 hour ago, Reaper Skins said:

No chance in hell Preston Smith gets cut

How many outside backers do the Redskins keep?  I think they just had 4 last year. (Kerrigan Murphy, Smith and Bates) I could be missing someone.  Please correct me if I am. But out of these 6, which 4 are ultimately on the team? (Galette, Kerrigan, Murphy, Anderson, Smith, Trail)  I like Smith.  I think he has the physical tools to be dominant.  I am simply looking at a numbers game.  They could keep 5, I guess, but I would not be surprised if he is not on the roster week 5.

8 hours ago, Califan007 said:

You must be one who bases how well a LB plays on how many sacks he gets. Got it.

I seriously have no idea how you'd get that from my posts. I can only assume you're attempting to create some kind of stance that you've won or something. It's pretty annoying honestly.

7 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Unless he's just a lazy asshole, it would mean a failure on the part of this coaching staff if he's cut after two years and a training camp, period. Hes got too many tools to be that bad unless someone isn't getting it out of him, and I just don't see that happening. Like we're stacked in the front 7 all of a sudden lol.

Yeah, absolutely no way that happens. I always felt he might be the better candidate to bulk up for the line than Murphy. Gruden said he was going to try him some more inside.

6 hours ago, returnofthefunbunch said:

How many outside backers do the Redskins keep?  I think they just had 4 last year. (Kerrigan Murphy, Smith and Bates) I could be missing someone.  Please correct me if I am. But out of these 6, which 4 are ultimately on the team? (Galette, Kerrigan, Murphy, Anderson, Smith, Trail)  I like Smith.  I think he has the physical tools to be dominant.  I am simply looking at a numbers game.  They could keep 5, I guess, but I would not be surprised if he is not on the roster week 5.

Remember Murphy doesn't count for the first 4 weeks, because he'll be suspended.

12 hours ago, returnofthefunbunch said:

You forgot to include Ryan Anderson who is automatically going to be on the roster. Smith , Trail or both will be the odd man out.

Trying to google typical player count by position for a 3-4 is failing. It appears we went with 9 to start last year, but its gray with Trent moving around and maybe even with Cravens counted as a LB. The obvious ones are easy. It's the bubble guy and position count that is the hard part.  With Murphy suspended, we may also need a game 1 and game 5 projection, but since we went with 9 last year, I will do week 1 @ 8 to save a spot for Trent.

Inside, do we know who is Mike, and who is Ted.  I would like to think Zach Brown is our new Mike, but the team was SO high on Compton last year, I don't expect that to change anytime soon.  Since the hybrid 3-4 is all about players in different roles even if it's not to their strength, I bet we end up starting Brown at Ted since he is heavier and Compton remains at Mike, but not sure for how long.

Week 1 I predict 4 Out 4 In with 6DL.  Galette, RyanK, Preston, Ryan. Brown Compton Foster and Trail. 2 Mikes 2 Teds.  

Week 5 Trent comes back, but it's unknown who gets cut to make room. Cross that bridge when we get there. Maybe those 4 games will be all about a verdict on Preston.

DL for kicks and since our OLBs are DL on most downs: Allen, Matt IO, Taylor, mBU, McClain and McGee.  Where is McGee projected at 341 pounds?  We need a DL thread. Maybe we go with 7DL until Trent gets back.

While there are always question marks with new players, rookies or a guy coming off two years of injury I'll take my chances on Galette, Brown and Anderson being serious upgrades over the LBs we had last year.  I see those three plus RK and Compton being locks.  Foster or Murphy for the last spot, Speight and the rest are vulnerable. 

26 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I don't think anything masks D-line deficiencies.  I think it works the other way around.  If they can't shore the DL up, won't matter who plays LB. 

Haven't heard a lick of positive news about our $9M/yr DL acquisitions, McGee and McClain... Still early, but many of us were down on the pickups from the start. If both aren't clear-cut starters then it's more poorly spent cap space and we can add them to the "told ya so Bruce" list.

21 hours ago, Reaper Skins said:

No chance in hell Preston Smith gets cut

2nd round pick with two seasons left on his rookie contract and a decent stat line. He's no cut, he could fetch something in a trade. 

36 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I don't think anything masks D-line deficiencies.  I think it works the other way around.  If they can't shore the DL up, won't matter who plays LB. 

It would help if we had two LBs playing football; if Compton is on the field then we will have problems at ILB again. We all know the pff scores by now, mid-80s for both Brown and Foster, I believe 40s or something disturbing for Compton. My pre-school quality breakdown is below, the point being that as long as Compton is on the field, we're doing the whole defense a disservice. 

Brown- great vs pass, decent vs run

Foster- decent vs pass, good vs run

Compton- bad vs pass, terrible vs run

22 minutes ago, CTskin said:

It would help if we had two LBs playing football; if Compton is on the field then we will have problems at ILB again. We all know the pff scores by now, mid-80s for both Brown and Foster, I believe 40s or something disturbing for Compton. My pre-school quality breakdown is below, the point being that as long as Compton is on the field, we're doing the whole defense a disservice. 

