Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Emerging Technologies....They Might Have Cured Cancer

PleaseBlitz

On 10/23/2017 at 3:29 PM, PleaseBlitz said:

Telsa is selling solar panels and batteries in its Tysons Corner store.

https://www.tesla.com/powerwall

It would cost about $11,000 to put them on my house, most likely my HOA would not let me do it.  

If you do solar shingles, they will have no choice.  As long as the colors match existing colors, it is simply a roof replacement.  Not sure how the HOA would have any say.  Solar panels on the other hand...

From street view, the textured look seems like it would look like normal shingles:

image.jpeg.ef40f6bf69c9b9f53977cf6010bdb97f.jpeg

• Like 1

I met with Tesla rep last week about adding solar panels and 2 batteries.  Interesting stuff.  Looks like it would add about 20 dollars per month to my current power expense.  The advantage of having the batteries though may be worth it.  I'm also looking into our local solar co-op to get pricing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kilmer17 said:

I met with Tesla rep last week about adding solar panels and 2 batteries.  Interesting stuff.  Looks like it would add about 20 dollars per month to my current power expense.  The advantage of having the batteries though may be worth it.  I'm also looking into our local solar co-op to get pricing.

Depending on where you live, you could look into getting a PACE loan (Property Assessed Clean Energy) to finance the up front cost. 

https://news.energysage.com/what-is-pace-financing-for-home-solar-power/

6 hours ago, Kilmer17 said:

The govt subsides are pretty sweet as well.

It's a 30 percent tax credit (including the price of the batteries if you buy them altogether).  But the Tesla system is way more expensive.  

The advantages though are worth considering.

I asked if I could move the front of the waitlist for my Tesla3 if I bought a solar system.  Denied.

4 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

This Nintendo labo is the future man this switch can print and configure cardboard cutouts 

It can't print or configure cutouts.  You pay $70+ for a kit that comes with the cardboard cutouts, stickers, string and the software/game.  The assembly instructions for the cardboard cutouts are part of the software/game, basically shows you how to assemble while looking at your tablet.  Once assembled, you place your Switch tablet and joy con controllers where it calls for them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/23/technology/uber-self-driving-cars-arizona.html

Waymo, formerly the self-driving car project of Google, said that in tests on roads in California last year, its cars went an average of nearly 5,600 miles before the driver had to take control from the computer to steer out of trouble. As of March, Uber was struggling to meet its target of 13 miles per “intervention” in Arizona, according to 100 pages of company documents obtained by The New York Times and two people familiar with the company’s operations in the Phoenix area but not permitted to speak publicly about it.

Yet Uber’s test drivers were being asked to do more — going on solo runs when they had worked in pairs.

And there also was pressure to live up to a goal to offer a driverless car service by the end of the year and to impress top executives. Dara Khosrowshahi, Uber’s chief executive, was expected to visit Arizona in April, and leaders of the company’s development group in the Phoenix area wanted to give him a glitch-free ride in an autonomous car. Mr. Khosrowshahi’s trip was called “Milestone 1: Confidence” in the company documents.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/27/2018 at 7:26 PM, steve09ru said:

wonder how long before self driving cars are the norm

There will be geographical limitations/implementation.  For example, areas with sunnier weather will have them implemented sooner.  The main issue is keeping the sensors clean.  Imagine trying to keep the sensors clean from the salt and snow in the winter in the northeast.

For self-driving cars, car washes are a nightmare

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/27/2018 at 10:40 PM, Renegade7 said:

Everytime I see this thread get bumped, I hope it has something to do with Fusion Power.

"Fusion power is coming in the next 50 years."

Unfortunately they started saying this in the 1950s.

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 3:29 PM, PleaseBlitz said:

It would cost about $11,000 to put them on my house, most likely my HOA would not let me do it.

I thought I read somewhere that Solar Panels are like Satellite dishes in that HOAs  have little power if the installer says its gotta go in this spot for the best performance.

By acting as a traffic cop at the network level, rather than in a browser, Pi-hole can cut off the nested bidding and tracking processes from the start. It takes on the role of your network’s Domain Name Server (DNS), meaning it translates IP addresses into URLs and vice versa. So if a website tries to contact what the Pi-hole knows to be an ad server, “it sends a request to the Pi-hole for the ad, and the Pi-hole is like, ‘Hah, I’m just going to return an empty page to you,’ and the ad server is never contacted,” Drobnak says. In the ad slots, the user typically sees blank white rectangles.

Installing Pi-hole took me about an hour with the help of a friend who’d done it before, and much of that time was spent setting up my new Raspberry Pi. The Pi-hole can run on any computer, but in general you probably want it to be a cheap model that can be left powered on and online. Even the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+, the most full-figured Pi, ships naked and blank: no case, no operating system, no apps, just a single green circuit board with components and ports sticking out of it. Spring for a case if you like, plug in a monitor and keyboard, and install an operating system. Then it’s simply a matter of connecting the Pi to the internet, installing the Pi-hole software with a single line of code (curl -sSL https://install.pi-hole.net | bash), and setting it as the DNS server for the network. In case of trouble, Pi-hole fans tend to respond promptly to questions on their forums.

Turn the Pi-hole off after you get used to it, and you find your brain engaging more with the ads than it used to because it’s forgotten how to glance past them. Were they always so garish? Who needs that many razors a month? And why would anyone set a video to autoplay with sound?

19 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

You been keeping up with where we're at with that?

I still follow it and while the physics has been quite well understood for many decades now, the only solutions we have come up with to date rely on incredibly complex engineering.

Fusion demo reactors conceived today take enormous investment (and there is no promise that future ones will get smaller) and then you will be left with a gargantuan radioactive waste disposal problem as the easiest fusion reaction (and the only one currently being considered) involves Deuterium - Tritium. The D-T reaction releases excess energy predominantly in the form of a high energy neutron, which is hard to capture and irradiates the entire structure.  

I think D-T fusion is fundamentally flawed and will not be viable for commercial power generation at any point. If we discover new physics that would allow a different fusion reaction to be viable, we'd have a better chance. Building multi-billion dollar sledge hammers for D-T isn't a commercial solution.

This article provides a decent non-technical overview.

https://thebulletin.org/iter-showcase-drawbacks-fusion-energy11512

Edited by Corcaigh
  • Like 4