SEC West

Auburn 10-3 (7-1) Ranked preseason

Alabama 11-1 (7-1) Ranked preseason

LSU 8-4 (6-2) Ranked preseason

Mississippi St 8-4 (4-4)

Texas A&M 7-5 (4-4)

Ole Miss 6-6 (3-5)

Arkansas 4-8 (1-7)

Half the conference ranked to start the season (28% of the rankings).  Please explain how the SEC was so hard. I'll wait...

It wasn't hard. You win the internet. Congrats. UCF should have been the fourth seed.

I honestly don't know what conference is good and what conference isn't good. Oklahoma undressed Ohio State, yet the Big 10 cleaned everyone's clocks in the bowls, and Oklahoma lost to Iowa State.

College football may just be stupid. We need to consider that.

7 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

It wasn't hard. You win the internet. Congrats. UCF should have been the fourth seed.

I honestly don't know what conference is good and what conference isn't good. Oklahoma undressed Ohio State, yet the Big 10 cleaned everyone's clocks in the bowls, and Oklahoma lost to Iowa State.

College football may just be stupid. We need to consider that.

But the basis for Alabama getting in was that the SEC is a "hard" conference and going 11-1 means more than going undefeated for any other conference. Except they literally beat two ranked opponent from this hard conference - Mississippi St and LSU. They also beat a ranked FSU to start the season - the same FSU who had to reschedule the University of Louisiana - Monroe to become bowl eligible at 6-6.  Mississippi St was ranked 16th (with 2 losses at the time) and LSU was ranked 19th (also with 2 losses, including losing to Troy AT HOME). Any other conference loses to Troy at home to get a 2nd loss and they drop from the rankings.

EDIT: And now the executive director of the CFP shows his ass:

"The CFP is all about teams, not conferences," Han**** said. "And these are two really great teams coming off landmark semifinals victories over tremendous opponents. The atmosphere in Atlanta will be truly something to behold. All I can say is, buckle up and enjoy."

So it used to be winning a conference championship was more important.  Now "it's all about teams"...

12 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Except that the underdog in the 8 team playoff scenario (based off the BCS rankings) would be a 3 loss Auburn who beat the #1 team in the regular season twice 

And the next year it will be Jethro Pumpernickel University, with a perfect record (after several better teams screw up late in the season) or some other big conference lesser team with a perfect record, that will get served up.

I like Hollywood too, and we naturally want to change everything when one team gets "Wronged," but like I said when people used to criticize the BCS, if you are outside of the top 4, no one really cares about you anyway.

4 is about as much as im willing to accept, as a viewer. Im not interested in fairness or underdogs. People hated computers (I wasn't one of them) and somehow thought humans and their stupidity could do it better. Now this is what you get, and it was inevitable.

6-8 teams would water this down hilariously. Im not particularly interested in "the way tge NFL does things," either. Those are professional freaks of nature, and the competitive edge is miniscule by comparison.

This is the best of an imperfect situation, imo

Just now, Popeman38 said:

EDIT: And now the executive director of the CFP shows his ass:

So it used to be winning a conference championship was more important.  Now "it's all about teams"...

That is my point.  I just want whatever criteria they tell us means something to actually mean something and stick by it.  Which if they stuck by it, Bama is out and OSU is in for winning it's conference championship.  But they didn't and now they change the narrative to fit their agenda.  

If they decided to use the BCS to rank the top 4 and Bama gets in, fine by me, because that's the process in place.  If you are going to preach about conference championships counting heavily towards determining the top four teams, then honor that, throughout the entire season.  Don't change it up and put in a team you want in there because it creates a better story line in the match-ups.  

That statement by the executive director screams favoritism and bias, imo.  Guess conference championships only matter when Bama is playing in one or winning.....

Anyhow, at the end of the day, it's over and done with.  I could really care less since my team sucked this year and didn't make the top 4.  Again, for me it's not how good is Bama going to do, it's about the criteria a committee preached about the entire time being altered/changed to allow a team in that did not deserve to be there based on said criteria.

