Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Liquor Thread

PokerPacker

2 hours ago, KAOSkins said:

I got the Ardbeg and it's very nice, well worth it. Props for the recommendation.  Campfirey as I could want with a better aftertaste than the Laproigh.  I like the Lagavulin a little better, that oilyness is awesome.

I knew that you would like it.

I'm a bourbon guy, but I always have at least 4 bottles of Scotch on hand, currently Laphroaig 10yr, Laphroaig 10yr cask strength, (a gift), Lagavulin 16 yr and, always, a bottle of Ardbeg 10yr.  

My favorite,  depends on my mood.  I love the Lagavulin 16, but it costs around $90.00 in my neck of the woods, so I rarely buy it.  Ardbeg & Laphroaig 10 are more in my price range.   I always come back to the Ardbeg 10yr...it's perfectly suited to my palate and reasonably priced.

Cheers!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KAOSkins said:

Why I got the Ardbeg 10 and why I didn't pay for those others.   I will be forking over the cash for another bottle of the Lagavulin 16.  That's my favorite, so far.

Dammit Man! 

All this scotch talk made me succumb to peer pressure.

Just poured a glass of the Lagavulin.

Cheers!

20200514_223241.jpg

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, KAOSkins said:

Why I got the Ardbeg 10 and why I didn't pay for those others.   I will be forking over the cash for another bottle of the Lagavulin 16.  That's my favorite, so far.

Try Lagavulin 8 if you haven’t yet. 

Lagavulin is my favorite Islay scotch and they make a fine younger whisky at half the price of the 16. 

• Like 2

On 5/14/2020 at 11:08 PM, skinsfan_1215 said:

Try Lagavulin 8 if you haven’t yet. 

Lagavulin is my favorite Islay scotch and they make a fine younger whisky at half the price of the 16. 

Quoting myself simply because I’m several drinks in and just switched over to Lagavulin and goddamn this is a fine whisky. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today I finally got my hands on a bottle of Virginia Distillery Company’s newly released flagship American Single Malt whisky: Courage and Conviction. 

I live not too far from them and have been eagerly anticipating this release. Really cool story behind their origin and what they are trying to do with distilling a premium American single malt. It’s a small but growing segment of american whisky and they have spared no expense. 

https://vadistillery.com/courage-and-conviction

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So for the last 8 years I’ve been drinking Makers as my go-to booze. I don’t know why I picked it, probably reputation and the strength of the brand. Certainly I really like it, but last weekend, because I am a nerd, bored and wanted to break the monotony, I conducted a scientific blind taste test of all the mass market bourbons. 

I typically drink Old Fashioneds, so i made a big batch of the sugars and bitters, weighed out with a gram scale, and put an equal amount in each glass (also to the gram) so the only difference would be the type of bourbon. I had my wife weigh out the bourbon and mix it up so i had no idea which was which. I drank each one (not a full glass, like 1/3 of a full ****tail so i wasn’t totally annihilated by the end. 

The results. I could recognize immediately the one with Makers, which i like, possibly due to familiarity. The other 2 winners were the Bullit and Woodford Double Oak. I did not like the Knob Creek or the Basil Haydens. I know from prior experience that I like Basil’s a lot when i drink it neat. 

D72FF379-3F64-4DDC-BA84-A81B756AFCA3.jpeg

51 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

It would be much more accurate to say they are owned by the same folks. They are not made by the same folks. 

We need to get you drinking Private Picks neat.  Leave that shelf stuff behind. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...