Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Sewer That Is The GOP: With All The White Supremacists, Conspiracy Nutters, And Other Malicious Whacko Subgroups, How Does It Get Fixed?

Jumbo

Problem with ratings like those?  What they are, is a point scale of judging how well the target does at doing things that the author thinks are important.  

For example, a lot of ranking of national healthcare, gives a lot of points to countries that have universal single payer.  

16 minutes ago, Larry said:

Problem with ratings like those?  What they are, is a point scale of judging how well the target does at doing things that the author thinks are important.  

For example, a lot of ranking of national healthcare, gives a lot of points to countries that have universal single payer.  

Or.... Arkansas. Come on, bro. 

• Haha 5

The Lost Boys of the American Right

It keeps happening. Since the ascendance of Donald Trump, with depressing regularity, right-wing men have been outed for using the most vile rhetoric. In private chats and sometimes in full view of the public on social media, they’ll engage in blatantly racist, sexist and homophobic speech, flirt with fascist imagery and then often disavow their words and actions the instant they’re caught.

The examples are legion, and they’re not coming from fringe outlets on the American right. For example, last month, the Ron DeSantis campaign parted ways with a young speechwriter named Nate Hochman who reportedly inserted a Nazi sonnenrad symbol into a pro-DeSantis video online. Hochman was previously under fire for telling Nick Fuentes, a notorious white supremacist, that Fuentes was “probably a better influence” than the conservative political commentator Ben Shapiro “on young men who might otherwise be conservative.”

In comments about the conversation, Hochman responded, “I said some really stupid things, which I don’t actually believe, that signaled agreement with Fuentes, even though I couldn’t disagree more with his vision of the world.” Roughly a year after that incident, according to Axios, he created the sonnenrad video.

Was Hochman fringe? Hardly. Before he joined the DeSantis campaign, he worked as a staff writer at National Review and interned at The Dispatch, where I worked as a senior editor before joining The New York Times. He even once wrote for The Times.

Hochman is not alone. In June the right-wing publication Breitbart published group chats and private messages from Pedro Gonzalez, a popular online influencer and DeSantis supporter, which included comments like “Whites are the only hope nonwhites have of living civilized lives” and “The only tactical consideration of Jews is screening them for movements,” along with a host of other comments not suitable for a family publication.

This month HuffPost reported that Richard Hanania, an influential anti-woke writer, published a series of pseudonymous posts at racist publications in the late 2000s and early 2010s. In a Substack post he rejected his old comments, but close observers of his contemporary work were hardly surprised by the revelations. Just this past May, for example, he posted in a thread on crime that America needs “more policing, incarceration, and surveillance of Black people.”

The September issue of The Atlantic contains Graeme Wood’s fascinating and disturbing profile of a man named Costin Alamariu, better known online as Bronze Age Pervert, who has a cult following among the young right. Alamariu argues, writes Wood, “that the natural and desirable condition of life is the domination of the weak and ugly by the strong and noble. He considers American cities a ‘wasteland’ run by Jews and Black people, though the words he uses to denote these groups are considerably less genteel than these.” (Alamariu has claimed to be Jewish, and Hochman was raised Jewish as well.)

Terrible stuff. And even more terrible is the realization that I could fill this entire column with other examples of right-wing bigotry, from Christian nationalists, a former Trump speechwriter, a former Daily Caller editor and one of Tucker Carlson’s former top writers. And this is hardly a complete list. The problem is so widespread that Aaron Sibarium, a rising star reporter for The Washington Free Beacon, recently posted, “Whenever I’m on a career advice panel for young conservatives, I tell them to avoid group chats that use the N-word or otherwise blur the line between edgelording and earnest bigotry.”

What is going on? Why are parts of the right — especially the young right — so infested with outright racists and bigots?

Click on the link for more

• Thumb down 1

You court fascists by espousing fascist views and you end up with a party of fascists. 

What the hell is so hard to get? I guess now we are to the point where we will pretend to be shocked by this even though its been happening right out in the open. 

Oh my gosh! How did this happen? Where is it coming from?

The questions are

Why did so many hide their heads and help legitimize this when it was so ****ing obvious?

How do we fight against terrorists for literally 40+ years and not see the same exact radicalization happening RIGHT ON TELEVISION for DECADES?

Why didn't we fight back when we saw it ?

Why did we let it grow to the point where it is literally ready to topple our country?

Weak. Toothless. Ignorant. Faith that doing nothing but playing at "logic" will "wake these people up"

Get it. They have been woken up. This is who they are. 

And this problem wont go away quietly.

Maybe in another ten years we can write an article about what happened as a result of this ignorance.

If we're allowed.

~Bang

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

It's not Tommy though all by himself.  The Senate can change the rules and push all these people through.  They just have to change the rules which may take 3 or 4 days. 

There's 99 Senators who think that preserving the ability of one grossly wrong Senator to hold up the Senate is worth preserving. 

I am not sure why Dem Senators didn't push through this after a couple months.  Tommy boy is holding up pay raises as well.  Why would you not care thar you are financially screwing these government employees?

Schumer's like, "Oh that's Mitch's issue..." 

Mitch is like, "I don't want to kneecap Tommy.  I need Tommy on my side."

I think now they all pretty much think it will get dealt with during the budget stuff...

• Like 2

Please get Paxton out of Texas government. Into prison would be nice. 

As an aside, his wife must have forgiven him this affair, at least she's supporting his non conviction in the Texas Senate where she's a sitting state senator. I think I heard that she's recused herself from that conviction vote.

• Like 1