Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Liquor Thread

PokerPacker

2 minutes ago, KAOSkins said:

Anyone ever try Johnny Walker double black?  I'm hopeful it's an acceptable, and more affordable, substitute for the Islay peaty single malts.

I haven’t had it, how much does it run in your area compared to some of the younger Islay single malts (Lagavulin 8, Ardbeg 10 & their new five year)? 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, China said:

Better make sure your tumbler hasn't been recalled:

Yeti recalls nearly 250,000 mugs over burning hazards linked to a faulty lid

Thanks for posting. 

So this applies to the 20 oz travel mug, not the Sippy Cup (which is 10 oz), although I also have the 20 oz travel mug, which I use for coffee.  I got it from Dick's Sporting Goods, the recall says it only applies to sales through the Yeti website.  

Virginia had a rare whiskey sale yesterday. Two expressions of EH Taylor and Weller Full Proof hit stores for the first time in a long time (usually done by lottery). 6 bottles of Weller showed up at my local, rural ABC store and I showed up 50 minutes before the store opened with a lawn chair, ready to Black Friday it. 7th in line. ****. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, KAOSkins said:

$40 vs $70 or so.  Haven't found the Ardbeg 5 yet.  I'll be on the look out.

Damn. Ardbeg 10 just went up to $60 here in VA but it was also on sale for $48 last month so I bought a few. Same here on the 5, it’s not as widely available yet. Believe the 5 year (Wee Beastie) is around $46. Might have to grab a bottle of double black at some point just to try it. If you do, report back here with a review. :) 

Edited by skinsfan_1215

We’ve been trying to “elevate” and expand  the bar offerings a little since redoing/reopening it.  This has been on a pretty good run.  Not crazy expensive

Color: Clear gold

Nose: Basil, green apple, honey

Palate: Grapefruit, green grapes, peppermint, thyme

Finish: Subtly sweet and spicy finish with a hint of vanilla oak, white pepper and ginger

910C2810-2ACC-48D8-A998-4B564FB75A08.jpeg

Edited by stoshuaj
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Canajoharie couple discovers 88 bottles of Prohibition-era whiskey in walls

A couple bought a fixer-upper in the rural village of Ames, and found 88 bottles of liquid treasure lining its walls.

Nick Drummond and Patrick Bakker had heard that the old Montgomery County home they purchased last fall had been built in 1915 by a notorious bootlegger, but they had chalked the claim up to small-town lore.

Drummond found the first bottle of Prohibition-era whiskey by accident in October while renovating an unfinished mudroom attached to the house.

"We were repairing trim and a freaking package just fell out of the wall!?" Drummond wrote on Instagram. 

The bottle was wrapped in paper, bundled in straw and then wrapped again in brown parchment. The whiskey was identified on the label as Gaelic Old Smuggler, a well-known brand a century ago that remains popular with collectors.

223093645_717.jpg

Of the 88 bottles the couple discovered, only 13 of the bottles are full, although some have damaged tops. The rest of the bottles are half-full or empty, with their contents fully evaporated.

"I would say nine to 10 are in good, sellable condition," Drummond said.

A genuine bottle of Old Smuggler's sold for $1,268 at a 2018 online auction.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Ive never actually had Eagle Rare. But my buddy out in Warrenton was complaining about it being impossible to find, so i bought it just to **** with him.  :)

It’s normally doesn’t have a lot of sweetness more on the dry side for the 10 year old.  Prav said the one he picked is really sweet for an ER. Which is what I prefer.  Can’t wait to try it.  If it wasn’t for this virus I already would have.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

So as a non scotch drinker what would be a legit good starting point? Even if I wanted just a small shot size one from BevMo. Should I grab a single malt? Drink it neat, room temp?

I'm a post quarantine scotch fan and I dove into the deep end of the Islay peaty scotches.  Johnny Walker double black is a fair start.  Laproigh has a few reasonable ones.  Got a bottle of lagavulin 16 for Christmas that is my absolute favorite.  Not reasonably priced, at all, but wonderful.

That Don Julio is going to taunt me until I get to try it sometime.

Edited by KAOSkins
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KAOSkins said:

I'm a post quarantine scotch fan and I dove into the deep end of the Islay peaty scotches.  Johnny Walker double black is a fair start.  Laproigh has a few reasonable ones.  Got a bottle of lagavulin 16 for Christmas that is my absolute favorite.  Not reasonably priced, at all, but wonderful.

That Don Julio is going to taunt me until I get to try it sometime.

The Don Julio is superb.  Normally I’m a bourbon man but I have tried that Johnny Walker double black and while I didn’t think it was bad at all I just don’t think it’s worth the higher price.  The Don Julio 1942 on the other hand, superb and worth the extra price.

Edited by -JB-
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Brand (that won't break this non lawyers budget)?

I’ll just throw a couple of really good whiskeys out there you can actually buy and don’t cost a fortune.  

McKenna 10 Year Bourbon

Pikesville Rye

Angels Envy Bourbon

Old Grandad Bourbon.

Woodford Rye

If I’m at a bar or restaurant I will order any of these happily.  

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I've been doing some homework because I Want to get into harder liqours (mainly been drinking beer and wine) and want a stronger buzz

What bourbons or other types of liqour would yall recommend

And would you take it straight up or mixed? Tell me everything 😆🤔