Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 ES GM's Mock Draft is now in the books. FULL details in the OP.

Gibbs Hog Heaven

With the 24th pick of the 5th round, #168 overall in the 2017 NFL Draft, the Houston Texans select:

Breon Borders - Cornerback - Duke 2.jpg

58f271b907e5d_borders1.thumb.png.73c38afa32628e69425d179c86dbafdf.png58f272465f163_breonborders2.thumb.png.0bdb1dcbeae83320d0e34eff38391af9.png

Borders ran unofficial hand times in the 4.3s at the Duke Pro-Day. Originally listed by ESPN as 4.30 flat during the broadcast, as shown in the picture above. Gil Brandt clocked Borders at 4.45 that pro-day. 

And now a word from Breon's cornerbacks coach: 

Borders is credited with 12 career INTs at Duke. 

And here for my friend @PokerPacker is a highlight reel intended for deep study in order to make definitive decisions upon:

On to the next.

The New Orleans Saints are on the clock

@DogofWar1 is on the clock (and he cannot receive any PM, his PM box must be full...)

@ZRagone you're on deck. Sorry mate, you'll have to do without your big board that is lost not in the cloud...

Since we switched page, I'll sum up the picks done today that aren't displayed on the OP:

160: Minnesota Vikings: Nazair Jones, DT, North Carolina (skipped 4 times)

161: San Fransisco 49ers: Stacey Coley, WR, Miami

162: Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Montae Nicholson, S, MSU

163: New England Patriots: Ryan Glasgow, DT, Michigan

164: Tennessee Titans: Tarik Cohen, RB, North Carolina A&T

165: Detroit Lions: Channing Stribling, CB, Michigan

166: Miami Dolphins: KD Cannon, WR, Baylor

167: New York Giants: Javarius Leamon, OT, South Carolina State

168: Houston Texans: Breon Borders, CB, Duke

There was a trade between Houston and Oakland:

Oakland send 5th round pick 168 & 7th round pick 244

Houston send both 6th round pick 188 & 211

The New Orleans Saints select Zach Banner, OT, USC.

la-sp-usc-football-20151023

Banner is a MASSIVE human being.  6-8 and somewhere between 350 and 375 pounds.

When Donald Trump says "YUUUUGE" Banner is who he is talking about, bigly.

It's believed that once he leaves USC the number of earthquakes in California will drop considerably.

Banner has started 25 games at right tackle and performed well, especially in the run game.  The list of people on Earth who are north of 350 pounds and can move like Banner can is very very short.  He will need to be closely watched and constantly trained to ensure that his weight and fluctuations don't imperil his abilities.

However, for the Saints, in the 5th round, this is a pick they like.  Zach Strief is 33, and while he's still solid his age is undoubtedly a concern.  A player like Zach Banner could spend a year learning and begin to step in in 2018.  Further, that extra year will allow the trainers to learn the best way to maximize Banner's potential as opposed to rushing him into the lineup.

If/when it gets to me, I'll get my pick in tonight. But doing an easter dinner with family in Fredericksburg right now with a dying phone battery, so don't have a good ability to do it atm. I should be back in NOVA by 7ish and will make a pick soon after. Sorry guys. 

8 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

The New Orleans Saints select Zach Banner, OT, USC.

I like the pick, good value in the 5th.

Would have picked him in the 6th if he kept falling.

4 minutes ago, ZRagone said:

If/when it gets to me, I'll get my pick in tonight. But doing an easter dinner with family in Fredericksburg right now with a dying phone battery, so don't have a good ability to do it atm. I should be back in NOVA by 7ish and will make a pick soon after. Sorry guys. 

Well, you're just on the clock right now :)

So you can pick anytime.

The Kansas City Chiefs are on the clock

@Epochalypse you're on deck mate.

I'm gonna be away for a few hours. I'll give it a quick watch before going to sleep, so if anyone wants to oversee the whole thing that would be appreciated.

13 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

On that note, do we have any plans on having a clock freeze on Sunday for Easter, @Gibbs Hog Heaven?

edit: Just realized he's probably already done for the day (whereas I haven't gone to sleep yet to be able to get up for the day)

If I didn't call one today I'm not going to call one tomorrow. 

Hail. 

7 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Well ****. Y'all have been BUSY!

Which isn't good when someone has to update all this the OP! :angry:.

Major props to Frenchie for keeping everything moving and everyone informed. He'll be running this thing at this rate! 

Thank you. 

Hail. 

Hey you pop right on time when I'm off to sleep!

It was a pleasure doing this, you're welcome friend.

