Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 NCAA Football Thread

ixcuincle

12 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

There is a 5-star recruit every ten or so years. And one or two four stars each year. They HAVE to get them.

It says a lot about WVU that people still talk about not landing Curt Warner. I don't think Randy Moss was ever actually an option.

Agreed. Not in the Nehlen offense. Had Randy come 10 years later, he would have been perfect for Rich Rod or even this current Air Raid. But yeah, ND and FSU are awfully appealing to WV kids. 

Personally, I think JR House would have been a solid QB at WVU had he not gone off to play Baseball first.

1 minute ago, The Evil Genius said:

Agreed. Not in the Nehlen offense. Had Randy come 10 years later, he would have been perfect for Rich Rod or even this current Air Raid. But yeah, ND and FSU are awfully appealing to WV kids. 

Personally, I think JR House would have been a solid QB at WVU had he not gone off to play Baseball first.

House would have been ok, I think. He would have been coming in under Nehlen then. I don't think that would have exactly played to his strengths.

I actually saw that state title game where he threw 9 or 10 or 11 touchdowns or whatever insanity it was. That's still one of the more amazing games I've ever seen at any level.

31 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Michigan should have gotten in over Washington last season, not Penn State.  Although I'm not sure they wouldn't have laid down and died against Alabama too.  We didn't need a playoff last season to determine that Alabama and Clemson were head and shoulders better than everyone else.

Speaking as a Penn State fan, I didn't have much of an issue with Washington getting in.  I think the fanbase was more annoyed about Ohio State getting in when Penn State beat them head to head, and won the Big Ten conference. Of course, Michigan losing to Ohio State had the three top teams in a triangle of sorts, and Michigan's loss to Iowa coupled with Penn State's loss to Pitt shot them both in the foot.

I guess to some, frustrated, but not angry because I can see why the decision was made, but I'll admit I was laughing my ass off watching Clemson boat race Ohio State.  I'm sure Penn State would have given them a better game, and the Rose against USC was a classic game, if lacking defense on either side.

The important thing now is hanging 50+ on Pitt and sending a message for last year.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Michigan should have gotten in over Washington last season, not Penn State.  Although I'm not sure they wouldn't have laid down and died against Alabama too.  We didn't need a playoff last season to determine that Alabama and Clemson were head and shoulders better than everyone else.

Sure we do. Always do, because it's sports. It's not figure skating either. 

In a potentially paradigm-shifting proposal, the NCAA members may vote to allow all Division-I transfers to be eligible to play immediately. The only potential restrictions are that student-athletes would be asked to meet a minimum GPA, in order to transfer immediately, and that any additional transfer would require the student-athletes to sit out a full year. The proposal, which is being solicited among members for feedback, is gaining increased traction in recent weeks, a source confirms.

28 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

In a potentially paradigm-shifting proposal, the NCAA members may vote to allow all Division-I transfers to be eligible to play immediately. The only potential restrictions are that student-athletes would be asked to meet a minimum GPA, in order to transfer immediately, and that any additional transfer would require the student-athletes to sit out a full year. The proposal, which is being solicited among members for feedback, is gaining increased traction in recent weeks, a source confirms.

sorry, I can't seem to edit out the tweet pic

But this is an awful proposal. The one-year thing is basically the only thing keeping players where they are. Passing this rule will exacerbate the have/have nots situation in CFB. Now every other team is a farm team for the Alabamas and Clemsons and Ohio States of the world. Coaches are going to have an awful time keeping talent. Awful idea.

2 hours ago, Elessar78 said:

But this is an awful proposal. The one-year thing is basically the only thing keeping players where they are. Passing this rule will exacerbate the have/have nots situation in CFB. Now every other team is a farm team for the Alabamas and Clemsons and Ohio States of the world. Coaches are going to have an awful time keeping talent. Awful idea.

I suppose on the flip side, Alabama's collection of five star talent sitting the bench behind other five star talent could disperse to places where they can actually play.  I could see it being a situation where the top schools have an elite starting 22 and almost no depth.

As an example, because I used to live in Woodbridge, one of Alabama's D-Line starters this season is a kid named Dashawn Hand, from Woodbridge high School.  He was a five star kid and I think rated in the top 10 players nationally.  Going to Alabama was not a surprise.  Of course, Alabama also has Jonathan Allen, Ashawn Robinson, and probably 10 other kids who were also highly rated.  Kid is seeing significant starting action for the first time this season, as a senior.

1 hour ago, Elessar78 said:

To me, it also feeds into the instant gratification culture. Make a commitment and honor it. The current system has an Out with a one year penalty. Not the worst thing. Basically another redshirt year.

That sounds nice but do the schools honor their commitments?

Kids are gently nudged out the door all the time.

No such thing as a commitment or loyalty.

1 hour ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

That sounds nice but do the schools honor their commitments?

Kids are gently nudged out the door all the time.

No such thing as a commitment or loyalty.

Perennial Top 15 programs, maybe. Which leaves about 115 teams that don't nudge players out because a better one comes along. 

In the scope of this thread, we're only looking at Football but I think this affects all sports. The non-revenue sports are going to be even more unwieldy with players moving, basically, at will.

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 8:39 AM, Elessar78 said:

This is a fantastic idea that is long overdue.

Why are these players indentured servants while the coaches can come and go as they please? Also, why is Nick Saban allowed to oversign and they take away the scholarship of a "disappointing" junior whenever there is a sexy new Freshman on campus.

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 11:09 AM, Elessar78 said:

To me, it also feeds into the instant gratification culture. Make a commitment and honor it. The current system has an Out with a one year penalty. Not the worst thing. Basically another redshirt year.

It's not a redshirt year. You lose the entire year of eligibility.

Make a commitment and honor it, kid. Just like the coaches do. Just like Tom Herman at U of H. I'm sure all those 4 and 5-star recruits he pulled in are just ****ing thrilled now about playing in front of 25,000 people against Rice.

18 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

It's not a redshirt year. You lose the entire year of eligibility.

Make a commitment and honor it, kid. Just like the coaches do. Just like Tom Herman at U of H. I'm sure all those 4 and 5-star recruits he pulled in are just ****ing thrilled now about playing in front of 25,000 people against Rice.

I don't think that's correct—player DOESN'T lose a year of eligiblility. Just has to sit out.

This affects all sports—not just football and basketball. There's a lot less shenanigans with non-revenue sports. Coaches come and go in those sports too... but the guidance is (from my experience talking with college coaches) that you pick the school not the coach, because you could get injured or the coach could leave. 

28 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

I don't think that's correct—player DOESN'T lose a year of eligiblility. Just has to sit out.

This affects all sports—not just football and basketball. There's a lot less shenanigans with non-revenue sports. Coaches come and go in those sports too... but the guidance is (from my experience talking with college coaches) that you pick the school not the coach, because you could get injured or the coach could leave. 

I love the fact that we only talk about non-revenue generating sports whenever we have to screw over the revenue-generating athletes.

The idea that the cross country team at Northwestern needs to follow the same rules as Florida State's football team is just endlessly amusing to me.

3 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

I can't help it that y'all have tunnel vision for football and basketball only. I'm non-revenue generating sport super fan #1

They are the ones getting screwed by the current system.

Here's my compromise:

1. Pay the players.

2. Allow transfers without the loss of eligibility only when the coach who accepted your letter of intent resigns or is fired.

Archived