Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moose & Squirrel v Boris & Natasha: what's the deal with the rooskies and trumpland?

Jumbo

1 hour ago, twa said:

Trump has had that authority, does Barr using it really trouble you more?

Trump is Trump.

Barr can wrap himself in the mantle of the DOJ.

So yes.  It's one thing for Trump to stupidly stumble about trying to attack his political enemies and investigators.  It's quite another to weaponize DOJ to do it.

He's probably trying to avoid GOP grandstanding.

Do you want an entire day of Doug Collins yelling "STROZK!  PAGE!  LOVERS!  TRAITORS!" over and over again without giving Mueller a chance to respond?

Because that's how that happens.

19 minutes ago, Springfield said:

5pf29k1kp0031.jpg

I ...... don't think I'd agree with saying that.  

Yes, he absolutely is obstructing justice.  On a daily basis.  But I would argue that this particular thing of his is more a case of constitutionally protected political negotiating.  

23 minutes ago, Larry said:

Yes, he absolutely is obstructing justice.  On a daily basis.  But I would argue that this particular thing of his is more a case of constitutionally protected political negotiating.  

giphy.gif

• Like 1

This is a big, big deal guys.  Trump is weaponizing the DOJ for his political purposes.  That's basically the red line between Constitutional Republic and Authoritarian Regime.

8 hours ago, Larry said:

I dunno about that.  Depends on whether impeachable conduct is considered "CPPN."  Extorting Congress and holding the duties/powers/responsibilities of the President hostage is generally a bad look and a pretty wild violation of his oath of office.

Edited by DogofWar1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DogofWar1 said:

This is a big, big deal guys.  Trump is weaponizing the DOJ for his political purposes.  That's basically the red line between Constitutional Republic and Authoritarian Regime.

It's absolutely insane and depressing that this is going to get so little attention amidst the daily avalanche of unamerican and insane **** that Trump does. I remember when "conservatives" were screaming about Obama weaponizing the IRS based mostly on conspiracy theories without any actual evidence. Now we have a POTUS weaponizing the DOJ against his political rivals in broad daylight without any real pretext and they cheer it on. Nixon would probably be like "dude....this is insane" if he could watch this unfold. He'd also probably be a little jealous. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, mistertim said:

It's absolutely insane and depressing that this is going to get so little attention amidst the daily avalanche of unamerican and insane **** that Trump does. I remember when "conservatives" were screaming about Obama weaponizing the IRS based mostly on conspiracy theories without any actual evidence. Now we have a POTUS weaponizing the DOJ against his political rivals in broad daylight without any real pretext and they cheer it on. Nixon would probably be like "dude....this is insane" if he could watch this unfold. He'd also probably be a little jealous. 

Whats worse is that whatever Barr comes up with will get all the salacious headlines and sound bites. 

• Sad 1

How is that weaponizing the DOJ?

If a problem is found any evidence will be examined thoroughly by many others .

Or are you afraid of baseless claims?

This action simply removes roadblocks to a investigation......roadblocks that were already supposed to be lowered.

3 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Whats worse is that whatever Barr comes up with will get all the salacious headlines and sound bites. 

You mean like the investigation into Trump?

12 hours ago, twa said:

Why on earth would he think such a thing???.....subpoena him immediately.

Probably because Mueller saw some twa posts on here and realizes if that represents the mindset of any significant amount of the population then it's a lost cause. 

8 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Probably because Mueller saw some twa posts on here and realizes if that represents the mindset of any significant amount of the population then it's a lost cause. 

I must be good, my posts influence Mueller, change stock prices and can even end civilization. :ols:

48 minutes ago, twa said:

How is that weaponizing the DOJ?

If a problem is found any evidence will be examined thoroughly by many others .

Or are you afraid of baseless claims?

This action simply removes roadblocks to a investigation......roadblocks that were already supposed to be lowered.

