Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We could have kept Garcon (contract details inside)

Tsailand

Here is the contract Garcon signed with the 49ers:

2017 cap hit: $6.425 million

Base Salary: $3.625 million
Prorated Signing Bonus: $2.4 million
Per Game Roster Bonus: $250,000
Workout Bonus: $100,000

2018 cap hit: $9.375 million

Base Salary: $6.625 million

2019 cap hit: $8.4 million

Base Salary: $5.65 million

2020 cap hit: $11.3 million

Base Salary: $8.55 million

2021 cap hit: $12 million

Base Salary: $9.25 million

(credit: http://www.ninersnation.com/2017/3/10/14881166/pierre-garcon-contract-details-49ers-wrs-5-year-deal )

We could have matched all of this. 

2017 cap hit is the same as Pryor, less if Pryor makes any incentives.

2018 and 2019 cap hits are very reasonable, less than his cap hits were with us over the last three years (2014:$9.7M, 2015:$9.7, 2016:$10.2). 

2020 and 2021 are where you  might wonder if that is too much to pay for a WR who is 33 and then 34, but check it out:  We could cut him in 2020 and take a $4.8M cap hit, and that can be spread over two years if it's a post-June 1st cut.  Or, if you think he's worth $11.3M in 2020, you keep him in 2020, and then cut him after the season and only take a $2.4M cap hit in 2021.

Thanks Bruce.

Thing is what's the point of signing him if you can have Pryor and Doctson is healthy, if Docston was in question then maybe.

This is not aimed at you Tsailand but Desean and Garcon are not irreplaceable, we didn't just lose Antonio Brown or Julio Jones, but the two guys we have now have the talent to be those type of players while the two that left never will.

Loved Garcon and i  wanted him to stay.  But getting Pryor and maybe next year signing him to a LTD was the right move.  You get a huge WR with great speed and super but raw talent to learn and grow in a very friendly pass/WR offense.  I just hope we get Cousins to agree to a LTD because I honestly believe with Crowder and Pryor as a base (we still don't know what we have in Doctson) we could have a special receiver core, better and more dynamic than Garcon and DJax long term.

1. Pryor is a one year rental.  If he balls out, we might be able to re-sign him, but we will have to be the high bidder on the open market.  Not as good as being locked into Garcon.

2. It isn't Pryor vs Garcon, it's Pryor and Garcon in 2017, with Garcon continuing into 2018 and 2019.

3. Doctson is absolutely in question, after last year.  Going into this year planning for him to be a starter is setting the team up for failure.  We need to begin the seasons with three real WR starters, and they should have been Garcon, Pryor, Crowder.  If Docton develops into what you people think he will, great! We'll have an amazing 2017 and he' can then be penciled in as a starter in 2018 onwards.

I think people overated how much him and Kirk were buddy buddy. There were times when him and djax looked like complaining divas who thought there QB couldn't get it done. Looks of wtf back at the huddle anytime there were struggles. 

I recall being in AZ, & watching Garçon, & DJax both lose it at separate points.  Kirk missed them wide open on both occasions...but seriously...gonna get all huffy every time the QB doesn't spot you running wide open down the wing?  Request a trade?  Laugh at signing HC to an extension?  

Deuces...or double-deuces x's 4 to be exact.

Pierre Garcon signed a five year, $47.5 million contract with the 49ers. Garcon received $20 million in guarantees, $17 million of which are fully guaranteed at signing. Garcon received a $12 million signing bonus. The 49ers hold an option on the 2019, 2020, and 2021 contract years.

This is essentially a one year $17m deal with the team able to decide future options.  His cap hit is low in 2017 $6.425m but would leave the team with an $11m dead cap hit in 2018 if they decided to move on.  If his 2018 option is picked up he counts $9.375m in 2018.  Its the classic front loaded deal.

36 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

1. Pryor is a one year rental.  If he balls out, we might be able to re-sign him, but we will have to be the high bidder on the open market.  Not as good as being locked into Garcon.

Might my buttocks, if he balls out enough to get a 15 mil a year contract after what he did last year and the lockerroom vibe is right, we'll pay him 18.

5 hours ago, BrandonJ83 said:

Maybe I'm in the minority but since I found out he REQUESTED a trade, I'm glad he's gone. 

Garcon ****ing lied to me on NFL Network by saying he wants to be a Redskins while wearing Redskins gear! Two-face traitor. Glad he is gone as well.

Pryor is an upgrade, so to speak, so I am not that upset. :) 

Archived