Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Emerging Technologies....They Might Have Cured Cancer

PleaseBlitz

You know what's the greatest technology? Breakfast. Kudos to the man that invented breakfast. Kudos to Stephen Pasquale Breakfast.

I enjoy breakfast.... And hugs & dogs.... And football.

The greatest moment of my life was when the Redskins played in London and I got to eat breakfast while watching football, sitting on the couch & snuggling with my dogs. Of course the Redskins had to Redskin it up like they always do. Worst technology ever is the Redskins. 

• Haha 3

On 7/22/2017 at 4:58 PM, Diehard Otis said:

This news genuinely frightens me.

My sentiment is motivated by by the damaging ripple effect it will have on the domestic economy.  

If this project does indeed come to fruition and is put online, how many jobs will be permanently eliminated due to a more efficient mode of transportation (here in the most populous corridor of the country)?  And we're talking about quality, good paying, living wage jobs.  The kinds of jobs that people not only support their families with, but transportation is a field that many individuals build productive careers in.

Think about it.  

(For those of you that live in the Northeast) if you were to travel to New York tomorrow, how would you do it?  Would you fly?  Take a train?  A shuttle bus?  Hell...an Uber?  Well even if you drive, the very act of you travelling supports commerce and contributes to economic productivity.  Someone has been trained to fly that jet, or engineer that train, or drive that bus.  And besides, there are support jobs that must be competently filled in order to facilitate your journey.  There is a ripple effect.

Now say this hyperloop is an option.  Sure, not everyone travelling to NY will consider that option, but what happens if 15% of the market does?  How many jobs will be eroded by its existence?  Will that dip in tax receipts make a noticeable difference to the states and local governments along that route?  Or would it be more of a hidden cost?

Our shifting economy does have benefits.  Of course!  But there are tangible costs as well:
http://es.redskins.com/topic/414355-wp-disabled-and-disdained-plus-all-things-white-rural-america/
https://www.technologyreview.com/s/515926/how-technology-is-destroying-jobs/
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/11/21/the-real-reason-for-disappearing-jobs-isnt-trade-its-robots.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/21/upshot/the-long-term-jobs-killer-is-not-china-its-automation.html

Technology kills jobs.

This development, along with the country's changing demographics, and the structural fragility of the economy are the most critical issues of our lifetimes.

Think that's hyperbole?  Okay.  But how do you envision whole segments of our population behaving when there simply aren't enough jobs in our economy to employ folks at 2017 levels?  And to be clear here, I'm talking about people that not only want to work but participate as labor or management in our economy presently.  

I fear social dislocation.  Because the robots are coming.

Let me end with this: ever find yourself in the store ready to check out & you gravitate to the self-checkout line - because it's easier?

Think about that.

On 7/22/2017 at 6:00 PM, gbear said:

Don Quixote lives!  I like the spirit of worrying about the poor displaced, and yet we live with much more free time, more disposable income, and higher quality of life than any time in history. This is due to the march of history and increases in technology.  The march of tech allowed us to prove Malthus wrong. We need technology to continue to advance. I celebrate it while still worrying for the displaced.

On 7/23/2017 at 8:39 AM, twa said:

AI can replace most lawyers and govt workers soon.....I expect riots.

:kickcan:

On 7/22/2017 at 10:22 AM, No Excuses said:

We've needed a revolution in transportation for quite some time.

Although it's funny that he wants to build a system that transports NY to DC in 30 minutes. 

When last year I couldn't even get from my home in NE DC to work in NW DC using the metro in 30 minutes. 

From what I hear, NYC's MTA is in a complete meltdown right now as well.

Someone innovate public transportation in cities please.

Seriously. I went on a date last week with a girl who lives in DC.  I live in Columbia.  i got from columbia to POV in 45 mins, while it took the same from NW to PoV.

Unreal, that was one of the reasons why i wont see her again

Well, that's interesting. I posted the above by accident, hence none of my usual brilliant responses. :opus:

What I intended to say there, was that I can't wait for driverless cars and trucks. The former will save a lot of us, probably me included the expense of owning our own cars, along with a host of other benefits. Most likely, self-driving trucks will show up even sooner. Several of you alluded to societal upheaval. There are millions of OTR truck drivers in this country, most of whom live in so-called real 'Muricuh. Things won't go well for them. And while I have no problems with anything that makes things harder/worse for so-called real 'Muricuh, I think the real benefit of this and other automation that throws people out of work is the change to the idea of the Protestant work ethic that will almost certainly follow. There's nothing wrong with hard work. It's a good thing. However, I think we've made it our driving force to the point of fetishizing it. Every time someone tries to make any kind of policy change, it almost always devolves to "They took 'ur jerbs!!".  It's past time to re-examine how we value individuals in this country because right now, we get treated like Boxer in Animal Farm.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/28/2017 at 1:19 PM, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

The greatest moment of my life was when the Redskins played in London and I got to eat breakfast while watching football, sitting on the couch & snuggling with my dogs. Of course the Redskins had to Redskin it up like they always do. Worst technology ever is the Redskins. 

It worked fine until the Snyder patch was installed. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Another battery related article..........

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-41523653

Batteries/power storage (not necessarily the same thing) are THE bottleneck. We have developed a wide range of tech to generate electricity, PV, methane from waste, etc., but ultimately storing it is still an issue, it is use it or lose it. Lead acid batteries and their offspring are essentially ancient tech. The moment a new development occurs a million strands of use will spring from it, not just cars. Much the same way that the holy grail of cheap, easily produced room temp+ superconductors holds the promise of changing the world, new battery storage would be transformative in ways you can't even imagine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dr-gridlock/wp/2017/10/19/elon-musks-east-coast-hyperloop-will-launch-digging-in-maryland-state-and-company-say/?hpid=hp_local-news_hyperloop-820pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.b89906e0bccb

Elon Musk’s East Coast Hyperloop will launch digging in Maryland, state and company say

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan (R) – taking a cue from the big splash, low information PR strategy of Elon Musk – tweeted Thursday that Musk’s Boring Company is going to build a Hyperloop tunnel from Baltimore to Washington.

The Maryland Department of Transportation has given conditional approval to Musk’s firm to dig miles of tunnel under state roads to be used for the privately funded project, Hogan spokesman Doug Mayer said.

The digging will start near Fort Meade, in Anne Arundel County, Mayer said. About 10 miles of tunnel will be under the state-owned portion of MD 295, the Baltimore-Washington Parkway, he said.

8 hours ago, FanboyOf91 said:

This is gonna be the future in Florida. Hurricane Irma made that clear.

how did the solar panels and windmills fare in the hurricane?

Large solar panel array destroyed by Hurricanes Irma and Maria in St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands (a.abcnews.com)

I guess most people don't know that if your solar panels are connected to the grid and the grid goes down....ya got no power despite having intact solar panels.

Now if ya have a battery system ya do have power till that runs out.

Off grid means power, but no selling your excess.

Edited by twa

• 2 months later...