Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: As opioid overdoses rise, police officers become counselors, doctors and social workers

visionary

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's complicated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabidiol#Legal_status

In the United States, cannabidiol is a Schedule I drug under the Controlled Substances Act.[61] This means that production, distribution and possession of CBD is illegal under federal law. In 2016, the Drug Enforcement Administration added "marijuana extracts" to the list of Schedule I drugs, which it defined as "an extract containing one or more cannabinoids that has been derived from any plant of the genus Cannabis, other than the separated resin (whether crude or purified) obtained from the plant."[62] Previously, CBD had simply been considered "marijuana", which is also a Schedule I drug.[61][63] In June 2018, the FDA approved oral use of CBD as an anti-seizure drug in treating rare types of childhood epilepsy.[11] This is a contradiction as Schedule I substances by definition have no accepted medical use.

A CNN program that featured Charlotte's Web cannabis in 2013 brought increased attention to the use of CBD in the treatment of seizure disorders.[64][65] Since then, 16 states have passed laws to allow for the use of CBD products (not exceeding a specified concentration of THC) for the treatment of certain medical conditions.[66] This is in addition to the 30 states that have passed comprehensive medical cannabis laws, which allow for the use of cannabis products with no restrictions on THC content.[66] Of these 30 states, eight have legalized the use and sale of cannabis products without requirement for a doctor's recommendation.[66]

Although most states restrict the use of CBD products to certain medical conditions, manufacturers of CBD claim their products are derived from industrial hemp, and therefore legal for anyone to use.[67] A number of these manufacturers ship CBD products to all 50 states, which the federal government has so far not intervened in.[68][69] CBD is also openly sold in head shops, health food stores, chiropractor clinics, optometrist offices, doctors offices and pharmacies in some states where such sales have not been explicitly legalized.[67][70]

Not that Weed won't make a ton of money on it's own with the demand, but when huge corporations start taking over the production and distribution, and start buying out the small mom & pop shops, I do worry what eventually is going to be added to the weed itself in order to get people addicted and/or worse.  This is why we need a gov't that isn't hostile to the legalization or at least decriminalization, that is forward thinking and are concerned with making it as safe as possible.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Every US Public Library, High School, and YMCA is Getting Opioid Overdose Reversal Kits for Free

In a bid to fight the dangers of opioid addiction, this pharmaceutical company is giving away thousands of free overdose reversal kits to libraries, YMCA centers, and educational institutions across the country.

Emergent BioSolutions recently bought out the company that is responsible for making Narcan, the only FDA-approved naloxone nasal spray that can reverse opioid overdoses. Earlier this week, they announced that they would be attempting to protect American youth by giving away free Narcan kits to all 16,568 public libraries and 2,700 YMCAs.

The company has already been working through their Narcan in Schools program to distribute their kits to every US high school, as well as colleges and universities that grant two and four-year degrees.

“These two programs reflect our commitment to educating the public about the potential risks of opioids and the critical role of naloxone during an opioid overdose emergency and reinforce our mission – to protect and enhance life,” said Emergent Senior Vice President Doug White in a statement.

Click on the link for the full article

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, dfitzo53 said:

Makes you a better driver?

More relaxed? Less likely to panic?

Kinda like people believing alcohol acts as a stimulant as it overcomes your inhibitions. :806:

I know for a fact that one of my kids was such a terrible driver as a teenager, that drinking alcohol or smoking pot couldn't have made their performance worse. ?

Would have been worth a try.  :806:

5 hours ago, Corcaigh said:

More relaxed? Less likely to panic?

Kinda like people believing alcohol acts as a stimulant as it overcomes your inhibitions. :806:

I know for a fact that one of my kids was such a terrible driver as a teenager, that drinking alcohol or smoking pot couldn't have made their performance worse. ?

Would have been worth a try.  :806:

I did a little research and it looks like that idea comes from a combination of things. 

First off, it doesn't really. 

Second, there is the idea that it's safer than drinking and driving, and there is some evidence that marijuana use is cutting into alcohol sales in states where marijuana is legal. So there may be some overall benefit to people driving high instead of drunk, but that's not really a ringing endorsement. 

Third there's also what you pointed out that people may feel more relaxed and that might be good, but people apparently used to say the same about a drink or two.