Brown- great vs pass, decent vs run

Foster- decent vs pass, good vs run

Compton- bad vs pass, terrible vs run

I think most of us agree that Brown and Foster should be the starting ILBs, but that Compton was getting deference because he was the only on that had called a defense.  

My question is, why not teach Brown or Foster to do it?   Probably Foster since he already knows the gist of the defense, assuming Manusky isnt changing much.  

But the second question is, who would call the defense if Compton went down? Why are we stuck with Compton in this spot?

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

I think most of us agree that Brown and Foster should be the starting ILBs, but that Compton was getting deference because he was the only on that had called a defense.  

My question is, why not teach Brown or Foster to do it?   Probably Foster since he already knows the gist of the defense, assuming Manusky isnt changing much.  

But the second question is, who would call the defense if Compton went down? Why are we stuck with Compton in this spot?

I have no idea what's going to happen to the ILBs, but Foster was clearly better than Compton last season and Brown is clearly better than  Foster. Compton costs nothing, Brown isn't getting paid to sit around. I think we're putting too much into the "calling plays" thing also, because Brown said they switched it up back and forth whenever in Buffalo and Foster has done it plenty himself.

On 8/1/2017 at 1:27 PM, returnofthefunbunch said:

Watch out for Chris Carter as well.  I really wouldn't be surprised to see Preston Smith cut after Murphy gets back from suspension. Ryan Anderson plays that role, and I think he will be much better.  (Assuming everyone stays healthy)  I hope he comes along and becomes more productive and consistent.  I'm just not sure it's going to happen.  I am curious to see Zach Brown in a game situation as well. 

Waaa? Cut our 2nd round pick after only 2 seasons lol

1 minute ago, justice98 said:

I wonder the same thing. Apparently, both Foster and Brown have some experience calling plays. But I heard from someone who heard from someone (so I question the reliability of the info) that Brown said he'd prefer not to call plays. 

I didn't play fball at any higher level than high school, so I'm sure I'm missing something about playcalling, but I just can't comprehend how Compton's ability to call out a play that's been phoned in by the coach outweighs his lack of football talent. Sure, he has to make sure everyone's aligned correctly, but given how bad we were last year, I just don't see the value.

On 8/1/2017 at 0:57 PM, Riggo'sRangers said:

Lynden Trail is an interesting story.  Here is an article I dug up from SI. Hail

https://www.si.com/2015/02/25/lynden-trail-nfl-draft

Thanks for sharing this - I'm rooting for him after reading that! Sounds like he needs some polishing, but if he worked out that would provide more DE/OLB versatility.

1 hour ago, returnofthefunbunch said:

Just curious.  Assuming there will be 8 lb's on the team, who do you think the 8 will be week 5 when Murphy returns?  Or, do we keep 9?

I think they will find a way to make it work. I do not think they are cutting Preston Smith. 

Numbers game is always so tricky to figure out, and I think it's even harder this year with so much quality (and/or potential quality) depth.  

Defense could keep 26 - 10 dbs, 10 linebackers and 6 DL, for example.  Or 24 (9/9/6?).  Will be interesting.  

My locks and (competing for a spot) - lemme know who I missed

Corner - Norman, Breeland, Fuller, Moreau (Holsey, Dunbar, Phillips)

Safety - Swearinger, Cravens, Everett (Hall, Blackmon, Nicholson, Smithson)

ILB - Compton, Brown, Foster (Spaight, Marley, Harvey-Clemons)

OLB - Kerrigan, Anderson, Galette, Smith (Trail, Carter)*

DL - Allen, McClain, McGee (Lanier, Hood, Ioannidas, Mbu, Taylor, Francis)

* Murphy really throws a wrench in this group

QB - Cousins, McCoy, Sudfeld

RB - Kelley, Perine, Thompson (Jones, Brown, Hilliard)

WR - Pryor, Crowder, Doctson (Grant**, Harris**, Pascal, Quick, Davis, Hazel, Quick)

TE - Reed, Davis, Paul (Sprinkle, Carrier)

Oline - Williams, Long, Scherff, Moses (Lauvao**, Nsheke**, Roullier, Kouandijo, Kalis, Painter)

** - virtual locks, but its possible (though doubtful) things change by the start of the season because they have some fairly stiff competition 

Thats 33 locks, another 4 virtual locks... and leaves 13 spots available, not counting Murphy.  Assuming we keep at least 6 DL, 8 oline and 1 more safety, we're down to 7 spots.  So, almost all the guys in parentheses fighting for 7 spots at every position group except for qb (and maybe DL).  Man...

sorry for the long, pointless post... behind on my quota though

Archived