Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2017 Draft Day 1 - First Round - Discussion Thread

Coolio47

See also the "Index" thread by our esteemed @PCS for up to date info (not a discussion thread, guys and gals): 

Can you feel it? That's the feeling of tension one has when you know, deep down, that a team that's on the verge of contention is going into, perhaps, the most important draft they've had in decades. 

We've got 10 picks. A draft that's supposedly deep on the side of the ball our team needs to get better at most; defense. Things are lined up for the team to take a major step here and continue the progress they've had the past couple of seasons. Of course, there are things they still need to iron out that, arguably, mean even more than this draft... but we'll just ignore that for now.

My personal best-case scenario?

The draft falls for us in a way that the guys ranked at the top of our board every time we pick is a guy that fits our needs, especially on the Dline/Edge. We don't ever have to move up because the guy we love will fall to our pick. And if we move back we're sure of our guy being there and he is.

That's best case because it's BPA that fortunately went our way and addressed our biggest needs without having to give up any extra picks to ensure we get "our guy".

My personal decent-to-good-case scenario?     

The draft falls in a way where, in some cases, the guy ranked at the top of our board fits our needs but, in others, it doesn't and we STILL take the guy at the top of our board, never reaching or panicking. We may have to move up and give up a pick (preferably no more than one of our extra 4ths or 5ths) to ensure we get a guy we really want, but it's acceptable and not overly expensive.

Overall we address some needs but maybe not as much as we'd like, however, we're comfortable knowing we didn't force anything and just followed our board. 

My personal worst-case scenario?   

All the teams ahead of us consistently screw us over and take guys we really wanted. Even the guys who fall to us aren't ones we're in love with and don't address any needs. So we panic and reach for a need anyway instead of just sticking to the board and taking BPA or moving down and acquiring more picks. Or we move up later in the draft for a guy who isn't going to impact the team much anyway just because we're desperate for someone at that position to come in.

Oh, and we take a QB in the first few rounds. I can get on board with one in the 4th and beyond, but it's going to be tough to accept anything before that. Maybe a 3rd rounder is fine.  

Basically, we're reaching so much it's almost obvious and/or we're back to square one at QB in terms of developing a guy for the long term EVEN THOUGH WE ALREADY HAVE AND ARE NOW AT AN ADVANTAGE WITH THE REST OF THE TEAMS WHO HAVE FRANCHISE QBs (in terms of competing and not needing to spend major resources on finding "the guy").

=================================================================================================

So, yeah... that's it. Praying to God the best case scenario occurs, though we'll never really know unless we acquire their draft board. But I've never been more tense going into a draft in my life. I feel like this is it. We get this right, we can become contenders for years to come. We get this wrong, it just further puts everything we've done to progress the last couple years into question and likely distances the team from success any time soon. 

Keep it clean, fellas. Don't ruin this for anyone, remember nothing is set in stone yet, draft grades don't matter right now, guys you don't like will pan out, guys you do like won't, we won't know for at least a couple years, and let's just have some fun as a (super) dysfunctional ES family rooting for them to "get it right". :)  

DO NOT, FOR ANY REASON, POST A TWEET OR ANY OTHER SOURCE OF ANY  DRAFT PICK BEFORE IT IS ANNOUNCED ON TV. 

NO. FRIGGIN. SPOILERS. 

Again, NO SPOILERS!!!!! 

This isn't a debate. You might not care and might want to know early, but others do and enjoy the anticipation. Your post will be immediately deleted and you will likely face additional time off. Thanks. 

Would be really upset if we drafted a running back first, but I'll learn to live with it.  Would rather us take a ILB to put next to Zach.  I get the whole BPA thing, but if Zach doesn't come back, then what?  If we can get a ILB and NT in first four rounds, I can live with BPA rest of the way.  I'm just not down with ignoring glaring needs for shiny toys.

I can't ****ing believe they drafted (fill in the blank)!!"..."They drafted who?...what a wasted pick"..."That was a reach...my mock had him graded as a 4th rounder at best"..."(fill in the blank) is still on the board!...I saw him play in every game at my alma mater. Grab him, Allen!"..."Stop posting who we're picking after seeing it on twitter, dammit!! Let us find out when it's announced!"..."What...they went to ANOTHER commercial when it's our time to pick? Damn you, Mara!"...

Ok, I'm done...see you guys Monday lol...

2o9s0fi0xs8etj2l6sfg.gif

I'm going to update the OP with this, but I want to mention it here for anyone who already read it so that they see it as well: 

DO NOT, FOR ANY REASON, POST A TWEET OR ANY OTHER SOURCE OF ANY DRAFT PICK BEFORE IT IS ANNOUNCED ON TV. 

NO. FRIGGIN. SPOILERS. 

Again, NO SPOILERS!!!!! 

This isn't a debate. You might not care and might want to know early, but others do and enjoy the anticipation. Your post will be immediately deleted and you will likely face additional time off. Thanks. 

