Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Have A lot Of Linebackers. Who Do We Keep?

RawRebel

@DC Lumber Co. Great post. I am thrilled to hear I was misinformed - I thought that Brown was a mike. To me then its almost a no brainer that no one should be expected to supplant Will Compton.  Who did we bring in for his competition... no one.

What may shape my view on Kerrigan of late, is watching him defend the run when unblocked. The back often just runs past him, as he runs to the QB.  I am too starting to wonder if that was a Barry failure.  Expecting and playing play action far too often, like i theorize how Barry had Compton playing most every down.

I assume our edge is LE. I have to think teams will not run at that freaking tank at 340.  It will be interesting to see how teams try to run at us. I wonder if it will be at Junior to help slow him down, like teams used to try to do to Dexter Manley.

23 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

@DC Lumber Co. Great post. I am thrilled to hear I was misinformed - I thought that Brown was a mike. To me then its almost a no brainer that no one should be expected to supplant Will Compton.  Who did we bring in for his competition... no one.

What may shape my view on Kerrigan of late, is watching him defend the run when unblocked. The back often just runs past him, as he runs to the QB.  I am too starting to wonder if that was a Barry failure.  Expecting and playing play action far too often, like i theorize how Barry had Compton playing most every down.

I assume our edge is LE. I have to think teams will not run at that freaking tank at 340.  It will be interesting to see how teams try to run at us. I wonder if it will be at Junior to help slow him down, like teams used to try to do to Dexter Manley.

Yeah I think the only hope to challenge Compton at Mike ILB would be Spaight developing or Foster (he has called defenses as a Mike in Tampa). I think Compton is going to get first crack at it though, might take him struggling a little bit before the other two are given the opportunity.

And let us all hope that everyone including Compton and Kerrigan improve under a better defensive coordinator that is harping on better communication across the board. 

Greg M. as our new D. coordinator has talked about being more aggressive on D. this year.  What do you think that means and will it help or hurt our effectiveness.  When I heard statements about Compton looking lost, I wonder it that was because he waited to see the play develop and that was the strategy that coaches intended; and that a change to a more aggressive D. that his play will be changed accordingly.  I'm thinking about the play of Preston Smith and about being more aggressive.  I guess what I am wondering is what will the effect of having Greg M. as the new D. coordinator (along with him saying he intends a more aggressive D.) have on the way our defense plays and specifically how our LBs carry out that more aggressive scheme?

It is standard modus operandi for every incoming DC on every team to say they want to be more aggressive. Normally it rings hollow. However, I do think this year, Compton will be unleashed. He cannot be any more flat footed and passive at the snap as he was last year. It may not work but we have to try IMO. 

Watch our opposition, all of them. Their insides are very aggressive presnap, showing A gap blitz, backing off, trying to confuse our OL, doing all they can, including reacting at the snap aggressively.

Aggressive for us as far as Compton was concerned, was showing nothing presnap, Compton 5+ yards off the LOS, and him delay blitz right into a waiting guard.

Archived