Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 - 18 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

56 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I heard mumblings of Mike Green.  Thoughts?

I think Green could be dynamic with this team.  He seems to have found a great balance of offense and defense in Detroit, and his skating is back to being superb.  Paired with Orpik, he would provide the puck mover needed on the 3rd pairing. And he isn't bumping a dynamic player like Schmidt, he would bump Bowey back to Hershey.  As an added bonus, he could slot in on the point for PP1 and bump Carlson down to PP2.  Ovie was DEADLY with Green feeding him, and Carlson tries to do his brain fart no look pass to Ovie constantly. Carlson also has a windup that gives defenders the chance to close the gap, and Green never had that issue. Green was a few years ahead of his time.  His 2008-09 season of 31G, 42A, 73Pts, +24 (in 62 games!) should have won him the Norris Trophy.  Erik Karlsson won it in 2012-13 with a season of 21G, 45A, 66Pts, +7 in 82 games.  He is no worse of a TO machine (his overbearing criticism in his time here) than John Carlson is.  In fact, I posit that swapping Carlson for Green straight up would be net positive.  Carlson is not an offensive producer like Green (I know he is having a better offensive season than green this year), and their defensive weaknesses are very similar, and their TOI is not that much different (3:30).

However, Green has ~$3M remaining for this year and the Caps have just under $2M in cap space.  I just don't see it happening without shipping out someone like Burt, and I'm not giving him away for a 2 month rental.

10 hours ago, GoDeep81 said:

Yea, it took Caps management most of Ovie's career to realize hockey is a full team sport. And even when you think you have all the pieces in place, a little bad luck or mental lapse can wreck the year. Caps are due some good luck. Hopefully it'll show up in my lifetime.   

Or bad coaching decisions. Trotz made this team a 4 line machine his first 3 years here.  They rolled 4 lines and physically punished teams.  Playoffs roll around and he basically shelves the 4th line, and only uses 3rd line guys on the PK and when recovering from a PP.  Rolled 2-1/2 lines against the Pens.  By game 6 the top lines are dead. Roll your heavies and punish the defenders on the forecheck.  Don't bench Connolly and complain about secondary scoring. My full expectations come the playoffs this year is to see 8-19-77 followed by 65-92-43.  After that, we will see 20 rotate in and give the top 2 a break every now and then, same for 83.  39 only has a chance to see the ice on the PK, and maybe a shift directly after an unsuccessful PP. 10 will be a healthy scratch because why would you dress a 20G scorer? For some reason, he will dress 4 and he will have 5:15 TOI.  Only 11 forwards will dress, and the TOI for the 3 wings on the 3rd and 4th line will combine for 10:01 TOI. First round will be OK, second round the legs start to go for the top 6.  Shockingly, when the 3rd line gets rolled out in game 5 of the 2nd round, there is no chemistry because they haven't skated a shift together since game 82. Trotz will then bench them and roll 2 lines. Lose in 6.

I NEED BROWN LIQUOR!!! 

Well, Flyers came out strong. Way too many odd many breaks. 

Caps should’ve had over a minute of 5-3. Not sure there could be a more blatant hook on Oshie when he was all alone in front of the net. Terrible missed call 

Yeah, 5 Pens PP to 1 for the Caps. Must be nice to know you’re gonna get home cooking. Wilson gets 2 for “roughing” for a clean check with puck at feet. Bowey gets 2 for “tripping” by skating and having a player skate backwards into him as he goes past. Meanwhile Reeves gets to blindside anyone who steps to the crease with the puck nowhere within 25’. Nary a call. 

And now that the competitive part of the game is over, we’ll make some calls to even it out. 

Also, you don’t sit Vrana for Chiasson. Ever. Trots needs to realize you need speed to win in the NHL. Chiasson is the weakest skater on offense and it isn’t really close. 

AND the Pens literally hogtie Kuzy for 15 seconds with no call. And Orlov gets checked  on icing, no call. And Burt gets Ross checked to the face, no call. 

They didn't play nearly good enough to sniff a win, but that officiating.. Yikes.. Pens home cooking isn't even debatable.

I'd rather lose to them in the regs anyway. Maybe (MAYBE) it'll inspire them if they get a 3rd shot at em' in the playoffs?? Though it'll probably just make them turtle sooner. One can hope though! lol 

Archived