Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 NCAA Football Thread

ixcuincle

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The counterpoint to that is SEC QBs are trash and none of them can throw the ball.

And when these vaunted SEC defenses actually do play good quarterbacks, they get shredded like everyone else.

They can't all be UVA.

I thought it was a rivalry that had to be renewed and there were a lot of friendly Eers but there were also some clowns too. People were booing our bus and putting thumbs down hand signs at us as we were pulling into the lot on our big party bus. I was like thumbs up. Think positive! 

The game itself WVU could have won if they didn't commit so many penalties. Surprised the defense gave up so many points. Very frustrating game for sure and the ending was too close for comfort but when that pass goes incomplete the whole stadium goes nuts. WVU fans were walking up the aisle and they were extending their hand out and saying Good game. I was very impressed by that. Of course there are like 2 or three people who just didn't want any conciliatory gestures whatsoever and were just giving the bird to everyone as they walked up the aisle. But WVU has nothing to be ashamed of. That was a very good game that came down to the wire. Yes, it should have been a better Tech win, and Slyve should have hit those field goals. I think the QB looked good and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens to him throughout the season. 

9 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Sorry you feel that way. That was a good game. 

You'd rather play directional Michigan or Richmond in week 1?

As opposed to a mid level B-12 team? 

Yes. The game does nothing for VT. I am hoping the '21 & '22 games get cancelled and replaced with FCS games. 

That's crazy.  That was a phenomenal game that had all of the announcers and commentators giddy and remembering why CFB is so great by the end.  They beat the crap out of each other and it came down to a final play with 2 seconds remaining.

These teams need to be playing each other every season again, it's good for both programs.  It was way better than any of the VT-Miami and VT-UVA games of late.  WVU isn't a mid level B-12 team either.  They're good and they could certainly finish as high as second or third in their conference this season.

40 minutes ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

Yes. The game does nothing for VT. I am hoping the '21 & '22 games get cancelled and replaced with FCS games. 

They're good rivals and it excites the fan base. Rather play them than cupcake. You can only get better by challenging yourself! 

44 minutes ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

Does that then make Tech a mid level ACC team? Both finished 2nd in their league last year.

Are you mad that the lunchpail D got shredded for 592 yards or something? That the game was close the entire 4 qtrs? That WVU had the same amount of talent?

I don't get it. You should be enjoying that win. It does more for Tech than any other game on your regular season schedule (except for Clemson and maybe Miami).

15 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Does that then make Tech a mid level ACC team? Both finished 2nd in their league last year.

Are you mad that the lunchpail D got shredded for 592 yards or something? That the game was close the entire 4 qtrs? That WVU had the same amount of talent?

I don't get it. You should be enjoying that win. It does more for Tech than any other game on your regular season schedule (except for Clemson and maybe Miami).

Right now VT is a mid level ACC team. Losing Jerod Evans/Ford/Hodges were huge blows and based on the stats the defense was a disaster last night (for the record I missed the game last night and am watching the replay now)

As for the series, VT is better served playing FCS patsies or playing Penn State or MD, who have been poaching the hell out of the tidewater area for years now. 

Looking at '21/'22 with Penn State and Michigan on the schedule, there isn't any purpose in playing WVU when a win adds nothing to recruiting and wins over Penn State & Michigan will end up looking better. 

There were very valid reasons to have ended the series after the 2005 win in Morgantown and I haven't seen any valid reason that re starting the series has any benefit for the Virginia Tech football program

5 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Nobody is going to Blacksburg if they have a look at Ann Arbor.  That's just silly...which is par for the course with Chokie Nation.

Agree. VT isn't competing with Michigan anytime soon unless Fuente is an even better coach then I think he is. 

A win over Michigan in '21 would be huge though. Which makes me wonder why we are playing WVU the week before Michigan. That game should be against the worst FCS team in the region 

I am glad with the fact VT didn't blow a prime time neutral site game and finally got a win at FedEx Field. It was a refreshing win in that regard considering the prime time record VT has had on neutral sites the last 15 yeara

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

An intense and relevant rivalry is always good for a program.  It's certainly better for recruiting than playing Michigan once in a blue moon.  Rivalry games make the season for teams who won't compete for a playoff berth.

I agree. I just don't consider WVU to be that rival. Personally I  Iive for the game against Miami. That program was always border line dirty, had extreme swag and some of the biggest & most intense wins of the peak of the Beamer era were against Miami. When I was in school those were the games I circled 

Archived