I am bad a searching for my old quotes, so I am throwing this in the beginning of this thread so I can find it later and laugh at how wrong I was. 

10 picks

2 trades get us 1 pick this year and 1 pick next year

6 or more of the picks used on defense

if we pick an RB, it will be in rounds 1, 2 or 3 (Mixon in the 3rd is my dream pick at RB)

1 safety will be picked.  He will only start 1 season with us (maybe not this year) because we are still under a curse at that position.

If we pick a QB early, Kirk is gone this year or next.  If we pick a QB in 4th or later, McCoy is gone next year.

1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

I swear, if they call out the name "Schmorky" lol :ols:...

Damnit, I was saving a joke about that and I was going to pull it right before our draft pick. Something along the lines of "welp, Schmorky is still on the board". You friggin ruined it. :( 

6 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

Damnit, I was saving a joke about that and I was going to pull it right before our draft pick. Something along the lines of "welp, Schmorky is still on the board". You friggin ruined it. :( 

It's still good, nobody's reading this front page right now lol...expect to see a number of "C'mon, Schmorky" posts from me right before we pick *thumbsup*

Since some of us regulars that I love (to hate? :P ) are in here right now... I wanted to get your opinions. What do you think about locking this thread up after each day?

So this will be for the first round tonight. Then I'll open a new one for Friday Night. Then finally Saturday. Sort of a way for people to follow the discussion easier than having one giant mega thread they have to go through if they missed anything?

What do you guys think? One mega thread for ease of location or one for each day to make it easier to follow the discussion of draft separated by day?   

Of course, I'll re-open them immediately after the draft. Same as the Comprehensive thread (which I'm definitely going to lock up just like we did last draft, that's not up for debate). 

My personal best-case scenario:

A top-10 player at a position of need falls to us at 17.  This would include Malik Hooker, Reuben Foster, and Jonathan Allen (all guys who I've actually seen picked at 17 in mocks, so it's not beyond reason it could happen).  Each would fill a huge long-term need and has a high ceiling.  Out of the first five picks, we get five starters at DI/edge/S/CB/ILB and shore up the defense with young talent.  With the 5th round pick, we get an interesting WR.  With the sixth and seventh round picks, we get good special teamers.

My personal good scenario: 

We trade back from 17 to the mid-20's when a team wants to move up and draft one of the OTs before Denver can, picking up whatever 2nd to 4th round pick(s) represent reasonable value.  The board doesn't go exactly as we'd like, so instead of filling all of our defensive holes, we end up with our first five picks RB/WR/OL and two defensive picks.  We'd rather have solved the defensive side of the ball, but we feel like we have players at two skill positions who can help us win now along with a G that fits into the long-term O-line plan.  We get some defensive players in the fifth and below - not guys that are likely to be day one starters, but who can maybe turn into starters down the line.

My personal meh scenario: 

We draft a RB at 17.  This to me would represent a fundamental misunderstanding of the modern NFL and positional value.  I don't care what comes after that.  RB means the front office is chasing trends, not adhering to fundamentals.  McCaffrey would be the only possible exception because you could almost consider him a WR.

My personal worst-case scenario: a QB with the first or second pick.  That would signal to me that the front office is ready to move on from Kirk, which would be a dreadful mistake.  Teams just don't let guys who've put up the stats he has walk.  Mark my words: it will be like Drew Brees leaving San Diego for New Orleans.

35 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

All the teams ahead of us consistently screw us over and take guys we really wanted.... 

Why do the damn Colts always come to mind whenever I think of this, specifically?  There they are again, just ahead of us, along with Baltimore.  Damnit. Should be a good show tonight!  Hail

10 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

Since some of us regulars that I love (to hate? :P ) are in here right now... I wanted to get your opinions. What do you think about locking this thread up after each day?

So this will be for the first round tonight. Then I'll open a new one for Friday Night. Then finally Saturday. Sort of a way for people to follow the discussion easier than having one giant mega thread they have to go through if they missed anything?  

Yes, I like this idea.  The first round is more of a "show" to me.  The 2nd round and on is where teams are created.  Tonight is fun, but the other rounds carry more significance, to me at least.  I think you have a good idea.  Seconded. Hail

10 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

I like this idea. Where do we chat after the round is over but before round 2 begins tomorrow night, etc.?

14 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

The only question I would have for doing things that way is, where does the discussion of the first-round pick go if you lock the thread at the end of the night?

There will be a lot of folks who can't be here tonight who will want to give their 2 cents on the selection the next day. Where would that discussion go?

35 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Best case scenario?

Christian McCaffrey.

Everything will leave me disappointed if we pass on him.

It will give us all something to **** about.  Hell, that's half the joy, and duty, of being a Redskins fan, right?  Enjoy the ride!  Hail  **Thank you for all of your hard work in the BRBN forum.  I truly appreciate it.**

Archived