Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Liquor Thread

PokerPacker

5 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

Get one or two fo the store picks he will have there.  Nothing will approach those for that money.  I recommend his High West Snoop pick.  It's amazingly good although it is a rye not bourbon.  If you really want bourbon, he has a Makers pick that is awesome too. But he may be out of those.  If you want to spend a bit more He has a Bowman Censored pick that is one of the best I've had.  

Thanks!

Taking a step back, can you explain the concept of a "store pick"?

Edited by PleaseBlitz

10 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

Prav will be there at Noon.  Get one or two fo the store picks he will have there.  Nothing will approach those for that money.  I recommend his High West Snoop pick.  It's amazingly good although it is a rye not bourbon.  If you really want bourbon, he has a Makers pick that is awesome too. But he may be out of those.  If you want to spend a bit more He has a Bowman Censored pick that is one of the best I've had.  Also he usually has some opens you can give a try.

4 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Thanks!

Taking a step back, can you explain the concept of a "store pick"?

The way it works is he goes to the distillery and tastes individual barrels usually with a small group and pick out the best of the 6 to 12 you taste.  Then he has that barrel bottled for his store.  There can be huge variations in individual barrels and you can end up getting amazing whiskey for relatively cheap prices.  It's how I get most of my whiskey nowadays.  

Edited by HOF44
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

The way it works is he goes to the distillery and tastes individual barrels usually with a small group and pick out the best of the 6 to 12 you taste.  Then he has that barrel bottles for his store.  There can be huge variations in individual barrels and you can end up getting amazing whiskey for relatively cheap prices.  It's how I get most of my whiskey nowadays.  

Awesome.  And yes, I did go back and review all of our past discussion on this topic this morning. :)  You have been an incredible resource on this stuff. :cheers:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Awesome.  And yes, I did go back and review all of our past discussion on this topic this morning. :)  You have been an incredible resource on this stuff. :cheers:

PB, what time should I swing by your house for the tasting party?  

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I mean, pretty much whenever.  My posts so far have been about getting a present for a neighbor, but make no mistake, I am filling up my trunk for myself too. :ols:

Post some pictures of your shopping spree!!

• Like 2

OK, I made it to the glorious booze palace.  Before I get to the haul, let me extend my deep appreciation to @HOF44.  Awhile back, I mused about finding a "booze concierge" and that is exactly what this place is.  AND IT'S TWO BLOCKS FROM MY OFFICE.  When i got there, they were making some lady stand outside while they filled her order.  I said HOF's name and the door opened and i was invited in.  #ballerstatus

Prav, the proprietor, is the ****ing man.  Obviously extremely knowledgeable, and he seemed intent on really learning about my tastes, rather than just filling an order transactionally.

The store itself is awesome.  I was raised on boring VA ABC stores that only carry the standard stuff.  Prav ushered me over to what I would describe as "The Prav Section" because all of the booze have labels made especially for him.  Here is an artists rendition of me entering this place:

Pics of the haul. 

F7A11CBA-8762-4C55-B520-F9B03697CFB6.jpeg

3A442C2D-32B8-4861-9809-D063CFDF51D3.jpeg

9C632735-9B91-44FE-B188-3D98771A4DBE.jpeg

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

My favorite of those is the Makers. Then the Rat Pack. I’m not a huge Starlight fan but a lot of people are going crazy for it right now. No Snoop????

I did not see Snoop.  I saw a poorly drawn picture of a penis and a butthole, but did not get that one.  The Makers is 100% for me.  Not sure if I am giving my buddy the Starlight or the Rat Pack.  I think I will casually ask him if he likes rye, and if so, then the Starlight.  The Starlight has two bottles, the only difference being the amount of char.  I think that will appeal to my buddy's analytic nature (he is a Navy JAG). 

What is the deal with the labels?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I did not see Snoop.  I saw a poorly drawn picture of a penis and a butthole, but did not get that one.  The Makers is 100% for me.  Not sure if I am giving my buddy the Starlight or the Rat Pack.  I think I will casually ask him if he likes rye, and if so, then the Starlight.  The Starlight has two bottles, the only difference being the amount of char.  I think that will appeal to my buddy's analytic nature (he is a Navy JAG). 

It started because people were just putting like Barrel xxxx on a label.  That makes it a pain in the ass when you say hey anybody have any xxxx for sale.  You have to go look it up cause nobody ever remembers the number. Now you can say hey give me the Snoop bottle or how bout that Rat Pack bottle and if it’s good it gets well known.  Also turns out that great labels can inflate a bottles value for NO logical reason.  Prav did a Bob Marley glow in the dark label of a plain old Buffalo Trace pick. Thing goes for over 150 a bottle. It’s good Buffalo Trace but should in no way go for that price.  

This 2 Face Rick Patino label goes for over 500 bucks. Whiskey is worth about 50. 

FC1E5A99-6A79-4B61-8CD5-F0065C600AF7.jpeg

Edited by HOF44
  • Like 1

Yea, I definitely had to resist the urge to pick a bottle based on the label rather than the description. The bottle (from thesame distillery) next to the Rat Pack bottle was a scene from Field of Dreams, which is one of my favorite movies, but everything Prav was telling me about the actual booze said go Rat Pack.

Its the same deal with wine. I know that if a bottle of wine has a too clever name or, god forbid, a high heel on the label, that wine is going to be trashjuice. 

On 9/24/2020 at 4:52 PM, PleaseBlitz said:

"The penis and the butthole" is a label gone bad. It's actually a kid's drawing of someone washing their hands.  

Bought this today when we were out to dinner.  We ate there last month and, as we getting ready to leave the the owner noticed my Old Forester shirt, and we started talking bourbon and our Kentucky trips.

Him, and his buddies, went to Wild Turkey, and they did a Kentucky Spirit pick.  I told him that next time we ate there, I'd try it. He told me if I liked it, I could buy a bottle.  I did, and I did.

If you like WT101, then you would love this.  $65.00, which isn't much more than retail.

20201002_204229.jpg

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/17/2020 at 10:39 PM, PleaseBlitz said:

So....blasphemy or brilliance?  My new bourbon drinking vessel is a Yeti tumbler. 

https://www.yeti.com/en_US/drinkware/rambler-10-oz-lowball/21090000053.html#start=1

It keeps **** cold indefinitely, and is unbreakable, and I do most of my drinking these days outside on my driveway since I don’t have a yard and must be outside as much as possible due to debilitating and chronic cabin fever. My driveway has already broken like 6 glasses, several plates, 2 iPads, and one child’s cranium. This just makes sense, right?

Better make sure your tumbler hasn't been recalled:

Yeti recalls nearly 250,000 mugs over burning hazards linked to a faulty lid