Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Liquor Thread

PokerPacker

40 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

I've been doing some homework because I Want to get into harder liqours (mainly been drinking beer and wine) and want a stronger buzz

What bourbons or other types of liqour would yall recommend

And would you take it straight up or mixed? Tell me everything 😆🤔

Start with a little ice.  Then transition to neat.  That’s the route most people go. 

McKenna 10 Year Bourbon

Pikesville Rye

Angels Envy Bourbon

Old Grandad Bourbon.

Woodford Rye

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

Start with a little ice.  Then transition to neat.  That’s the route most people go. 

McKenna 10 Year Bourbon

Pikesville Rye

Angels Envy Bourbon

Old Grandad Bourbon.

Woodford Rye

Yep thanks. I've been doing research this morning and I am entry level so I'll start with mixing and then when I start buying the more expensive whiskeys that's the ones to drink streaight. I've been looking into ginger ale and whiskey too. I'm pretty open minded at this point as long as I get drunk :)

9 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Yep thanks. I've been doing research this morning and I am entry level so I'll start with mixing and then when I start buying the more expensive whiskeys that's the ones to drink streaight. I've been looking into ginger ale and whiskey too. I'm pretty open minded at this point as long as I get drunk :)

You want cheap and good? 

Old Grandad, which Bob already mentioned.   Old Granddad 114 is even better, and doesn't cost that much more.   Wild Turkey 101, Evan Williams Bottled-in-Bond, Four Roses Yellow label.  There's a ****-ton more, but these are a good start

Also just as a general primer in drinking high proof spirits, you’re first glass of the day will give your palate an alcohol shock.  It will be hot and you won’t pick up a lot of flavors. When we pick barrels we taste like 6.  The first one we always come back to after trying them all because it doesn’t get a fair shot being first. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

Also just as a general primer in drinking high proof spirits, you’re first glass of the day will give your palate an alcohol shock.  It will be hot and you won’t pick up a lot of flavors. When we pick barrels we taste like 6.  The first one we always come back to after trying them all because it doesn’t get a fair shot being first. 

Don't listen to this guy.

Chug that ****, whip the empty glass at a wall, then find a wine-drinker and kick his ass.

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

You want cheap and good? 

Old Grandad, which Bob already mentioned.   Old Granddad 114 is even better, and doesn't cost that much more.   Wild Turkey 101, Evan Williams Bottled-in-Bond, Four Roses Yellow label.  There's a ****-ton more, but these are a good start

I would be remiss if we were talking good-and-cheap bourbon without a shout-out to Larceny.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

I would be remiss if we were talking good-and-cheap bourbon without a shout-out to Larceny.

True...there are a lot of good and cheap bourbons out there.  Biggest bang for the buck?  Old Forester 100, Old Grandad 114, Fighting ****, Elijah Craig,  Jim Beam Bonded, etc... 

Just now, Skinsfan1311 said:

True...there are a lot of good and cheap bourbons out there.  Biggest bang for the buck?  Old Forester 100, Old Grandad 114, Fighting ****, Elijah Craig,  Jim Beam Bonded, etc... 

But my motto is life is to short for cheap bourbon!!

• Like 2

Just now, HOF44 said:

But my motto is life is to short for cheap bourbon!!

Fact:  I've seen one of your bar tabs and your bunker, neither of which were/are cheap....

You have to admit, even though I'm the cheapest **** that you know, I have been know to drop a few bucks on good alcohol...

1 minute ago, PokerPacker said:

My motto in life is
i-love-scotch.jpg

That's always cracked me up.

They say that scotch is "an acquired taste"   I say, "if it's an acquired taste, then it must have tasted like **** in the first place!"

Well....I definitely acquired a taste for scotch, a few years back.  I'm partial to those Islay single-malt peat bombs but have been, albeit slowly, branching out and trying different ones, that aren't so peaty...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, China said:

If you think 750 mL of Maker's is steep then don't develop a taste for single malt scotch.

Yes the single malts are supposedly expensive because they aren't blended with other products

I

m not looking to spend too much right now.

I also like how I'm doing right now since I mixed the MAkers with ginger ale. I'm not feeling sick like I used to feel after drinking straight liqour. I just tihnk my body always needed it diluated.

Just now, ixcuincle said:

Yes the single malts are supposedly expensive because they aren't blended with other products

No, they're not expensive because they're not blended.  They're expensive because they're aged 10 years or more (usually 12 years).  The cost for storing that long and the amount lost to evaporation (angel's share) drives the prices up.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, China said:

No, they're not expensive because they're not blended.  They're expensive because they're aged 10 years or more (usually 12 years).  The cost for storing that long and the amount lost to evaporation (angel's share) drives the prices up.

Well, not all of them are aged that long.  I just picked up some Ardbeg Wee Beastie last week which is a 5-year Scotch.  Granted it is cheaper than their older Scotches.

17 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

If you mix your bourbon with ginger ale, just buy Beam. Or Old Crow. 🤮

Personally, I use Ezra Brooks for my mixer.  Not gonna be confused with a high end bourbon, but better than a $13 bottle should be.