Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 NCAA Football Thread

ixcuincle

17 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

An intense and relevant rivalry is always good for a program.  It's certainly better for recruiting than playing Michigan once in a blue moon.  Rivalry games make the season for teams who won't compete for a playoff berth.

I agree but from a VT perspective, there's no upside in playing WVU.

I'm looking at it from a recruiting perspective, not a competitive one.

I'm a Terp fan and the same applies as far as WVU is concerned.

They are struggling from a recruiting standpoint,,,and I want to keep it that way.

1 hour ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

I agree but from a VT perspective, there's no upside in playing WVU.

I'm looking at it from a recruiting perspective, not a competitive one.

I just can't agree.  VT needs multiple annual top 25 rivalry game match ups IMO.  More than it needs to worry about WVU recruiting Nova and the Tidewater.  UVA can't get its act together and Miami has had two good seasons and one bowl win since the Larry Coker era.  And even if they turn it around under Richt, one interesting game and potential quality win a regular season isn't enough.  For whatever reason a rivalry with Georgia Tech hasn't developed and they will forever be outsiders to the Carolina rivalries.  A quality WVU program under Holgerson is VT's best bet at a good annual non conference rivalry with geographic ties.

And I do think it helps VT's recruiting.  Any time you play and win on national TV helps recruiting.  Poll the players at the end of this season about which was their favorite game and I bet most will say the one where they got to win a trophy against an evenly matched rival at Fed Ex field on ABC.

8 hours ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

I agree. I just don't consider WVU to be that rival. Personally I  Iive for the game against Miami. That program was always border line dirty, had extreme swag and some of the biggest & most intense wins of the peak of the Beamer era were against Miami. When I was in school those were the games I circled 

You've lost your way somewhere. And gotten sawft. You want Tech to play a Baylor OOC schedule? Why? So you can be denied a big 4 bud when you win the ACC and lose a conference game yo GT?

And of course The U is dirty. On and off the field. But to me your rival is 1) UVA (in-state elitist snobs that you own) and 2) everyone else in your conference. WVU used to be your rival (whether you want to admit it or not) but since Tech went chicken**** 12 years ago and then bought their way out of getting their asses kicked every year in bball, these type of games are few and far between.

Edit..took the snide politics comment out. Peace brother SHF. ;)

8 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

You've lost your way somewhere. And gotten sawft. You want Tech to play a Baylor OOC schedule? Why? So you can be denied a big 4 bud when you win the ACC and lose a conference game yo GT?

And of course The U is dirty. On and off the field. But to me your rival is 1) UVA (in-state elitist snobs that you own) and 2) everyone else in your conference. WVU used to be your rival (whether you want to admit it or not) but since Tech went chicken**** 12 years ago and then bought their way out of getting their asses kicked every year in bball, these type of games are few and far between.

Edit..took the snide politics comment out. Peace brother SHF. ;)

Considering VT's dominance of WVU in football (10-3 in the last 13) you would think I would welcome the almost guaranteed win over a P5 school. I just don't think beating WVU does much and the downside of losing/giving WVU exposure in tidewater is too much

With the ACC title requiring a win over Clemson or FSU, I think the playoffs will take care of themselves if VT is in position to win the ACC with a 12-1 record. That is a long ways away so I am not going to worry about that scenario. 

If we are going to play other P5 schools, might as well stick to the Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan strategy the program has decided upon. Beating WVU doesn't add much compared to those matchups. 

Saw Michigan this weekend. They're supposedly back but I saw their starting QB pulled after throwing two pick-6s. 

Penn State beat up on Akron but they look like they got some weapons. 6'6" tight end is an endzone night mare. RB Saquon Barkley is Beast Mode Jr. 

10 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

Saw Michigan this weekend. They're supposedly back but I saw their starting QB pulled after throwing two pick-6s. 

Penn State beat up on Akron but they look like they got some weapons. 6'6" tight end is an endzone night mare. RB Saquon Barkley is Beast Mode Jr. 

Penn State has one definite (and a second potential) first rounder on the offensive side of the ball this year.  Barkley is arguably the best RB in college football right now and Gesicki has to be the odds on favorite for the Mackey award.

Barring a major hiccup, the Penn State - Ohio State game probably decides the conference champ.  No disrespect to Wisconsin/Nebraska/Iowa but the Big Ten East is clearly the more difficult half of the conference.

12 minutes ago, Forehead said:

Penn State has one definite (and a second potential) first rounder on the offensive side of the ball this year.  Barkley is arguably the best RB in college football right now and Gesicki has to be the odds on favorite for the Mackey award.