34 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

The SEC is "super hard" this year? Bull****:

SEC East

Georgia 12-1 (7-1) Ranked preseason

South Carolina 8-4 (5-3) Ranked preseason

Kentucky 7-5 (4-4)

Missouri 7-5 (4-4)

Florida 4-7 (3-5) Ranked preseason

Vanderbilt 5-7 (1-7)

Tennessee 4-8 (0-8) Ranked preseason

SEC West

Auburn 10-3 (7-1) Ranked preseason

Alabama 11-1 (7-1) Ranked preseason

LSU 8-4 (6-2) Ranked preseason

Mississippi St 8-4 (4-4)

Texas A&M 7-5 (4-4)

Ole Miss 6-6 (3-5)

Arkansas 4-8 (1-7)

Half the conference ranked to start the season (28% of the rankings).  Please explain how the SEC was so hard. I'll wait...

I think Johnny Football killed the SEC mystique. Deshaun Watson killed it in the afterlife.

It used to be known for defense, and these defenses are getting humiliated. Instability at Tennessee, UF, LSU, etc has further eroded it. I applaud the media for trying their damndest to keep it alive

16 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

And the next year it will be Jethro Pumpernickel University, with a perfect record (after several better teams screw up late in the season) or some other big conference lesser team with a perfect record, that will get served up.

I like Hollywood too, and we naturally want to change everything when one team gets "Wronged," but like I said when people used to criticize the BCS, if you are outside of the top 4, no one really cares about you anyway.

4 is about as much as im willing to accept, as a viewer. Im not interested in fairness or underdogs. People hated computers (I wasn't one of them) and somehow thought humans and their stupidity could do it better. Now this is what you get, and it was inevitable.

6-8 teams would water this down hilariously. Im not particularly interested in "the way tge NFL does things," either. Those are professional freaks of nature, and the competitive edge is miniscule by comparison.

Like I said, I'm old. The old bowl system sucked, because #1 would play #10 in the Orange Bowl, and that was that. The BCS sucked. Everything sucks.

I like the 4-team playoff. It's tidy. Anything bigger is going to run head-on into the NFL, and who needs that?

At the end of the day, the team that really got screwed is Auburn and they lost to a team that wasn't going to get into a 10-team playoff. Ohio State can go piss up a rope. Though they did spare us from watching Wisconsin get beat by Clemson by 60 last night. So, thanks for that, I guess.

The thing about college football is that by New Years Day, I often want less college football. Is anyone really unhappy that USC did not get their crack at glory?

6 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Maybe 8 teams is too much, looking back through some of the BCS final rankings, it would get messy at times beyond #6.  But even the top 4 looked crazy one year, we would have had Bama, TX, Cincy and TCU :ols:

I actually liked the BCS and was never a fan of any human committee picking the four teams.  I'd be fine with either implementing a BCS type formula to rank the top 4 (at minimum) or expanding to top 6 teams with the top 2 getting a bye and first round getting an extra home game for the higher seeds.  

I don't think 6 teams would water it down, thats just my opinion though.  I look at it as I'd rather have two more games (if expanded to 6 teams) that mean something to watch if it meant reducing the non-conference cream puff games by one and scheduling them late in the season.  

2 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Like I said, I'm old. The old bowl system sucked, because #1 would play #10 in the Orange Bowl, and that was that. The BCS sucked. Everything sucks.

I like the 4-team playoff. It's tidy. Anything bigger is going to run head-on into the NFL, and who needs that?

At the end of the day, the team that really got screwed is Auburn and they lost to a team that wasn't going to get into a 10-team playoff. Ohio State can go piss up a rope. Though they did spare us from watching Wisconsin get beat by Clemson by 60 last night. So, thanks for that, I guess.

