Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2017 Draft Day Three - Rounds 4/5/6/7 - Discussion Thread

zCommander

1 minute ago, 98ORAKPO98 said:

I would have traded next year's first and this year's 6th, if that would have worked. Foster could be a Patrick Willis, Luke Kuechly type player. Would have been sweet to get the three best defensive players from Alabama. Better than Humphrey imo.

No chance of that trade though. 

13 minutes ago, 98ORAKPO98 said:

What would have to have been traded to make it work you think?

I don't really think we'd have been in a position to jump SF to get him. Their pick in the early second was too valuable to teams trading back half a dozen places. Not sure there was a viable trade partner above where SF jumped to.

Hypothetical scenarios, our 2nd and 3rd in 2017 plus a 3rd in 2018. That balances the value out to get someone moving back to 49...or to preserves our main picks in 2017, next years 1 and 3 probably for a team dropping out of the first round and getting nothing back in a stacked 2017 draft. High price.

48 minutes ago, 98ORAKPO98 said:

What would have to have been traded to make it work you think?

Our 2018 1st rounder might have done it. I don't think I'd want to pay that price (or more), but if you really thought him a top ten talent then he's worth mortgaging a little future for.

4 hours ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

Playing soft? Like dominating the Cowboys defense and pro bowl S (Jones) on Thanksgiving with a severely separated shoulder? 

Oh, sorry, I was talking about his blocking the other 15 1/2 games last year and how he's always injured, but yes, he played that half tough in the passing game, again, injured.

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

Oh, sorry, I was talking about his blocking the other 15 1/2 games last year and how he's always injured, but yes, he played that half tough in the passing game, again, injured.

Ah, okay. Well I wholeheartedly disagree with your preference of trading him for Richardson and a pick then drafting OJ Howard over Allen. Reed is special  

Well, it seems all of this is all moot anyway.  I just saw "Dracketology", or some congered up similar name by the NFL guys on ESPN.  We were knocked out of the "first round" of the draft by the Eagles.  Obviously, somehow, our draft was in the bottom half of the NFL.  Very enlightening and amazing. These guys are really smart. Also, all the other NFL teams should just go through the motions because the Patriots (who have lucked into 2-3 SB wins...and they truly have....) have already won the Lombardi Trophy for 2018.  Can we just start the off season, free agent, and draft threads for 2018?  There is no point in going through the motions and pain the 2018 season will ultimately bring.  I felt really positive about our off-season & draft but it seems to have been for naught, per the NFL Network/ESPN.  I really thought we would have at least made the "2nd round" with our 2017 draft. Damn it.  Hail  

36 minutes ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

Ah, okay. Well I wholeheartedly disagree with your preference of trading him for Richardson and a pick then drafting OJ Howard over Allen. Reed is special  

The trade thing was a joke. Hence the smiley thing.

Hard to judge/rate a draft before anyone even plays but I could see Allen, Anderson, Moureau, and maybe that RB all starting at some point this season. I think Breeland is out. Fuller, Moureau, will compete for that #2 with him and I think he ends up dropping down the depth chart.

The draft gave us depth for sure. I also like that WR from Georgia something or the other.

I think Breeland will get a chance to prove himself. But I have a feeling that if he doesn't get back to form there will be guys who could push him out of a starting job. He really regressed last season after looking to be on the road to being a stud. Not sure exactly what happened.

We had the lowest standard deviation among all rankings, and ranked 3rd overall:

3. Washington Redskins

GPA: 3.37
Highest Grade: A- (4 tied)
Lowest Grade: B (3 tied)
Comments: Washington got a lot of agreement from graders across the board, coming in with a standard deviation of 0.31, lowest of all teams. Graders concurred that the pickup of defensive tackle Jonathan Allen at No. 17 overall was outstanding value. The Redskins stuck with defense in the next two rounds, picking up outside linebacker Ryan Anderson and cornerback Fabian Moreau. Just about all the graders again agreed with the value of these picks, and the fit for the Washington defense. Running back Samaje Perine was selected in the fourth round, and many of the graders see him receiving playing time his rookie season. The only reason Washington did not receive the highest grade of all teams was injury concerns throughout their picks. Jonathan Allen (shoulders issues) and Fabian Moreau (torn pectoral muscle) gave this team a slight dip in grades. That said, this was a very good draft for the Washington Redskins.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/nfl-draft/2017/2017-nfl-draft-report-card-report

From MMQB :

2. Almost every rival team I’ve talked to raved about the Redskins’ class. From DE Jonathan Allen and LB Ryan Anderson early to TE Jeremy Sprinkle late, Washington seems to have crushed it. They found value in falling players across the board.

On 5/1/2017 at 0:22 PM, Burgold said:

Our 2018 1st rounder might have done it. I don't think I'd want to pay that price (or more), but if you really thought him a top ten talent then he's worth mortgaging a little future for.

NEVER mortgage a future 1st round pick.  Just don't. 

I LOVE that most of our mid-late round selections have reasons they fell that aren't related to talent. 

Moreau with the injury. 

Perine playing a devalued position that was deep with "pick your flavor" role players this draft. 

Sprinkle had the stupid shoplifting incident fresh in everyone's mind and was part of possibly the deepest TE class ever.

Roullier seems to honestly be a better prospect than where we got him. I'm not sure why he fell so far other than his lack of length restricting him to an interior OL position. But in a weak class he should have gone higher imo. 

The other mid-late rounders are almost exclusively DBs that I don't have a feel for yet. But the guys I listed above seem like the potential difference-makers of our non-premium picks, and they all fell for reasons outside their true "talent" which is how I always wish we'd draft, and we finally did. I love dipping into the character issue/injury question/market inefficiency selections in the mid rounds and it's a great way to scoop up obvious value that's falling if the team does their homework. 

Here are the Relative Athletic Scores of our draft class:

#25 Washington Redskins
Average RAS: 5.45
2016 Rank: #24

redskins2017.png

The Redskins were a bit erratic this season. Jon Allen measured very well (unless you consider him an edge rusher), but 2nd round pick Ryan Anderson was one of the worst athletes in this draft class. Conversely, Fabian Moreau measured out as the 2nd most athletic CB since 1999. Robert Davis was the most athletic receiver in the 2017 draft class, but Jeremy Sprinkle in the 5th round was one of the only well known tight ends in this draft class to measure below average.

Interesting mix of "football players" and great athletes.  Here's some background on what Relative Athletic Scores are and what goes into the calculation.

Archived