Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 NCAA Football Thread

ixcuincle

2 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Excited, more like interested, intrigued until the possibility of an upset no longer exists.  Excitement happening when the underdog keeps it close and goes down to the wire and pulls off the upset or comes damn near close.  Definitely excitement the next rounds they play in to see if they can hang yet again.  

I love watching the kids/players faces on these underdog teams when they pull off a huge upset, like when Lehigh beat Duke. Being a UNC fan and hating Duke, it was awesome watching them go down in flames.  

So, the answer is no, no one cares about the actual basketball just the upset/underdog/drama part of it.

Here is an interesting question: What was the last really great NCAA tournament game? Not in terms of nuttiness/drama/back and forth stuff....but in terms of "These are supremely talented teams playing at an incredibly high level."

Syracuse-Kansas during Melo's freshman year? You had the right combination of talent, experience, and coaching in that game.

1 hour ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

That game where Duke and Butler shot a combined 11 percent or something convinced me that college basketball was irretrievably broken.

Clearly you have no memory of college basketball before the introduction of the shot clock.  A few highlights (or lowlights if you will):

In one 1973 game on the road against a powerful Tennessee team, Temple went into a dedicated stall, which succeeded in keeping the Owls in the game. They didn’t win, though, and the resulting 11-6 final score will never be matched.

On February 24, 1979, fourth-ranked North Carolina made its annual trip to Cameron Indoor Stadium to play sixth-ranked Duke. Tar Heels coach Dean Smith ran his famous Four Corners offense in an effort to force the Blue Devils out of their zone, but Duke wouldn’t budge. After the Blue Devils scored the game’s opening bucket, Carolina held the ball for 11 minutes. The score at halftime was 7-0 in Duke’s favor. The Blue Devils eventually won by those seven points, 47-40.

On December 29, 1981, an unranked Notre Dame team ran a stall against fourth-ranked Kentucky and took the game to overtime before losing. By Sports Illustrated’s count, coach Digger Phelps’ Irish made 213 consecutive passes during one particular possession.

Link

50 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

So, the answer is no, no one cares about the actual basketball just the upset/underdog/drama part of it.

Here is an interesting question: What was the last really great NCAA tournament game? Not in terms of nuttiness/drama/back and forth stuff....but in terms of "These are supremely talented teams playing at an incredibly high level."

Syracuse-Kansas during Melo's freshman year? You had the right combination of talent, experience, and coaching in that game.

Not necessarily, it depends on the match-up.  I love watching college basketball and good match-ups of teams, whether that includes my team or not.  But I also like watching the underdogs (talking the real low seeds) give a #1 or #2 powerhouse hell the entire game, it is exciting, there is hope for an upset, where David takes out Goliath.  

But I also enjoy watching the equal/close to equal match-ups like the 8 vs 9 or 7 vs 10, or when a 1 meets a 2 later on, etc.  No game where any team is getting blown out by 50 points is exciting, regardless of what seed they are.  Which is why watching a #16 or #15 hanging with a #1 or #2 when they should be getting blown out by 50 points makes it exciting because that is a game where one would look at the matchup and say, this should be a blowout and pretty boring to watch.

3 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

UNC-Villanova two years ago where Nova got a walk off 3?  Davidson when Seth Curry was there just donkin teams off? The Billy Donovan Florida teams? Kentucky-WV? Gordon Hayward Butler teams? I can keep going...

College basketball is truly horrific. I have no interest in it outside of upsets in the ncaa tournament. 

I don’t get how anyone that watches the nba regularly can enjoy such a watered down, untalented version of the sport. 

Contrast that with college football which has the pageantry, student sections, fight songs, unique stadiums and traditions, uniforms, unique offenses and schemes and actually I think a lot better rules than the NFL, which makes it as equally exciting it not moreso than the NFL despite the talent not being the same. 

9 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

College basketball is truly horrific. I have no interest in it outside of upsets in the ncaa tournament. 

I don’t get how anyone that watches the nba regularly can enjoy such a watered down, untalented version of the sport. 

Contrast that with college football which has the pageantry, student sections, fight songs, unique stadiums and traditions, uniforms, unique offenses and schemes and actually I think a lot better rules than the NFL, which makes it as equally exciting it not moreso than the NFL despite the talent not being the same. 

I disagree. I prefer college basketball to the NBA because it is passionate and not entirely a one on one league. The NBA for the most part is about isolation. 

12 hours ago, Popeman38 said:

UNC-Villanova two years ago where Nova got a walk off 3?  Davidson when Seth Curry was there just donkin teams off? The Billy Donovan Florida teams? Kentucky-WV? Gordon Hayward Butler teams? I can keep going...

Butler-Duke played the single worst college basketball game I ever saw in that title game. That game was close throughout because neither team could throw the ball in the ocean.

Butler shot 35 percent for the game and had a chance to win.

Duke shot 29 percent from the three point line.

And if I recall correctly, the misses were terrible misses. It was like a junior high game or something.

Awful.

This is the con of the NCAA tournament. It has convinced everyone that "Close=Good."