The thing about college football is that by New Years Day, I often want less college football. Is anyone really unhappy that USC did not get their crack at glory?

How can making it a 6 team playoff where the top 2 teams get a first round bye, only adding two additional games, but reducing the total # of non-conference games by one for everyone run head on into the NFL?  The regular season would end one week earlier and then the bowl/playoff bowls would start and end at the same time.

11 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Maybe 8 teams is too much, looking back through some of the BCS final rankings, it would get messy at times beyond #6.  But even the top 4 looked crazy one year, we would have had Bama, TX, Cincy and TCU :ols:

I actually liked the BCS and was never a fan of any human committee picking the four teams.  I'd be fine with either implementing a BCS type formula to rank the top 4 (at minimum) or expanding to top 6 teams with the top 2 getting a bye and first round getting an extra home game for the higher seeds.  

I don't think 6 teams would water it down, thats just my opinion though.  I look at it as I'd rather have two more games (if expanded to 6 teams) that mean something to watch if it meant reducing the non-conference cream puff games by one and scheduling them late in the season.  

Maybe, but it's like that scene from Rush Hour II when they are shown the lineup at the massage parlour.

You start with one, two or three, then one girl starts rubbing her titties, and you have to have her too. Then another one licks her lipsreally slow and sultry, and before you know it, you are being trampled by ass and titties (in this case, football teams) because there will never be enough for us to be satisfied, and even if we were, Tex Englehorn from Beaver State University will go on his sad ass coaches show and rain down fire and brimstone, because his team got left at the doorstep of the 16 team playoff.

If I had to choose between who I want to hear complain, Id rather it be Gus Malzahn or Urban Meyer. Certainly not Tex

Not really sure how 8 teams would water it down. We just saw UCF beat the team that beat both Georgia and Alabama. If anything, it becomes more of a toss up since teams wouldn’t have as long to prepare. First round is mid December Saturday. Second round is a week later and Championship game is New Years Day. If D-II can figure it out...

It would get big ratings and lead straight into the NFL playoffs. 

13 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Not really sure how 8 teams would water it down. We just saw UCF beat the team that beat both Georgia and Alabama. If anything, it becomes more of a toss up since teams wouldn’t have as long to prepare. First round is mid December Saturday. Second round is a week later and Championship game is New Years Day. If D-II can figure it out...

You just put the second round on Christmas Day.

3 minutes ago, Hersh said:

In the game of college football, I do not believe there are ever 8 National Championship worthy teams. Sometimes there aren't even three. So the issue then becomes ratings, and shock/awe/upset factor.

Ratings are good. We like drama, and rooting for the big upsets. The problem with that, imo, is in the years where there is no '06 Boise St, or any real quality teams within the  major conferences, and instead you get a team that gets beat mercilessly.

Instead of 4 teams, where you know there are 4 powerhouses (and really, you don't, because the playoffs honestly have been a bit underwhelming for the most part), you go from advertising what is, to what if. I like underdogs, but more often or not, "Could they do it?! Could they really do it?!" will get answered in a few minutes, and I will change the channel.

I acknowledge that it lays the groundwork potentially for more great football, but just in terms of the average expectation in totality, year after year, when some years will be more down then others, it will become a net negative.

Some people would watch a Toilet Bowl game, but I'm just not interested in that, and I wouldn't want to risk it if it was my decision

11 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

In the game of college football, I do not believe there are ever 8 National Championship worthy teams. Sometimes there aren't even three. So the issue then becomes ratings, and shock/awe/upset factor.

Ratings are good. We like drama, and rooting for the big upsets. The problem with that, imo, is in the years where there is no '06 Boise St, or any real quality teams within the  major conferences, and instead you get a team that gets beat mercilessly.

Instead of 4 teams, where you know there are 4 powerhouses (and really, you don't, because the playoffs honestly have been a bit underwhelming for the most part), you go from advertising what is, to what if. I like underdogs, but more often or not, "Could they do it?! Could they really do it?!" will get answered in a few minutes, and I will change the channel.

