Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Liquor Thread

PokerPacker

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was able to try some Wilderness Trail High Rye Bourbon Sunday and I must say it's my favorite new bourbon in a while.  Can't wait to get some.  Supposed to start distribution in May keep your eyes open.  The other Wilderness Trail stuff I tried I though was just ok, this stuff is pretty damn good though.  Will be distributed in DC and MD also.  Not Virginia though.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HOF44 said:

I was able to try some Wilderness Trail High Rye Bourbon Sunday and I must say it's my favorite new bourbon in a while.  Can't wait to get some.  Supposed to start distribution in May keep your eyes open.  The other Wilderness Trail stuff I tried I though was just ok, this stuff is pretty damn good though.  Will be distributed in DC and MD also.  Not Virginia though.  

I personally know the owners, and that distillery is in my town. I haven't had their rye yet, but the 4 year is a personal favorite of mine, but then I like wheated bourbons and to me the taste test is like a young Weller with a thinner mouth feel.

4 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

I personally know the owners, and that distillery is in my town. I haven't had their rye yet, but the 4 year is a personal favorite of mine, but then I like wheated bourbons and to me the taste test is like a young Weller with a thinner mouth feel.

This isn’t the their rye but a high rye bourbon.  It’s a newcomer. I didn’t care for their rye or wheated bourbon but loved this. 

Edited by HOF44

ABC Stores will begin opening at 10 a.m. on Sundays in order to take in additional profits

Virginia's state-run liquor stores will begin opening two hours earlier on Sundays this summer, the Virginian-Pilot reported.

Virginia Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) stores will open at 10 a.m. instead of noon Sundays to make up for revenue lost after a new law lets craft distilleries keep 20 percent of their profits from sales on their premises — up from 8 percent.

Click on the link for the full article

• 2 months later...

A moment of silence will be observed for the nearly 500,000 bottles of Jim Beam lost too soon in yesterday's fire. Thankfully Beam has another 126 rack houses with plenty more supply!! 

I heard it from a well connected source that yesterday's loss was mostly white label, so looks like trailer parks will be the hardest hit.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/31/2019 at 12:01 AM, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I love you bro........but what tha F is this :cheers:

Look, I'm all about the traditional whiskeys taken neat, with a splash, or on the rocks, but I'm not averse to something a bit different here and there.  Variety is the spice of life.

Anyways, I just picked up a bottle of Corsair Triple Smoke.  I was intrigued by the prospect of a smokey American whiskey.  They split the mash up into three parts and smoke them with Cherry wood, Beechwood, and the traditional Scottish Peat.

It makes for a whiskey that is a little sweet on the tongue, but unquestionably smokey as it goes down.

Corsair-Triple-Smoke-Whiskey-500.jpg

... And I also picked up Gaur Spice.  A spiced whiskey made with cinnemon, cloves, ginger, and nutmeg.  It is rather sweet and I would not recommend to people who are whiskey purists.

A couple months ago, the local Murlarkey distillery was releasing their latest craft Brutality whiskey, which I picked up a bottle of on release day.

brutality-whiskey_200x570.png&f=1
Each batch is different, as that's their experimental whiskey that the distillers get to play around with.

For those open to something different, they also make a whiskey called the "Smokehouse".  You will never confuse it with an Islay smokey peated Scotch.  They take all of the wooden slats of a barrel and put 'em in a smoker for 10 hours as they make Barbeque.  Put them back together in barrel form and age a whiskey in it.  It comes out tasting like liquid barbeque.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Greetings friends. This is my first post in this thread. I recently took up drinking whisky for health reasons (I like beer so much it makes me fat), and have started to dip my toes into the world of single malt scotch. So far: 

Lagavulin 8- holy heck. First time I’d ever had a peaty whisky and it took a couple tries before I could appreciate the intricacies. I am now in love with it. My wife says it smells like diesel and makes faces at me when I drink it. 

Glenlivet 12- easy drinking. Got a little bit of a spice to it. But overall sweet and smooth.

Laphroig 10- this was the worst thing I’ve ever consumed. Wtf did they do, age it in cigarette butts? I’m not sure if I’m just being unfair here because I only drank it once (note- it did take me like 3 glasses of the Lagavulin before I decided I liked it). But I can’t see myself trying it again. Ugh. 

I’m going to try to find a bunch of minis to sample so I don’t go dropping $50+ a bottle on stuff I don’t end up liking. Recommendations for “budget” scotch to try? 

43 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

I’m going to try to find a bunch of minis to sample so I don’t go dropping $50+ a bottle on stuff I don’t end up liking. Recommendations for “budget” scotch to try? 

I picked up a bottle of Glenrothes the other day for only $36 if you wanna try a Speyside.  Tomatin 10 is a cheap Highland single malt for $30 last I saw; I got a bottle of that for a friend of mine when he was moving away and it started him on his whiskey journey.

Monkey Shoulder is a blended scotch that is better than most blends since it's made purely of Scotches rather than being cut with a grain-neutral liquor.  Glen Fiddich, Balvenie, and Kininvie, I believe, are what it's made of.  $30 for a bottle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Greetings friends. This is my first post in this thread. I recently took up drinking whisky for health reasons (I like beer so much it makes me fat), and have started to dip my toes into the world of single malt scotch. So far: 

Lagavulin 8- holy heck. First time I’d ever had a peaty whisky and it took a couple tries before I could appreciate the intricacies. I am now in love with it. My wife says it smells like diesel and makes faces at me when I drink it. 

Glenlivet 12- easy drinking. Got a little bit of a spice to it. But overall sweet and smooth.

Laphroig 10- this was the worst thing I’ve ever consumed. Wtf did they do, age it in cigarette butts? I’m not sure if I’m just being unfair here because I only drank it once (note- it did take me like 3 glasses of the Lagavulin before I decided I liked it). But I can’t see myself trying it again. Ugh. 

I'm not a fan of the peated scotches.  Don't Like Laphroig.  I prefer some of the nice Speysides.  Right now I'm sipping  Dalmore 12.  I also like the Glenmorangie Nectar d'Or.  The Glendronach 12 is nice as well.

I took the opportunity when I was in Scotland to edify myself.  I toured the Edradour distillery:

lMaw8UW.jpg

In addition to making their own, they also store and age whiskey for some other companies:

VApkeEx.jpg

T2TqTCX.jpg

The smell in the aging room is fantastic.

They also sold some really expensive scotch in their shop.  I wasn't willing to spend $5000 on a single bottle.

1Omk1Lp.jpg

Edited by China
  • Like 1