Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: As opioid overdoses rise, police officers become counselors, doctors and social workers

visionary

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Marijuana is officially legal for recreational use in California. 

The war on drugs is perhaps the biggest failure in public policy in our countries history. All it has done is waste money and brought misery and pain to millions of people.

It is too bad that on social issues like this, America hardly ever leads from the front amongst developed nations. 

We we have a blueprint available from other countries on how to fight drug abuse humanely and effectively but we won’t pursue it until we’ve exhausted all the inhumane and cruel techniques first. 

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, No Excuses said:

We we have a blueprint available from other countries on how to fight drug abuse humanely and effectively but we won’t pursue it until we’ve exhausted all the inhumane and cruel techniques first. 

Our country didn’t start taking it seriously until it started affecting “real Americans”, or as our media likes to call them, “the working class” in droves. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

Our country didn’t start taking it seriously until it started affecting “real Americans”, or as our media likes to call them, “the working class” in droves. 

We still really aren't taking it seriously, but our government isn't punishing "real Americans", the way it punished poor black communities for drug use since the 70's via law enforcement. 

The ruling class, particularly Republicans, simply do not give a **** about the poor and the conditions they live in. They will let poor white communities afflicted with opioid abuse rot from within and die out.

Kentucky, for instance, is dealing with an awful health and social services crisis.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/politics/2017/12/18/kentucky-budget-crisis-social-services-matt-bevin/898262001/

I don't know what the breaking point for this country is when they realize that they've been hustled into believing that the government is evil. To the point that programs that can help them are no longer available. No private corporation is coming to save anyone's ass.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

i don't think i've posted about this yet.

a in-treatment facility was going to open in our town. there was a building that was completely unused across from the jail. It's been unused for like 18 months. there was enough room to set up 2 7 bed units, one for males one for females. this use is within the zoning of the area.

the town council heard the proposal and approved it. a treatment center right across from the jail in an area where the jail is full of people with drug issues made complete sense. the company doing it is out of Richmond and has a good reputation.

so the local paper does an article on it. all the sudden the people, that already live/work next to a jail, start ****ing about property values.

let me restate that - the people that ALREADY LIVE NEXT TO A JAIL, are now concerned about their property values.

one person was quoted as saying this:
.... what does this treatment facility to do for me?

Not ****ting you, she let the paper quote her talking about her opposition and ended her quote asking what the treatment facility would do for her.

So people were pissed. Like most local issues around here, there's a group of people who are always pissed about something. But generally speaking, they have no grounds to stop something that was legally acquired/started, went through the correct approval process, and is being done within an area with the correct zoning.

So what happened last month?

The county swooped in, purchased the property out of no where, and declared they're building....

a parking lot.

So now the treatment center is not happening. Out of the blue this thing went from approved and in zoning to the county knocking the building down and turning it into a parking lot. It cost the county almost 700k to purchase it.

I'm so disgusted with what has happened here. I have informed my representatives they have lost my vote. I will spend the rest of my life voting against them until they lose their job. It's just so disgusting the way this happened. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

The person currently tasked with running the program in charge of tackling the opioid crisis is a 24 year old with no experience, expertise or credentials.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/meet-the-24-year-old-trump-campaign-worker-appointed-to-help-lead-the-governments-drug-policy-office/2018/01/13/abdada34-f64e-11e7-91af-31ac729add94_story.html?utm_term=.44d138923aba

Vote for clowns, expect a circus.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/10/2018 at 10:23 AM, tshile said:

i don't think i've posted about this yet.

a in-treatment facility was going to open in our town. there was a building that was completely unused across from the jail. It's been unused for like 18 months. there was enough room to set up 2 7 bed units, one for males one for females. this use is within the zoning of the area.

the town council heard the proposal and approved it. a treatment center right across from the jail in an area where the jail is full of people with drug issues made complete sense. the company doing it is out of Richmond and has a good reputation.

so the local paper does an article on it. all the sudden the people, that already live/work next to a jail, start ****ing about property values.

let me restate that - the people that ALREADY LIVE NEXT TO A JAIL, are now concerned about their property values.

one person was quoted as saying this:
.... what does this treatment facility to do for me?

Not ****ting you, she let the paper quote her talking about her opposition and ended her quote asking what the treatment facility would do for her.

So people were pissed. Like most local issues around here, there's a group of people who are always pissed about something. But generally speaking, they have no grounds to stop something that was legally acquired/started, went through the correct approval process, and is being done within an area with the correct zoning.

So what happened last month?

The county swooped in, purchased the property out of no where, and declared they're building....

a parking lot.

So now the treatment center is not happening. Out of the blue this thing went from approved and in zoning to the county knocking the building down and turning it into a parking lot. It cost the county almost 700k to purchase it.

I'm so disgusted with what has happened here. I have informed my representatives they have lost my vote. I will spend the rest of my life voting against them until they lose their job. It's just so disgusting the way this happened. 

Just one more example of why we need public bouncers, someone empowered to step in where necessary and tell someone to STFU and throw them into the street

3 hours ago, No Excuses said:

The person currently tasked with running the program in charge of tackling the opioid crisis is a 24 year old with no experience, expertise or credentials.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/meet-the-24-year-old-trump-campaign-worker-appointed-to-help-lead-the-governments-drug-policy-office/2018/01/13/abdada34-f64e-11e7-91af-31ac729add94_story.html?utm_term=.44d138923aba

Which clown was in charge during the rise?

18 minutes ago, twa said:

Which clown was in charge during the rise?

See for yourself:

ods2016-slide02.jpg

Also fair to ask, what are the health departments of red states doing when doctors were prescribing painkillers at insane rates?

Some states have more painkiller prescriptions than people.

By comparison, which states are taking steps towards protecting patients?

Map showing which states have passed legislation to limit opioid prescriptions to 7 days or less.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

How do you figure that? Prescription opiods didn't hit the scene for another decade...or do you just like to reflexively blame Reagan for everything?

IKR! Reagan was way too senile to be responsible for much of anything.

Edited by The Sisko

9 hours ago, No Excuses said:

I read that article earlier today.

I’ll preface this by saying, whatever we are doing right now ISN’T working.  The way I understand this is that this kid got appointed due to a lack of qualified candidates, people who have stepped down, etc.  “Brain drain”, so to speak.

Now this kid, who has lied on several resumes apparently, gets appointed to tackle the opioid crisis.  The article claims that he is very passionate about this problem.  So, the way I see it, is that this is a huge national problem that is only getting worse.  Nothing has helped.  What harm is putting a 24 year old kid who claims that he wants to stop the problem really going to do at this point?  Are even more people going to get hooked on heroin, because that’s happening just fine on its own.

I guess what I’m trying to say, is that I’ll take a kid with a passion considering all else has failed at this point.

4 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

How do you figure that? Prescription opiods didn't hit the scene for another decade...or do you just like to reflexively blame Reagan for everything?

It was a tongue-in-cheek joke about how our federal government leadership is suddenly responsible for drug addiction. For whatever reason this wasn’t the case when crack cocaine swept the nation. 

After being contacted by The Post about Weyeneth’s qualifications, and about inconsistencies on his résumés, an administration official said Weyeneth will return to the position he initially held in the agency, as a White House liaison for ONDCP, a job that typically involves working with outside interest groups. The official, who agreed to speak only on the condition of anonymity, said that Weyeneth has been primarily performing administrative work, rather than making policy decisions, and that he had “assumed additional duties and an additional title following staff openings.”