Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 - 18 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

Trotz HAS to go. Play a perfect road game until you get a 2 goal lead. Then turtle. That’s coaching. Outshot like 31-3 after Carlson goal. And now in OT our D can’t figure out how to actually guard anyone. OT is man on man, and Orlov covered NO ONE. That leaves an open guy. 

I don't care if Trotz stays or goes, but what's really going to change with another new coach? We have two rookie defensemen (I think they are playing better) and Brooks Orpik plus 3 guys that are hit and miss but relied on to be a top pair. In the last 20 games Oshie has one goal and Kuzy has 3 goals. Yeah, I would love actual "fresh eyes" on this team and a coach with a Stanley Cup, but ultimately a lot of this is on the players. 

As for tonight, on the tying goal at the end of the game it should have been interference on the Jets. They had a guy literally blocking I think Orlov from getting to the guy with the puck. 

New eyes and maybe a different game plan could help? Turtle for the last 10 minutes, then Trotz had PP1 (Ovie) on the ice for the final minute, with a 1 goal lead?? If Beagle was healthy he needed to be out there, Wilson, and 2 defenders.. Nicky should of been out there, but he choked up the puck behind the net, then made a half ass attempt at getting to/clearing the puck with 20 seconds to play. Lots of fail to go around though.. Getting hemmed into their own zone for 10, 20 minutes at a time is getting old. They don't even try to use the wall anymore. Just flip the puck to the middle, regardless if there's someone there to pass it to or not.. Just seems like they lose most every battle when it comes time to work.. They're pretty good at the pretty stuff, but hard work doesn't seem to compute.. That has to be on the coach at some point. 

Did Beags come back out after the slash to the ribs? He was in some serious pain it appeared.. The more I look at that, it should of at the least been a double minor, if not a penalty shot. He beat Buff and was off.. When there's no goalie, I think it could also be called an instant goal, if I'm not mistaken? Anyway, hope Beags is ok.. They need to figure out the 60 minute game here shortly though. 

11 hours ago, Springfield said:

I think that the roster with Ovie, Backstrom, Semin, Liach, Green, et al was loaded and it’s not really close.

2009 for instance:

Ovie 109

Backstrom 101

Semin 84

Green 76

Liach 59

Knuble 53

Flieshmann 51

Morrison 42

Fehr 39

They rolled everyone.  That’s the what if roster for me.

They weren't more talented than the last two seasons when you include the defense and Holtby's performance. 

Outside of Mike Green I'm not sure there was a defender on that team who was in the league two years later.  Maybe Schultz now and again but that was it.

12 hours ago, c slag said:

I  really thought last spring after defeating Pitt in game 6 on the road the Capitals would finally break through 

As soon as they fell behind 1-0 in game 7 eveybody on earth knew it was over 

I thought there was still a chance.  The Fluery save on Ovechkin when the puck hit the top of his stick handle did it for me.  That was just dumb ****ing luck.

After that I was just like - oh here we go.

I was in the middle east for that one, woke up at like 2am and just sat there calm as could be.  I didn't expect us to win and I think I've been apathetic since.

1 hour ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Trotz needs to go. He is not the coach to lift us to a Cup or get anywhere close. And if you need proof of what a coaching change can do look at Pittsburgh with Mike Sullivan.

Not just with Sullivan, but they did the same thing back in the 2008-2009 season when they replaced Michel Therrien with Dan Bylsma and went on to win the Cup that year.

On 2/12/2018 at 5:32 PM, Popeman38 said:

According to the CSN postgame show, players said Holtby lit into the team, ripping them for their play in the 2nd period.

I fell asleep at 3-1.  Did the post game folks have anything to say last night?

58 minutes ago, DC9 said:

I fell asleep at 3-1.  Did the post game folks have anything to say last night?

I turned the TV off as soon as the OT goal was scored.  Still pissed that Buff didn't get match penalty, the ref didn't award the ENG, the refs swallowed the whistle on the Orlov getting interfered with to create a scoring chance, and Trotz didn't challenge for tender interference.

https://www.nhl.com/video/scheifeles-clutch-game-tying-shg/t-293978416/c-57727803

But Trotz needs to go. You can turtle up 2 with 2:00 to go and survive just dumping the puck at the red line. You WILL NOT survive turtling with 12:00 left and dumping the puck from the red line. Which is what he made the team do. STEP ON THEIR ****ING THROATS. Instead, we dump and get out-chanced 31-6 in the last 12 minutes. They have to take chances - pinch at the blue line, have their D fly the zone looking to create odd man rushes.  You counter attack that with odd man rushes, not skating to the red line and dumping. He will continue to do **** like this and shortening the bench in the playoffs. Chiasson for Vrana on a hunch? Think we could have used that speed and those hands last night?

Fire him.

That's been his game since he's been here really and it's become habitual in the players.  It's very upsetting to think we have to sit through this for the playoffs again.

It's like the beginning of the 2015 Redskins season when we thought RG3 was going to be the starter.  At least give us something interesting or new to watch.

And to answer @Hersh's question about why... I've said that I doubt it changes anything, but it might work.  I'm confident that Trotz won't work.  A new voice or a new way of saying something could mean the world to players.  Especially when you have some silverware to show off for it.  Do you honestly think the players believe Trotz is going to get them where they want to go?  They're clearly going through the motions right now and that's evident in their play and really has been off and on all season.

Totally OT, but can someone tell me what is wrong with the Edmonton Oilers this year? I checked the standings and was totally shocked to see them in the basement of the Western Conference. Weren't they the team loaded with young talent on the verge of becoming hockey's next superpower? Is McDavid out or something? Shocking to me. 

3 hours ago, Mournblade said:

Totally OT, but can someone tell me what is wrong with the Edmonton Oilers this year? I checked the standings and was totally shocked to see them in the basement of the Western Conference. Weren't they the team loaded with young talent on the verge of becoming hockey's next superpower? Is McDavid out or something? Shocking to me. 

Defense and goaltending. You aren’t going to win needing to score 5 every game. 

1 hour ago, Popeman38 said:

Defense and goaltending. You aren’t going to win needing to score 5 every game. 

Oh. Thanks. It would be shame if the Oilers squander McDavid like the Caps squandered OV.

Hope it doesn't happen, but given the Oilers front office it wouldn't surprise me. 

16 hours ago, c slag said:

I believe this is the final year of Barry Trotz contract and without a deep playoff run- it could possibly hinge on a finals appearance -may not even be offered an extension 

Well ****, all the more reason to let it ride with someone else.

7 hours ago, pjfootballer said:

They also traded away a ton of that young talent and didn’t get anything worth a crap in return.

We were all in the last two years.... and we lost.

Usually that costs jobs and stuff - hence "All in."

I mean, that's like racing for pinks right?

portrait.jpg

3-0 lead....DON’T TURTLE!!!!!!

6 hours ago, DC9 said:

Ohhhhh.... My point still stands!

They really should desolve the Oilers at this point.

They were on the way up. Had a ton of talent, but lacked in the blue line. Then they just started trading away their goal scorers and got nothing in return. 

Archived