Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Liquor Thread

PokerPacker

America’s First Family of Bourbon: The Beams

James Beauregard Beam was distilling bourbon well before Prohibition, and when Prohibition ended, he was eager to do it again. At the news of Repeal, Jim Beam (as he was commonly known) turned to his son Jeremiah, his brother Park Beam and Park’s two sons, Carl and Earl, and said, “boys, time for us to get back to work.”

But the Beams were broke. Prohibition had not been kind to them. A family knack for success in the distilling business proved to be less than translatable to other endeavors, including a rock quarry and an orange grove. So, Jim had to scramble and find investors in Illinois to fund a new distillery. Once he got the money together, with his son and two nephews, they built a distillery in 120 days, doing a lot of the work themselves. Even though Jim was 70-years-old, he was on site every day. The new distillery opened on March 25, 1935. 

Before Prohibition, the Beam family brand had been Old Tub Bourbon Whiskey. To Jim’s dismay, he learned that the rights to the name had been sold during Prohibition. Despite this setback, he was undeterred and that’s when the whiskey officially became Jim Beam Bourbon. Real man; real whiskey; true story. 

It’s a great piece of whiskey history, but it’s only a small, small part of the Beams’ story. The family had a huge influence on distilling in America and helped build dozens of bourbon brands, including Maker’s Mark, Stitzel-Weller, Early Times, Four Roses, Michter’s, Barton, and, quite famously, Heaven Hill. 

The Beams can truly lay claim to being America’s first family of bourbon. Read on for more about the family’s incredible legacy.

Click on the link for the full article

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Pope Francis called Scotch ‘the real holy water’ in video—and the Vatican reportedly censored it

Pope Francis is caught on video calling Scotch “the real holy water.”

The video in question was part of a soon-to-be-released BBC documentary about seminarians at the Pontifical Scots College in Rome.

The footage showed the 83-year-old church head accepting the bottle of Oban 14 from the student priests during an event at the Apostolic Palace.

In a recent interview with New York Post, the documentary’s director Tony Kearney describes the pope as “down to earth.”

“He was really down to earth with them all [the student priests] and when they handed him the bottle, instead of just handing it to his assistant as he normally would with a gift,” Kearney told the newspaper. “He held it up and said ‘Questa e la vera acqua santa,’ which means ‘This is the real holy water.’”

Click on the link for the full article

• Haha 3

Not sure if it’s just in Virginia but scotch prices are through the roof since covid. I scored a bottle of Talisker on sale for $50 and Caol Ila for $65 right as the quarantine was starting. 

Those same bottles are now $73 and $82. 

Lagavulin 8 which has been a good budget option for me has gone from $50 to $59. 

Vabc says sales are up 75%

plus world wide supply chains are screwed so I’m sure scotch is going to be hit hard. 

crushed a bottle of blantons last Friday. Got carried away. Can never find that stuff around here :( now I’m out :( 

I rarely buy liquor, I'm mostly a beer and wine type of guy, with the occasional rum and coke.  But was feeling like some whiskey recently.  Went and got Stranahan's Diamond Peak single malt.  Whoa.  I hate to use the word smooth, feel like it is overused, but dang so nice.  I get kind of a butterscotch oak flavor.  Love it.

32 minutes ago, KAOSkins said:

So I talked about trying Laproigh 18yr a while back and how much of a campfire it was.  Today I tried, several times, Lagavulin 16yr.  Still campfire forward but a wonderful oily finish.  I'm sold <doh>.

Laphroaig is a bit over the top for me. I like Lagavulin.

I just picked up a bottle of Ardbeg and it’s heavier on the smoke than Lagavulin but much more drinkable than Laphroaig. Nicely balanced. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

God bless all you and your love of peet. To me it’s like licking an ash tray!!

I agree. Very few that I enjoy, and it is a rarity that I ever have it at all. I am more of a bourbon guy when it comes to whiskey/whisky. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

I agree. Very few that I enjoy, and it is a rarity that I ever have it at all. I am more of a bourbon guy when it comes to whiskey/whisky. 

I’m going in the opposite direction, trying to get taste for bourbon at this point after drinking scotch for a few months. I’ve found I’m very hit or miss with it. Knob Creek is sickeningly sweet to me, got a bottle of that which I guess will be relegated to ****tails. Tried Bulleit the other night and really enjoyed it. Got a bit more spice to it and a very pleasant, drawn out burn on the backend. 

Open to other recommendations from you bourbon guys. Cheers! 

8 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

I’m going in the opposite direction, trying to get taste for bourbon at this point after drinking scotch for a few months. I’ve found I’m very hit or miss with it. Knob Creek is sickeningly sweet to me, got a bottle of that which I guess will be relegated to ****tails. Tried Bulleit the other night and really enjoyed it. Got a bit more spice to it and a very pleasant, drawn out burn on the backend. 

Hmm, I don't think KB is so sweet, compared to something like Makers. I never drink Makers. 

Do you prefer the spicier, hotter flavor ? Sorry, you already answered that. 

Is that stuff in here where we talked about bourbon, or is that a dead thread? 

Edited by Kosher Ham
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Hmm, I don't think KB is so sweet, compared to something like Makers. I never drink Makers. 

Do you prefer the spicier, hotter flavor ? Sorry, you already answered that. 

Is that stuff in here where we talked about bourbon, or is that a dead thread? 

:ols: I like Makers better than Knob so I don’t know where I’ve gone wrong. But different category to me, it’s very easy to drink and smooth. 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Was the Bulleit ya tried the rye pictured?.....I like rye and favor high rye bourbons,haven't had that one.

ya might try Buffalo trace, my favorite cheaper one is old grandad 100pf bib

• Like 1

On 4/20/2020 at 10:49 PM, skinsfan_1215 said:

Laphroaig is a bit over the top for me. I like Lagavulin.

I just picked up a bottle of Ardbeg and it’s heavier on the smoke than Lagavulin but much more drinkable than Laphroaig. Nicely balanced. 

Which one? 

When I drink Scotch,  my "go-to" is Ardbeg 10 year. I've tried the On Oa, but it's not worth the extra $$

1 hour ago, HOF44 said:

Me too!  Love my bourbon. 

Really??

59 minutes ago, dchogs said:

if you like the burn, look for the higher alcohol content.  bottled in bond varieties typically kick it up over 100 proof.  just finished a bottle of wild turkey rare breed that was solid.

Bottled in Bond is bottled at exactly 100 proof, by law. 

Agreed, Rare Breed is solid, but I'm biased, because I love WIld Turkey, especially the 101 and the Kentucky Spirit.

24 minutes ago, twa said:

Was the Bulleit ya tried the rye pictured?.....I like rye and favor high rye bourbons,haven't had that one.

ya might try Buffalo trace, my favorite cheaper one is old grandad 100pf bib

Not the Rye, but Bulleit in general is a higher rye content bourbon. I’m a fan. 

2 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Which one? 

When I drink Scotch,  my "go-to" is Ardbeg 10 year. I've tried the On Oa, but it's not worth the extra $$

Really??

Yeah just their 10. I think that’s going to be my default Islay scotch going forward. Love it. Going to pick up an Uigeadail at some point. Heard good things.