Barring a major hiccup, the Penn State - Ohio State game probably decides the conference champ.  No disrespect to Wisconsin/Nebraska/Iowa but the Big Ten East is clearly the more difficult half of the conference.

Gesicki and McSorley have been working on that back shoulder throw/catch. 

Penn State's offense looks explosive and they seem like the cream of the Big Ten after week one, but Akron was an absolute joke.  They're worse than a ton of FCS teams and their QB was trash.  He couldn't have started for Richmond and he was supposedly their best player.  None of their players could have gotten snaps for Penn State.  Can't draw but so many conclusions from such a mismatch.  The defense is still a question mark until they play a real offense, as far as I'm concerned.

That said, Michigan and Ohio State are sketchy too IMO.  There are no power houses in the Big 10 this year.  The conference looks good and deep though.  It has seven teams with a real shot at finishing in the top 25, and I bet five will end up doing it.  Perhaps someone will get on a roll and grow into that kind of team as the season progresses.  I think they get a team in the playoffs and that the Pac 12 is probably going to be the odd man out this year.

4 hours ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

Considering VT's dominance of WVU in football (10-3 in the last 13) you would think I would welcome the almost guaranteed win over a P5 school. I just don't think beating WVU does much and the downside of losing/giving WVU exposure in tidewater is too much

1) WVU doesn't recruit well in the Hampton Roads area (and really hasn't forever). They had minimal success with BMitch but he left for Tech a few years back. So it's no worry on that issue. WVU gets their mostly 3 and 4 star players from PA, OH, MD, Texas, and FL.

2) What's the downside to scheduling JMU and losing to them? Paying a 1-AA team to come to your place and then get embarrassed by them? You prefer that to having a competitive game on national TV during prime time that no other schools (save 2) are playing? Wow.

I don't know what to say man. I guess I just don't see the positive of playing patsies OOC every week. 

I also think teams are slowly moving away from scheduling cupcakes of the week OOC. The BCS has put a renewed emphasis on quality wins. One down year in your conference coupled with a one upset loss in that conference (but clean slate OOC) absolutely should raise concerns if your OOC schedule is say...Delaware, ECU, and ODU.

Like for example. WVU has the following scheduled.

2018 Tennessee, Youngstown St, NC State

2019 JMU, Missouri, NC State

2020 FSU, ECU, MD

22 hours ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

Looking at '21/'22 with Penn State and Michigan on the schedule, there isn't any purpose in playing WVU when a win adds nothing to recruiting and wins over Penn State & Michigan will end up looking better. 

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but Tech has those 2 schools in the same year only in 2020 (at least according to Hokie sports football schedules). It looks like the PSU game got moved to 2020 and 2025 (from 2022 and 2023).

TheOOC that VT faces (again, according to Hokie Sports) in 2021 and 2022 are:

2021 - Richmond, Michigan, WVU, Notre Dame

and

2023 - ODU, ECU, Liberty, WVU

I'd almost bet that 2021 game @Morgantown gets moved by Tech to 2023. Maybe not though since it's only 4 years away. Kudos to that year for them though. 

44 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

WVU doesn't really go into Hampton Roads much. WVU has to recruit in Florida or it can't compete. Florida, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey are always where they get their talent, because there is no recruiting base in state.

Although the legacy Stills  (4 star on Rivals) from Fairmont they just got the LOI from was nice. ;)

29 minutes ago, LeesburgSkinFan said:

I used to think having a strong OOC schedule mattered a great deal to the committee, but after last year I'm not so sure.  Washington got in after playing Rutgers, Idaho and Portland State.  They were ranked one spot ahead of Penn State, who played # 23 Pitt, Kent State and #24 Temple. 

They lost to Pitt though (and Michigan). UDub only had 1loss. In conference to #20 USC.

PSU had good wins against tOSU and Wisconsin. No doubt. UDub had good wins against 4 top 25 teams (Stanford, Utah, Washington State, and Colorado).

I'm sure it was a tough decision but that ugly loss to Pitt (who ended up with 3 ACC losses) didn't help. But I get the argument. However, if you aren't good enough to beat a mediocre P5 team OOC, do you really deserve a playoff bid?

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

Although the legacy Stills  (4 star on Rivals) from Fairmont they just got the LOI from was nice. ;)

There is a 5-star recruit every ten or so years. And one or two four stars each year. They HAVE to get them.

It says a lot about WVU that people still talk about not landing Curt Warner. I don't think Randy Moss was ever actually an option.

Archived