I acknowledge that it lays the groundwork potentially for more great football, but just in terms of the average expectation in totality, year after year, when some years will be more down then others, it will become a net negative.

Some people would watch a Toilet Bowl game, but I'm just not interested in that, and I wouldn't want to risk it if it was my decision

I think that's sort of my thought. I actually have liked the playoffs, because you are getting "worthy" teams at the very least and you can get some decent games.

But, yes, the 4 team playoff was "needed" was because every three years there was a third team with an argument for inclusion.

And, honestly, that happened this year. There were three teams who "deserved" to be in the playoffs - Clemson, Oklahoma, and Georgia. Under the old system, one of them would have been excluded and it would have been a ****storm.

I always thought a three team playoff would work. 2 vs 3 for the right to play 1. But then, "Who is #1? becomes a thing.

No matter what you do, there will always be a thing.

Here is a question: Does anyone actually like the individual NCAA tourney games? I mean, there are obvious "classics" over the years, but no one watches the tournament for great play. You watch for the orgy of important games, and the upsets and buzzer beaters. I'm pretty sure a few years ago, there was a Thursday that pretty much went all chalk, and it was one of the more depressing days of sports I ever watched.

Also, I feel like if Alabama got UCF in a game that really truly meant something, they would not only win, but Saban would sell that one-handed dude's skeleton to a museum in Slovakia at the end of it.

For me personally, I find playoffs to be much more exciting than regular season games and I certainly don't care at all about the 40 other bowl games. I watch almost none of them but I did watch the games last night. Let's also remember that the 4 team playoff has produced boring games. 

I think all potential first round games would have been fun to watch if you had UCF vs Clemson, Bama vs Oklahoma, Penn State vs Georgia, USC vs OSU. 

Just based on who I think should have made it. 

27 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

You just put the second round on Christmas Day.

One could plan around that. I presume it wouldn't be Trump in charge so there would be a bit of thought into the schedule. :cheers:

1 minute ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Here is a question: Does anyone actually like the individual NCAA tourney games? I mean, there are obvious "classics" over the years, but no one watches the tournament for great play. You watch for the orgy of important games, and the upsets and buzzer beaters. I'm pretty sure a few years ago, there was a Thursday that pretty much went all chalk, and it was one of the more depressing days of sports I ever watched.

Also, I feel like if Alabama got UCF in a game that really truly meant something, they would not only win, but Saban would sell that one-handed dude's skeleton to a museum in Slovakia at the end of it.

I love the NCAA tournament games.  So much in fact, that I take off the Thursday and Friday from work to watch the first round every year.  I don't usually watch the first four games on the Tuesday and Wed when it starts unless it's an ACC team playing.  

Wife and I usually head out to the bar Thursday for lunch, meet up with our friends (who also takes off both days and lives 5 mins away), drink beer, eat and watch basketball.  Then head back to my house and chill and drink beer and watch basketball all day.  Friday, repeat.  Saturday and Sunday, usually just me at home with the wife watching games.

In my mancave, I have three TVs, so I pick the three matchups I want to see and roll with that all day.  I do not love it enough to purchase a fourth TV and add on a third wireless DirectTV receiver though :ols:, though it would be nice to have one for each of the four stations.  I do start getting a tad burned out by Sunday though, just mentally drained.  But then you get some time off until rounds 3 and 4, so I'm pumped up at that point for some more games.

As for the NCAAM, I used to like the tourney, then I realized what a late night infomercial sham it was.

Either the underdog gets the smackdown laid on them, or they win so often the whole Watch the underdog!!!!!!! See the underdog?! Watch every underdog!!!!!!" stops being entertaining

What was the order? Mason, VCU, and Butler?

Whoever went second ruined the tournament.

All of our lives, we wanted the small conference underdog to make the Final Four.

And then they did and simply would not stop doing it.

