Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Liquor Thread

PokerPacker

The Best Whiskey In The World Is Canadian. Again.

Every year, famed whiskey writer Jim Murray trots out the newest version of his Whisky Bible. It’s a comprehensive guide to everything Murray has tasted over the year—that’s 4,500 drams in 2020 alone. He lists his top picks and culls and revisits bottles from previous years.

One of the most anticipated (and hotly debated) parts of the book’s annual release is Murray’s top bottles of the year, and ultimately, his unveiling of the World Whisky of the Year.

Canada took the crown this year, specifically, the “rampantly beautiful” Alberta Premium Cask Strength Rye. At 65.1% ABV, the 100% prairie rye is made in Calgary, Alberta at Alberta Distillers. (The brand in the Beam Suntory stable and provides whisk(e)y for Whistle Pig and Masterson’s.)

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

Also taking top honors, the “mind-blowing” Stagg Jr. Barrel Proof earned second place (from the Buffalo Trace family), while Paul John Mithuna earned third.

The latter is particularly notable. Paul John is a small distillery from Goa, a coastal state in India. It’s the first time in a decade a South Asian whiskey has made the podium, and a big moment for the Indian whisky scene.

Speyside’s Glen Grant 1956 Mr George Centenary Edition Gordon & MacPhail is this year’s best single cask. 

Click on the link for the full article

Edit:  BTW, I just checked and the Glen Grant 1956 is going for a little over $8700 a bottle, if you can find it.

Edited by China

So....blasphemy or brilliance?  My new bourbon drinking vessel is a Yeti tumbler. 

https://www.yeti.com/en_US/drinkware/rambler-10-oz-lowball/21090000053.html#start=1

It keeps **** cold indefinitely, and is unbreakable, and I do most of my drinking these days outside on my driveway since I don’t have a yard and must be outside as much as possible due to debilitating and chronic cabin fever. My driveway has already broken like 6 glasses, several plates, 2 iPads, and one child’s cranium. This just makes sense, right?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

So....blasphemy or brilliance?  My new bourbon drinking vessel is a Yeti tumbler. 

https://www.yeti.com/en_US/drinkware/rambler-10-oz-lowball/21090000053.html#start=1

It keeps **** cold indefinitely, and is unbreakable, and I do most of my drinking these days outside on my driveway since I don’t have a yard and must be outside as much as possible due to debilitating and chronic cabin fever. My driveway has already broken like 6 glasses, several plates, 2 iPads, and one child’s cranium. This just makes sense, right?

Its all good as long as you don't use it in front of company.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

So an adult sippy cup?

• Haha 1

Neighbor/friend got a big promotion (to Navy Commander) so we (the other guy neighbors) are pitching in to get him a nice bottle of bourbon.  It just happens to coincide with my having to go into my DC office for the first time since February, so I am heading to the DuPont liquor palace that @HOF44 recommended a while back this afternoon.  If anyone has any suggestions for a "special occasion gift" bottle around $200, please let me know.   

Edited by PleaseBlitz

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Neighbor/friend got a big promotion (to Navy Commander) so we (the other guy neighbors) are pitching in to get him a nice bottle of bourbon.  It just happens to coincide with my having to go into my DC office for the first time since February, so I am heading to the DuPont liquor palace that @HOF44 recommended a while back this afternoon.  If anyone has any suggestions for a "special occasion gift" bottle around $200, please let me know.   

Get one or two fo the store picks he will have there.  Nothing will approach those for that money.  I recommend his High West Snoop pick.  It's amazingly good although it is a rye not bourbon.  If you really want bourbon, he has a Makers pick that is awesome too. But he may be out of those.  If you want to spend a bit more He has a Bowman Censored pick that is one of the best I've had.  Also he usually has some opens you can give a try.

Edited by HOF44
  • Like 3