Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What was your favorite film of 1987?

Ron78

What was your favorite film of 1987?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What was your favorite film of 1987?

• Fatal Attraction
    • Beverly Hills Cop II
    • Good Morning, Vietnam
    • Moonstruck
    • The Untouchables
    • The Secret of My Success
    • Stakeout
    • Lethal Weapon
    • The Witches of Eastwick
    • Dirty Dancing
    • Predator
    • Throw Momma From the Train
    • La Bamba
    • Robocop
    • Broadcast News
    • The Living Daylights
    • Planes, Trains and Automobiles
    • Full Metal Jacket
    • The Last Emperor
    • Wall Street
    • The Running Man
    • Spaceballs
    • The Princess Bride
    • Evil Dead 2
    • Other

In 1987, I was a junior high school, and I was far too busy chasing girls to give a damn about movies. :)

However, I eventually came around to watching most of these on the list. 

What a strong year. Really a toss up between Robocop, the Untouchables and Full Metal Jacket.

I'm going to have to go with Robocop, a little jewel of a movie. Still looks as sharp today as it did back then.

2nd is the Untouchables, with Bobby D. in his prime. Also a very good year for comedies -- Throw Momma from the Train would be 3rd. 

6 minutes ago, Keith Huddleston said:

In 1987, I was a junior high school, and I was far too busy chasing girls to give a damn about movies. :)

However, I eventually came around to watching most of these on the list. 

What a strong year. Really a toss up between Robocop, the Untouchables and Full Metal Jacket.

I'm going to have to go with Robocop, a little jewel of a movie. Still looks as sharp today as it did back then.

2nd is the Untouchables, with Bobby D. in his prime. Also a very good year for comedies -- Throw Momma from the Train would be 3rd. 

Based on prior voting, I am expecting either Robocop or Predator to lead the pack.

How am I supposed to choose between Planes Trains, Princess Bride, and Spaceballs?

Just ask me to choose between my kids

One thing Ive learned on ES, 1987 has to be the greatest year ever for movies.  Shout out to Predator, FMJ, The Last Emporer, and ThenRunning Man

Good googly goo what a year

I voted for The Last Emperor, such a lush movie, the cinematography is outstanding. I have several versions including the director's cut. It's a compelling story too. 

I had the book written by Puyi himself and translated, but it was a boring read. I didn't finish it.

11 minutes ago, Bang said:

DEFINITELY Raising Arizona, but it's not on the list.

So i took Planes Trains and Automobiles, a certified classic, if only for the line about the Bears game.

~Bang

Excerpt from Throw Momma from the Train:

Owen: Where are you going?

Larry: I'm gonna kill the ****. You want something?

Owen: Could you get me a Chunky?

That one kills me every time. 

2 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I voted for The Last Emperor, such a lush movie, the cinematography is outstanding. I have several versions including the director's cut. It's a compelling story too. 

I had the book written by Puyi himself and translated, but it was a boring read. I didn't finish it.

With that list, completely forgot that The Last Emperor won Best Picture and cleaned up at the Oscars that year.

1987 might be that GOAT for movie years. 

I hate you now.  While I would vote for Full Metal Jacket from the list you provided, you left off my favorite movie of all time, my answer to the "if you could only take one movie to a deserted island answer".

11295632525093206.jpg

I know it isn't everyone's cup of tea, but this to me is about a near perfect film.  And it belongs on the list over several you included.  For shame.

Edit* To add, six Oscar nominations, though it lost all six categories to The Last Emperor.  But seriously, you left this off in favor of things like Stakeout and Evil Dead 2?  FEH!!!

44 minutes ago, Forehead said:

I hate you now.  While I would vote for Full Metal Jacket from the list you provided, you left off my favorite movie of all time, my answer to the "if you could only take one movie to a deserted island answer".

I know it isn't everyone's cup of tea, but this to me is about a near perfect film.  And it belongs on the list over several you included.  For shame.

Edit* To add, six Oscar nominations, though it lost all six categories to The Last Emperor.  But seriously, you left this off in favor of things like Stakeout and Evil Dead 2?  FEH!!!

Yeah, that was an oversight.  That was a great movie, and I had no idea that kid was Christian Bale until now. 

On a side note, Evil Dead 2 is one of the best horror movies ever made.  Top 5.

Edit: And in fairness to me, Stakeout beat Empire of the Sun at the box office by about $40 million.  This thread isn't about which movie Hollywood gave itself the most awards for, it is about which was your favorite movie.

Just now, Springfield said:

Robocop does not stand the test of time.

I disagree.  I think it's still a good flick even today.  But, I will admit that I liked the remake better than I thought I would.  Michael Keaton was awesome in that movie.

5 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Robocop does not stand the test of time.

Just now, Ron78 said:

I disagree.  I think it's still a good flick even today.  But, I will admit that I liked the remake better than I thought I would.  Michael Keaton was awesome in that movie.

No, he's right. Did you see how good Detroit looked in the original Robocop? So unrealistic by comparison today.

Just now, GhostofSparta said:

No, he's right. Did you see how good Detroit looked in the original Robocop? So unrealistic by comparison today.

Ha.  Still enjoy it even if they didn't project well.

Archived