In his short career so far as Trump's AG, Barr has already shown himself as willing to spin, obfuscate, and seemingly flat out lie to help Trump politically. Trump has repeatedly made it known that he wants to weaponize law enforcement to go after his rivals. Those two things together don't give you any pause about what's happening? 

As to your second point, I have serious doubts that the "evidence" that comes out will actually be thoroughly examined by nonpartisan career DOJ officials. This whole thing will allow Barr to cherry pick stuff that seems to back up Trump's claims, and then put it out to the public in a likely misleading way without any context. Any of the underlying full documentation that shows context will obviously not be made available (or will only be made available slowly and heavily redacted) which allows the Trump/Barr narrative to get out there without any way to counter it. Basically exactly what happened with the Mueller report.

You know all of this. There's no way you don't. What will inevitably happen is Barr will send out highly misleading stuff that he cherry picks from the reports. The media will run with it, especially right wing media. Then much later once the full investigation is finally released (likely after House Dems having to go to court to get it), it will show that what Barr put out there was basically a charade and at best misleading (seeing as how there's precisely ZERO evidence of any of Trump's claims about spying, etc) . But it won't matter at that point, because the public will have absorbed it and moved on. And this is EXACTLY what the Rs are counting on.

Edited by mistertim

Barr's job in all of this is to offer just enough info for headlines.  We already saw this exact thing play out with his "Summary of Mueller report" It is no accident that he said just enough for a "No Collusion" headline to be splashed everywhere, yet once the media and others started actually reading the report it was fairly obvious that was pretty misleading, not to mention Barr severely ignored/undercut the Obstruction aspect(s) of the report as well.

Then it happened again with the "spying on Trump campaign" thing.  He kept using the term in order to fuel the right wing media machine with a splashy headline, when in reality it is already common knowledge everything was legal, with warrants, based on credible information. But somehow none of that made it into those headlines.

3 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Barr's job in all of this is to offer just enough info for headlines.  We already saw this exact thing play out with his "Summary of Mueller report" It is no accident that he said just enough for a "No Collusion" headline to be splashed everywhere, yet once the media and others started actually reading the report it was fairly obvious that was pretty misleading, not to mention Barr severely ignored/undercut the Obstruction aspect(s) of the report as well.

Then it happened again with the "spying on Trump campaign" thing.  He kept using the term in order to fuel the right wing media machine with a splashy headline, when in reality it is already common knowledge everything was legal, with warrants, based on credible information. But somehow none of that made it into those headlines.

I wonder if Barr will do the flip of what he did with obstruction in the Mueller report.

That report spelled out multiple episodes of potential obstruction by Trump, 5 of which Mueller said he believed fulfilled all 3 necessary requirements for criminal obstruction. Then Barr took it upon himself to decide that it wasn't enough evidence for obstruction charges and that Trump was then off the hook.

For this maybe he'll do the opposite. The actual report will say that there isn't enough evidence to say that anything improper was done in the lead up to the Russia investigation, but Barr will take what evidence he can scrounge out of their report and decide on his own that it's enough evidence to start trying to investigate/charge people with crimes. 

Edited by mistertim

4 minutes ago, mistertim said:

For this maybe he'll do the opposite. The actual report will say that there isn't enough evidence to say that anything improper was done in the lead up to the Russia investigation, but Barr will take what evidence he can scrounge out of their report and decide on his own that it's enough evidence to start trying to investigate/charge people with crimes. 

They've already been doing this for 2 years. This was the Nunes memo, Giuliani's incoherent ramblings, Trump's twitter etc.

It just wasn't effective so now they are making a grand production out of it by getting a hack AG to promote the same one-sided slant pieces such as "unmasking" and "illegal surveillance" as a legitimate concern from the DOJ. These are people still running off the hilariously debunked idea that the Steele dossier, paid for by Dems was what started the investigation in the first place. 

And to really help sell it, we'll throw around treason and the death penalty against those that legitimately investigated us. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1