Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Liquor Thread

PokerPacker

2 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Not the Rye, but Bulleit in general is a higher rye content bourbon. I’m a fan. 

Yeah, much more to my tastes than knob creek

if you want a good rye at a higher price point try E H taylor jr straight rye

• Thanks 1

If you like hotter whiskey rye is a good way to go. Proof combined with age is a decent heat indicator but you will run into some big exceptions.  Generally the younger and higher the proof the hotter it is.  Age tends to mellow things and intensify flavor.  

If you really like heat though just pick up a Bookers and you’ll be happy. 

Edited by HOF44
  • Like 2

On 4/22/2020 at 8:46 AM, skinsfan_1215 said:

I’m going in the opposite direction, trying to get taste for bourbon at this point after drinking scotch for a few months. I’ve found I’m very hit or miss with it. Knob Creek is sickeningly sweet to me, got a bottle of that which I guess will be relegated to ****tails. Tried Bulleit the other night and really enjoyed it. Got a bit more spice to it and a very pleasant, drawn out burn on the backend. 

Open to other recommendations from you bourbon guys. Cheers! 

If we ever get over this crap and you happen to be close enough you’re welcome to come over and try a few different pours.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Found something to do with my bottle of Knob Creek that I wasn’t a huge fan of. Blended it with Bulleit Rye and ended up with something more akin to a rye-heavy bourbon. 

I messed around with a few mixes and settled on two parts Knob, one part rye. Then for good measure I tossed in a little well water to smooth it over. 8oz Knob Creek, 4oz Bulleit Rye, 1oz water into my decanter. End result is really smooth on the front end with some nice rye spice aftertaste. 

Might try this same mix with only 0.5oz water next time. Mine currently is right around 90 proof and I might have gone a hair too far with watering it down (for my taste). 

On 4/22/2020 at 12:27 AM, China said:

I may have found my new drink.  Somewhere between a Mudslide and an Aggravation:

1 shot Scotch

1 shot Kahlua

1 shot Bailey's Irish Cream

1 shot Half & Half

Poured over ice.

My go-to has been:

1 shot of Jameson Cold Brew

1 shot of Skrewball Peanut Butter Whiskey

1 shot Bailey's

1 shot of Heavy Cream or dairy of choice - this can be increased to 2 shots....I usually eyeball it

It tastes like a Peanut Butter White Russian

I also created a drink I call the Corona Cruise Boat involving an upside down shot of whiskey in a Corona beer....as you chug, the whiskey leaks out

Edited by Barry.Randolphe

58 minutes ago, KAOSkins said:

I'm tracking my bottle of Ardbeg 10 year and it's out for delivery.  Be enjoying a nice campfire this evening.  Since the last scotch post, I have tasted Hilghland Park 12 year, my buddy dropped off a sample of a bottle he got a the distillery.  Much prefer the islay smoke to the sweet malt.

Highland Park is on my list to try. What are your impressions compared to Lagavulin/Ardbeg or even something a little gamer like Caol Ila or Talisker? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Highland Park is on my list to try. What are your impressions compared to Lagavulin/Ardbeg or even something a little gamer like Caol Ila or Talisker? 

To be honest, I'm just know starting to try these high falutin single malt scotches.  So I can only compare it to the Lagavulin 16 and Laproigh 18 I've tried, and while it has a touch of smoke in it, it's almost inconsequential compared to the smoke in those two.  Much sweeter without the saltiness of the islays I've tried.  Not bad mind you, I just don't like it as much. 

Really hope the Ardbeg (which I'm buying (I should say receiving as a gift) partly on recommendation from this thread) is suitably campfirey.  I think it's going to be.

Edited by KAOSkins
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, KAOSkins said:

To be honest, I'm just know starting to try these high falutin single malt scotches.  So I can only compare it to the Lagavulin 16 and Laproigh 18 I've tried, and while it has a touch of smoke in it, it's almost inconsequential compared to the smoke in those two.  Much sweeter without the saltiness of the islays I've tried.  Not bad mind you, I just don't like it as much. 

Really hope the Ardbeg (which I'm buying (I should receiving as a gift) partly on recommendation from this thread) is suitably campfirey.  I think it's going to be.

You set a pretty high bar, with the Lagavulin 16 and the Laphroaig  18, but, if you like smokey/peaty scotch, you'll be extremely pleased with the Ardbeg 10. 

Please post after you've tried it.

30 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

8 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

You set a pretty high bar, with the Lagavulin 16 and the Laphroaig  18, but, if you like smokey/peaty scotch, you'll be extremely pleased with the Ardbeg 10. 

Please post after you've tried it.

I did not buy either of those two but was lucky enough to have two partial bottles given to me.  Not enough of the Lagavulin either, that went quick...love it.  Laproigh good but not as good IMO.  Will do on the Ardbeg.

Edited by KAOSkins

4 hours ago, KAOSkins said:

Really hope the Ardbeg (which I'm buying (I should say receiving as a gift) partly on recommendation from this thread) is suitably campfirey.  I think it's going to be.

You'll like the Ardbeg 10, I think.  You should look into the other Ardbegs, too.  Corryvreckan, I think might be a good choice.

Maybe look into Talisker Storm or even Dark Storm.

• Like 1