Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 - 18 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

Figured trading goals would eventually bite em'.. Speed kills     the Caps.  Gruby was shaky too, but they just got outplayed. How many shots did we have in the 3rd? 3 or 4 maybe? Not good enough on any end of the ice.. And the odd 3 goal game w/o earning a point. 2 in a row actually..  Leading the metro while still sniffing an early tee time come the playoffs! lol 

8 minutes ago, maxspruill21 said:

Ugh. I’m a depressed Washington fan once again. Get sweeped by a Vegas expansion team. SMH

This is not some ordinary expansion team. The NHL will definitely be modifying how it’s done in the future. Of course it doesn’t help when the Caps hand them a really solid defenseman. 

1 minute ago, Hersh said:

This is not some ordinary expansion team. The NHL will definitely be modifying how it’s done in the future. Of course it doesn’t help when the Caps hand them a really solid defenseman. 

Yeah I heard something that it was done different for Vegas. What gives? Nate looked good out there today, I was hoping Bowey would step up more in his absence. 

Caps missed chances today too but I can’t help but still be annoyed the Caps gave up Schmidt. Even if they took Niskanen or Orlov or Carlson, that would have been fine. Just don’t give up a young up and coming speed defenseman.

BTW, I do think it was actually goalie interference on the last goal. I’m not upset by them ruling it a good goal but the contact definitely seemed to prevent him from having balance to reach his glove out. 

Frustrating run of play for the Caps.

Ted punted on the year, we put all of our ammo into winning the last two years and one team in the league did it better and they won both times.

We seem content with Trotz, who is out of ideas.

But one thing gave me a glimmer of hope today - and that was Joe B was VERY negative on the team in the post gamer.  Usually when he's had it the coach gets it soon.  At least from what I've noticed.

No one wanted Trotz to be coach here more than me.  I begged for him for two years before we got him.  You know what?  It didn't work.

Hire Sutter.  It probably won't work either.  But he's won a cup.  It'll change the teams dynamic up.  And you will be able to say that you gave it a good go for Ovi.

49 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Frustrating run of play for the Caps.

Ted punted on the year, we put all of our ammo into winning the last two years and one team in the league did it better and they won both times.

We seem content with Trotz, who is out of ideas.

But one thing gave me a glimmer of hope today - and that was Joe B was VERY negative on the team in the post gamer.  Usually when he's had it the coach gets it soon.  At least from what I've noticed.

No one wanted Trotz to be coach here more than me.  I begged for him for two years before we got him.  You know what?  It didn't work.

Hire Sutter.  It probably won't work either.  But he's won a cup.  It'll change the teams dynamic up.  And you will be able to say that you gave it a good go for Ovi.

I don't get the post game in Raleigh. What was being said?

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

I don't get the post game in Raleigh. What was being said?

Just that he thought the Caps were in control the whole game and never thought they'd lose.  He said that he was disappointed in how they essentially gave up after Backstrom's goal because they didn't have a shot for like 10 minutes after that and that it was reoccurring.

Usually Joe B is very subtle about his complaining, but when he says that it's bad.  He would usually take the Locker approach and just credit the other team or the "hot goalie" or the "unlucky bounces," but today he was pissed.

He even brought up that Vegas has played 3 games in the last 3 and a half days and that they were dropping the puck at 930 am Vegas time and the Caps should've jumped them.

2 hours ago, DC9 said:

Not sure they have the bodies/heart to play Sutter hockey.. Would love to see them give it a shot though. If they see a similar playoff fate, hopefully they change it up. Never know with Ted at the helm.

Just now, GoDeep81 said:

Not sure they have the bodies/heart to play Sutter hockey.. Would love to see them give it a shot though. If they see a similar playoff fate, hopefully they change it up. Never know with Ted at the helm.

Yeah I don't think they do either.  But they should try.  And I would do it now.  We're about to slip down the standings in the next couple of weeks.

The only way I keep Trotz around is if he's good at player development.  Seeing how he shuffles the kids in and out of the line up and up and down the lines I'm not sure how anyone could make that argument.

Things I want this offseason:

1) no more 44

2) no more 74

3) trade 31 for a pick

I officially hate Vegas. For taking 88 and because they are too good for an expansion team. I hope they get b****-slapped in the playoffs. 

3 hours ago, Hersh said:

Caps missed chances today too but I can’t help but still be annoyed the Caps gave up Schmidt. Even if they took Niskanen or Orlov or Carlson, that would have been fine. Just don’t give up a young up and coming speed defenseman.

I’m still pissed about Schmidt. 

Agree with all of your post.

4 hours ago, pjfootballer said:

Things I want this offseason:

1) no more 44

2) no more 74

And who is going to replace them?  I'll give you Orpik could use a younger replacement (maybe Siegenthaler is ready for some time with the big boys), but who is going to step into Carlson's role and be an improvement?

9 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

And who is going to replace them?  I'll give you Orpik could use a younger replacement (maybe Siegenthaler is ready for some time with the big boys), but who is going to step into Carlson's role and be an improvement?

Orpik and his slow feet and huge salary need to go.  Replace with a youngster.

Carlson is a bit harder because he does run the PP on the point.  I'm not sure exactly who would be available, but I think someone mentioned Mike Green being a possibility of coming back (not sure if it would be possible as I don't get into contract stuff in the NHL). But then Green would be about the same as Carlson on defense.

Orlov would have the skill to run the PP, but he's even worse on defense then Carlson.  We'd give up so many SHGs if Orlov ran the PP.

I just tire watching us give up odd man rushes and guys wide open all the time. They need to shake up the blue line. Guess I was just frustrated with the game a bit and losing yet again to Vegas.  They are too good for an expansion team. 

3 hours ago, pjfootballer said:

Orlov would have the skill to run the PP, but he's even worse on defense then Carlson.  We'd give up so many SHGs if Orlov ran the PP.

Orlov's problem on the PP is that he's left-handed which does not work well with the "let Ovie do his thing that always works" plan.

Archived