6 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

So, you have not watched an NBA game since 2002 apparently.....

That's sounds like Houston, OKC, and Cleveland's offense in a nutshell though. Mainly ISO plays for LeBron, Russ, and Harden.

Back on topic, UGA and Bama and LSU and Auburn and every team should play each other, when they are in a conference. Otherwise, how do you decide who is superior?

1 minute ago, The Evil Genius said:

That's sounds like Houston, OKC, and Cleveland's offense in a nutshell though. Mainly ISO plays for LeBron, Russ, and Harden.

Back on topic, UGA and Bama and LSU and Auburn and every team should play each other, when they are in a conference. Otherwise, how do you decide who is superior?

By height.

1 minute ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

By height.

Damn. I thought it was # of 5 star Rivals recruits.

One more thing..mark me down also as preferring NCAAB much more than NBA. The idea that the Mercer's and Richmond's of the world can beat the Duke's and Indiana's is just damn appealing to me.

4 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Damn. I thought it was # of 5 star Rivals recruits.

One more thing..mark me down also as preferring NCAAB much more than NBA. The idea that the Mercer's and Richmond's of the world can beat the Duke's and Indiana's is just damn appealing to me.

That's mainly because everyone on both teams is bad. Duke has the more talented players but they are all four months removed from awful AAU games.

My daughter being in AAU for a few years really soured me on college basketball. Top level high school AAU games involve amazing players that have no earthly idea what they are doing and are not being coached.

By the end the NCAA tourney time, most of those of bad habits are gone, but they still pop up from time to time.

This actually takes me back to the topic. I sort of like Alabama to be a permanent placeholder in the playoffs simply because they also have incredible talent that always does exactly what it is supposed to do. (It's a nerd thing, but I simply love watching Alabama's secondary play every year, because it's like watching the late 70s/early 80s Raiders. They pass dudes off to each other like pros).  It almost always takes a supreme individual performance by someone to beat them, which generally makes the wins feel earned. Nick Chubb against them could be fun. Or he could gain 20 yards.

13 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I'd like to add one more thought.

**** you Rich Rod. You're getting what you deserve.

I'd bring him back tomorrow.

I find Coach Jimmy Buffet highly amusing, but I'm tired of "I'm going to call a fade route on 4th and 3, because I'm frustrated and the uppers are starting to wear off."

By the way, once you realize that Dana looks like Jimmy Buffet, you cannot unsee it.

3 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I'd bring him back tomorrow.

I find Coach Jimmy Buffet highly amusing, but I'm tired of "I'm going to call a fade route on 4th and 3, because I'm frustrated and the uppers are starting to wear off."

By the way, once you realize that Dana looks like Jimmy Buffet, you cannot unsee it.

I still prefer Dana. Especially if WVU is to compete in the B12. What I don't like anymore is the 3-3-5. I think it's been solved and isn't a problem for B12 coaches.

I'd almost bet the house that WVU wins 10 games next year. Based on what is returning on offense, they'd have to be one of the favorites right now. If they do, Dana will be safe. If they go 8-4 or worse again, then yeah..maybe it's time to move on. That's the fickle nature of college football though.

Oh and for the love of God, fix the goddamn special teams play.

Just now, The Evil Genius said:

I still prefer Dana. Especially if WVU is to compete in the B12. What I don't like anymore is the 3-3-5. I think it's been solved and isn't a problem for B12 coaches.

I'm joking about Rich Rod - though he is still the best coach they've ever had there.

I just think everything Dana does on both sides of the ball is kind of a gimmick and requires players that WVU really can't recruit on a consistent basis.

(I ultimately think the move to the Big 12 both saved and destroyed WVU's football program. It kept it relevant as there was a really good chance of ending up with the misfit toys of college football. On the other hand, it's a northeast school that makes its living off recruiting in Florida that now plays all its games in Texas and the Plains. It's tough fit.

The upcoming decade of college football will be pretty interesting. The number of youth and high school players has been dropping over the past few years because of concussion fears. In 2016, Pittsburgh Post Gazette reported that nationally 26,000 fewer high school players played football than in 2015. Whoever is at the tops of CFB in the next few years might enjoy another decade as long as their head coaches stay there. Saban is 66. Swinney is 48. Meyer 53. A lot of programs may fold or the have and have-nots disparty will just get (even more) ridiculous.  

1 hour ago, Elessar78 said:

The upcoming decade of college football will be pretty interesting. The number of youth and high school players has been dropping over the past few years because of concussion fears. In 2016, Pittsburgh Post Gazette reported that nationally 26,000 fewer high school players played football than in 2015. Whoever is at the tops of CFB in the next few years might enjoy another decade as long as their head coaches stay there. Saban is 66. Swinney is 48. Meyer 53. A lot of programs may fold or the have and have-nots disparty will just get (even more) ridiculous.  

I think we are a generation or more away from college programs folding due to a manpower shortage - though that is certainly possible in the long-term. 1-AA are still moving up to D-1 and there was a recent article in SI, I believe, about all the money that D-III schools are pumping into their programs. There's still gold in them thar hills.

Archived