Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2017 Draft Day Three - Rounds 4/5/6/7 - Discussion Thread

zCommander

Washington Redskins: Fish Smithson, S, Kansas (UDFA)

Easy to overlook a player off Kansas’s defense, but Smithson (5’11”, 190) was a standout without much help around him. He brings the prerequisite versatility needed at safety, especially in coverage—he can play high or match up man-on-man in the slot. He may be a practice-squad guy as a rookie, or latch on elsewhere, but there’s NFL-caliber ability in his game.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/05/05/nfl-draft-late-round-udfa-sleepers?xid=socialflow_twitter_si

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Washington Redskins: Fish Smithson, S, Kansas (UDFA)

Easy to overlook a player off Kansas’s defense, but Smithson (5’11”, 190) was a standout without much help around him. He brings the prerequisite versatility needed at safety, especially in coverage—he can play high or match up man-on-man in the slot.

Fish was an interesting UDFA that is sneaky good.  He would be a great practice squad player while he learns the NFL.  Being from Big 12 country I can say he was absolutely the best player on the bad KU team.  The kid can play. 

NFC East reporters rated the divisions drafts ironically, the Eagles, Giants reporters picked the Redskins.  While Keim went with the Eagles.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/76220/redskins-lead-nfc-east-with-value-picks-throughout-draft

Jordan Raanan, New York Giants reporter: The Redskins had the best draft of any team in the NFL this year, even after firing their general manager during the lead-up. They grabbed a top-10 talent in Allen at pick No. 17 and added a pass rusher with first-round talent (Anderson) in the second. Their fourth-round pick, Perine, will be starting at some point this year. He’s a quality player. Fifth-round pick, tight end Jeremy Sprinkle, will also contribute immediately as a blocker. Put simply, the Redskins killed this draft.

@HTTRDynasty was just coming to post this. Absolutely fascinating read, I'd advise everyone to go through it in its entirety and not just for the part about us: 

Here's where we come in: 

6:45 p.m.

In most drafts, the action dies down after your pick. But a funny thing is happening in this draft. No one wants Reuben Foster. Cincinnati liked him; the Bengals pass at nine. New Orleans liked him; the Saints pass at 11. Washington (17), Detroit (21), Miami (22), Oakland (24) … all pass. Lynch is undeterred that the league is treating Foster like he has a communicable disease. Marathe and Mayhew and Peters and even Lynch call teams, trying to see if they can steal a pick to take Foster.

Before Baltimore picks at 16, Marathe gets solemn with Lynch and Shanahan. “Would you do our two, a three and two fours to get this pick?” Marathe says.

Shanahan looks at him like’s got two heads.

“I wouldn’t do more than a two and a three,” Shanahan says.

Marathe: “Two and three will get you to 20, 21. Not to here.”

Shanahan: “That’s fine.”

Lynch is O.K. with splitting the baby: offering a two, three and four for the 16th pick. That would leave San Francisco with no second-round pick, one third-round pick and no fourth-round pick. So Marathe offers the two, three and four to GM Ozzie Newsome of the Ravens. “Ozzie came back with our two and 66 and 67,” Marathe says. In other words, San Francisco’s two and both threes.

“No,” Lynch says. (Interesting that Lynch never says, What are those idiots talking about? What a dumb deal! He just moves on.)

“Man, that Ozzie,” Marathe says after hanging up with Newsome. “Ozzie wants us not to work tomorrow!” (Rounds two and three take place Friday night.)

“Tomorrow’s the best day,” Shanahan says.

6:53 p.m.

Marathe gets up to leave the room. He practically bolts.

“Don’t go far,” Lynch warns.

Marathe: “Restroom.”

Lynch: “Hold it.”

6:55 p.m.

Marathe is gone for maybe 100 seconds. He walks back in the room and announces: “I hear Washington wants to trade down.” False alarm. Marathe offers Washington, at 17, the Baltimore deal. Washington sticks and picks another Alabama faller, defensive tackle Jonathan Allen.

“Keep trying,” Lynch says.

After reading it all, I came away thinking,  "huh, the niners were more lucky than actually savvy." 

Changed my perception of how their draft went. 

Also, what an intriguing discussion it must've been in our draft room. Overall, I'm glad they took Allen and stuck with it. We need impact guys and trading down would've meant quantity but less of a chance of impact. 

Still, it was a super deep draft and we may have won out by trading back. I don't know, I'm just too pleased we got Allen. We didn't overthink it. 

• 2 weeks later...

I thought this was pretty cool.  According to Career Approximate Value, we've been the 5th best drafting team since 2012.  It's definitely not a perfect way to measure draft class success (it's based on value, not how good a player actually is), but the correlation of teams with strong drafts from 2012 to 2016 to teams that are considered good teams today looks to be pretty high in the below graphic, with a couple of outliers.

draftgradesleague1.jpg?w=1000&h=513

draftgrades_wsh.jpg

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Wow, I would have taken that in a heartbeat.

apparently the Skins were happy with ten picks and even willing to give up a few if the right move up chance happened.  And by the time this offer happened they were probably either already on the clock or at least knew they had a good chance of getting Allen

Archived