The once in a lifetime thing happened like 4 times in 6 years or something like that.

5 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I love the NCAA tournament games.  So much in fact, that I take off the Thursday and Friday from work to watch the first round every year.  I don't usually watch the first four games on the Tuesday and Wed when it starts unless it's an ACC team playing.  

I get that you like watching a million games in 4 days. I said, everyone likes that.

What I mean is, do you get excited for Fresno St versus South Carolina or whatever the 4-13 matchup is.

Chuck Klosterman said it about college football, but it is mostly true in the NCAA basketball tournament. I am constantly cheering for whoever is losing the game.

10 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

VCU going from the First Four to ****slapping Kansas in the Elite Eight is one of the greatest underdog runs in sports history.  If you’re not down with it, you are a broken and miserable person.

True. But when 5 VCU's beat 5 KU's in the same tournament, you're left scratching your head and wondering what the hell just happened.

Everybody wants a revolution, but few know what to do or what comes next, with the world turned upside down.

Then of course the opposite, where all the rebels die and their families are burned at the stake

1 minute ago, Mr. Sinister said:

True. But when 5 VCU's beat 5 KU's in the same tournament, you're left scratching your head and wondering what the hell just happened.

Everybody wants a revolution, but few know what to do or what comes next, with the world turned upside down.

Broken and miserable.

1 minute ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Broken and miserable.

Again, I can't remember. Did VCU's run come after Mason's?

Whichever was second was puzzling more than exciting.

Butler's run made me think that college basketball was irretrievably broken.

That game where Duke and Butler shot a combined 11 percent or something convinced me that college basketball was irretrievably broken.

I was at Princeton the year we upset UCLA. That game still gets discussed analyzed.

I think the reason is that was one of the last times when college teams had recognizable stars from previous tournaments (I was so terrified of Toby Bailey that night), and where these upsets felt like some part of backstory. Princeton had been almost knocking off powers for 8 years at that point, and finally did after Pete Carril retires.

Also, half the staff at Sports Illustrated attended Princeton so that helps.

Anyone, it's all fun and games with the 8 team tournament until the title game is #6 versus #8, and it's just a boring Big Ten game.

22 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I get that you like watching a million games in 4 days. I said, everyone likes that.

What I mean is, do you get excited for Fresno St versus South Carolina or whatever the 4-13 matchup is.

Chuck Klosterman said it about college football, but it is mostly true in the NCAA basketball tournament. I am constantly cheering for whoever is losing the game.

Excited, more like interested, intrigued until the possibility of an upset no longer exists.  Excitement happening when the underdog keeps it close and goes down to the wire and pulls off the upset or comes damn near close.  Definitely excitement the next rounds they play in to see if they can hang yet again.  

I love watching the kids/players faces on these underdog teams when they pull off a huge upset, like when Lehigh beat Duke. Being a UNC fan and hating Duke, it was awesome watching them go down in flames.  

7 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Again, I can't remember. Did VCU's run come after Mason's?

Whichever was second was puzzling more than exciting.

Butler's run made me think that college basketball was irretrievably broken.

That game where Duke and Butler shot a combined 11 percent or something convinced me that college basketball was irretrievably broken.

I was at Princeton the year we upset UCLA. That game still gets discussed analyzed.

I think the reason is that was one of the last times when college teams had recognizable stars from previous tournaments (I was so terrified of Toby Bailey that night), and where these upsets felt like some part of backstory. Princeton had been almost knocking off powers for 8 years at that point, and finally did after Pete Carril retires.

Also, half the staff at Sports Illustrated attended Princeton so that helps.

Anyone, it's all fun and games with the 8 team tournament until the title game is #6 versus #8, and it's just a boring Big Ten game.

Mason came first.  Michigan St-North Carolina-Wichita St-Connecticut was EPIC.

VCU had USC-Georgetown-Purdue-FSU-Kansas was good, but not quite as epic (except for for the VCU fans). 

Archived