Alright, I'm back and I can see that jerk Epoch as once again stolen my pick, so I'll have to take some time finding a new target.  In the mean time, here's some nice things I had to say about Vince Biegel assuming he'd be on my team:

While everyone is so distracted by J.J. Watt's little brother rushing the edge, Vince Biegel's been a productive football player on the opposite bookend.  He could stand to put on a few pounds of muscle to become a more effective player at the next level, but you won't find many questioning his toughness having played on a broken foot most of last season.  He's got a relentless motor and has a nose for the football.  He's a jack-of-all-trades kind of player with a high floor; should be a solid special teamer immediately.  Tony Pauline has a third round grade on him, stating he'd be a steal in the fourth, so I feel pretty confident with the value of grabbing him at the tail end of the 5th.  If there's one quote about him I'd like to leave on, it's that he "plays like a complete psycho for all 4 quarters"

Okay, I thought it over for a bit, and I've decided on who I'm taking.  My plan was originally, as mentioned, to take Vince Biegel here, and then I was hoping the following player would drop to me in the sixth.  Well since my steal in the fifth was so rudely stolen away by Ruiner-Of-Things Epoch, I'll just take him now since he really is a good prospect and I don't think is a reach here.  Without further ado...

With the 29th pick of the 5th round (172nd), the Green Bay Packers select OL Jon Toth, Kentucky

John%20Toth.jpg

This offseason, the packers let both starting Guard T.J. Lang walk, and Center 1b J.C. Tretter walk.  Last round I brought in Jermaine Eleumunor to compete for hte starting guard position, and now Toth will also compete for the position.  Toth is a Center by trade, however, so part of the reasoning to bring him in is as a safety net at Center since Linsley hasn't been staying completely healthy.  On tape, I thought Toth showed good awareness in the passing game not letting stunts fool him and didn't let the pocket collapse from the middle.  In the run game, he showed some decent strength at the point of attack, and some ability to get up to the second level.  Seems to play with good pad level and doesn't let guys get the leverage under him.  One thing I liked when watching the film was that he played to the whistle.

Also, Epoch smells like week-old feet.

The Pittsburgh Steelers are on the clock.

@skinfan2k it's up to you bud.

This being said, Happy Easter to everyone, spend your time with friends and family, all your beloved ones, that's important.

Nobody will complain if we're running slow today as we've been doing great the last two days and are perfectly on pace to end this thing before the actual real draft.

@clskinsfan is on deck for the Falcons.

Then it'll be @Epochalypse for the Browns.

Then we'll be reaching the 5th round compensatory picks.

5th round is almost in the books :)

18 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I'm super sorry guys.  Just found out I have a food allergy that has made me dizzy for the last six weeks.  Thought it might be something serious.  I unplugged yesterday to give my brain a break.  

Very sorry to read that # 40. Presumably now you know you've got the allergy to whatever you've rectified your diet and have stopped the worrying dizzy spells?

Unfortunately, as per the rules, you're now subject to a suspended time violation penalty as per the other 4 teams who've been skipped in the draft. That will be carried over the rest of the draft but won't come into effect unless you're skipped again. 

The OP is now fully up to date with the last 13 picks/ Vikings skip/ Raiders/Texans trade. 

My observations on the players taken in my absence: 

@wilco_holland Love the Glasgow pick. Not only would he be a great addition to a line rotation as a run stopper, but when I looked at him, with his size/ strength and traits, I liked the idea of flipping him guard if a team had the patience to let him develop in a new position. We here at Dallas do given the ridiculous depth of our OL. :D .

Said it before this draft but that is SO a typically solid Pats pick. 

@DogofWar1 Love the Banner take. But not as tackle. I could see him getting beat easily outside by fast, nimble edge rushers. I'd move him inside where his short area strength is best as a beast mauling guard. Should help Ingram and the Saints run game immensely in that scenario. 

@ZRagone Really like the Brown take as a high upside developmental WR. Inexperienced with only 1 year starting but so much natural potential. Came on my radar when his Buckeyes handed the Sooners our first loss of the year bagging 4 TD's for himself in an ass whooping in Norman. With patience, he could be a real fine starter down the line. 

@Epochalypse Nice take on Biegel. Wouldn't mind adding him as a depth/ situational backer myself who would be a great addition to ST's to boot. 

To everyone else, I either haven't seen your takes or weren't that high on them. Though I'm sure they're all solid picks for your respective teams. 

13 picks the last 24 hours. EXCELLENT work guys. 

Hail. 

12 minutes ago, Epochalypse said:

Happy Easter all.

I know in my drafts I did away with the time limits on Easter but offer it only as a suggestion since this is GHH's show.

Happy Easter. Did you? Honestly don't remember. 

Interesting but I don't see a big need to not roll as normal. Simple answer folks if you're within range and are going to be tied up today. Bounce a shortlist over. I've had to jib the match today so I'll be home and around all day. 

Hail. 

Archived